Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Geolocation of worst offenders who try to probe/hack your site? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Geolocation of worst offenders who try to probe/hack your site?

2»

Comments

1. China
    2. India
    3. USA
  • Only problem I have with stereotyping this is how do you know when the database you are using to correlate information is updated?

What I mean is how do you know the geolocation information is accurate unless you do a trace yourselves?

Remember I can "claim" I own the moon does not make it true.

Sorry just sick of all the misinformation running around on everything in this age.

• @fluffernutter said:
    Dropping all traffic from ColoCrossing, DediPath, OVH, M247, QuadraNet, China, India, and Hetzner (as well as any provider offering free trials or free credit) basically reduces abuse to 0. Listed the biggest offenders but there's definitely more. ColoCrossing and DediPath are where most of the layer 7 DDoS originates from, and I've gotten some massive floods from DO/Linode.

Sure, i also block googlecloud, aws and azure.

• @beanman109 said:
    Was China until I used Crowdsec to ban all 110 million IP's from Chinanet on all my servers.
    Now it's honestly a fairly even mix most of the time.

how can i block 110 mio. ips from china?

• @hyperblast said: how can i block 110 mio. ips from china?

I actually wrote a simple guide on how to do this the other day!
    If you have Crowdsec & you're interested you can find it here - https://lexnet.cc/other/block-all-chinanet-ip-crowdsec/

Thanked by 2hyperblast jlet88
  • @AuroraZero said:
    Only problem I have with stereotyping this is how do you know when the database you are using to correlate information is updated?

What I mean is how do you know the geolocation information is accurate unless you do a trace yourselves?

Remember I can "claim" I own the moon does not make it true.

Sorry just sick of all the misinformation running around on everything in this age.

You can never be 100% certain of course, but when it comes to statistics and patterns it doesn't really matter.

If I have 1 million attacks and 90% of them seem to originate from Asia, chances are that a major part of all attacks originate from Asia. I do not really care if 1% of them are spoofed or if 10% are actually from the US but use a vpn from Asia. For me, that is not the important part of the data.
    Also, the geolocation data these days is usually pretty good. At least good enough to plot million of attacks and get a pretty good overview.
    I don't really know what you mean by your "claim" statement. If China Telecom owns an ip range and they say it is located in China, then I would not call it a bold claim to assume that an ip in that range is in China.

If I can use data that is 99% correct to block out 99% of all attacks, that's fine by me.

• emgemg Veteran

First: I find this real world data very interesting. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

Second: -> What tools are people using these days to get this information? Are they analyzing log files offline or using a realtime tool of some kind?

• nobody wants to hack into my idling vps

• Russia, Russia, Russia, France?
    Don't ask, and no, i don't run java

• @fluffernutter said:
    Dropping all traffic from ColoCrossing, DediPath, OVH, M247, QuadraNet, China, India, and Hetzner (as well as any provider offering free trials or free credit) basically reduces abuse to 0. Listed the biggest offenders but there's definitely more. ColoCrossing and DediPath are where most of the layer 7 DDoS originates from, and I've gotten some massive floods from DO/Linode.

Personally recieved a large L7 from DediPath network, reported to abuse and nothing was done about it, let alone was my report acknowledged.

• @emg said:
    First: I find this real world data very interesting. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

Second: -> What tools are people using these days to get this information? Are they analyzing log files offline or using a realtime tool of some kind?

Agreed! I really appreciate people sharing their experiences! Very interesting info!

• @Cluster said:

@fluffernutter said:

Personally recieved a large L7 from DediPath network, reported to abuse and nothing was done about it, let alone was my report acknowledged.

Yeah @Ernie says abuse is handled but with how blacklisted their ASN is I sort of doubt that, haven't ever even bothered to send abuse reports over. Good to see they handle them as expected.

• pointgodpointgod Member
    edited January 2023

@emg said:
    What tools are people using these days to get this information? Are they analyzing log files offline or using a realtime tool of some kind?

Both are viable methods to get the info, though a logging platform is way more fun to look at.

I have a honeypot running on one of my hosthatch servers that is designed to collect this information for this type of analysis. https://github.com/telekom-security/tpotce Here's some dashboard screenshots of data from the past 30 days with well over 4million hits.

Top attacking countries (Netherlands takes the lead this month)

Countries and the ports they attack (VNC always a popular target)

Thanked by 2emg jlet88
  • @emg said: Second: -> What tools are people using these days to get this information? Are they analyzing log files offline or using a realtime tool of some kind?

Crowdsec handles it all for me, I just log into the dashboard every now & then and look at the stats when I'm bored.

Thanked by 1emg
  • @emg said:
    What tools are people using these days to get this information? Are they analyzing log files offline or using a realtime tool of some kind?

Everything logs to a Graylog and from there I use the dashboards available in Graylog or use Grafana to visualize the data. Both Graylog and Grafana have pretty good integration with geolocation data so that's not even an issue, it just works.

Thanked by 1emg
  • Russia, China, Iran

• chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
    edited January 2023

On Jan 29, in terms of unique source IP addresses:

1. USA 7,276
    2. China 4,002
    3. South Korea 1,744

3,944 IP addresses from Digital Ocean were detected.

I would guess most of them are compromised systems like malware-infected computers.