Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Experimenting with nextcloud and remote storage, can u assist me testing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Experimenting with nextcloud and remote storage, can u assist me testing?

This is just for personal stuff, but i have a thing for backups, both pcs, macs, phones and so on. Ive setup nextcloud, and im tinkering with rclone rules and so on to see what performance i can get with encryption and all this. There is a limit to what kinda load i can generate myself, and would appretiate if someone could assist me uploading and downloading some files for me.

As a thank you, ill let you keep and use the account. Shot me your discord!

Comments

• What kind of storage are you using? If you are using S3 Nextcloud supports it natively as primary storage and it's much faster than using Rclone for this. What do you need help with exactly?

• Agree with @vitobotta s3 worked well for me here. Unfortunately I tried it with contabo with mediocre results but something like s3, b2, r2 or your own s3 server with minio or seaweedfs would work well

• I am using Nextcloud on a GreenCloud budget VPS and using iDrive e2 (super cheap and very fast s3 compatible storage) as primary storage. Works beautifully

• @vitobotta said:
    I am using Nextcloud on a GreenCloud budget VPS and using iDrive e2 (super cheap and very fast s3 compatible storage) as primary storage. Works beautifully

Good shout. I gave up on nextcloud in the end. I just use caddy to serve files over http with seaweedfs for s3 on local storage.

• @bgerard said:

@vitobotta said:
    I am using Nextcloud on a GreenCloud budget VPS and using iDrive e2 (super cheap and very fast s3 compatible storage) as primary storage. Works beautifully

Good shout. I gave up on nextcloud in the end. I just use caddy to serve files over http with seaweedfs for s3 on local storage.

What problems did you have with Nextcloud? For a while I used Resilio Sync because it's way faster at syncing, but I was missing the web UI and sharing features of Nextcloud, so I set it up again.

• @vitobotta said:

@bgerard said:

@vitobotta said:

What problems did you have with Nextcloud? For a while I used Resilio Sync because it's way faster at syncing, but I was missing the web UI and sharing features of Nextcloud, so I set it up again.

I just found it a bit of a pain to get going behind a reverse proxy and generally sluggish when compared to owncloud. So I just ditched it entirely for basic http and file uploads via s3

• srch07srch07 Member
    edited January 2023

@bgerard said:

@vitobotta said:

Oh wow, learning something new everyday. I didn't knew about seaweedfs.
    So basically, you can pool a part of disk from multiple vps's to create a giant distributed volume like hdfs.

They do mention s3 compatibility, Any idea if it can work with NextCloud?

• bgerardbgerard Member
    edited January 2023

@srch07 said:

@bgerard said:

@vitobotta said:

Oh wow, learning something new everyday. I didn't knew about seaweedfs.
    So basically, you can pool a part of disk from multiple vps's to create a giant distributed volume like hdfs.

They do mention s3 compatibility, Any idea if it can work with NextCloud?

Basically yeah. Then you can run filer I think it's called on top which can act as your s3 gateway, fileserver etc. I'd recommend a read of their github, everything is explained there. The cool thing is, you can just add more servers as volume severs to increase capacity.

I haven't tried nextcloud with seaweedfs s3 but I imagine it'll work.

Another cool thing is you can use other cloud services as cold storage on top of seaweedfs. So you could keep all of your hot files that are frequently accesses on a vps with an ssd for example but have your less frequently accessed files on a vps with hdd or in backblaze b2 etc

If you setup master servers on each volume sever you also have HA, throw a load balancer on top and you have resilient blob storage

• Im running it through rclone and google drive. I have enterprise workspace, so i have virtually unlimited storage.

• So it looks like this is working fine. I can use a 10gbit server to pull a file through google drive, rclone and nextcloud at over 3gbit. Works perfectly fine.

I use the external storage support addon to do this, and simply set up /mnt/mountedstorage on the vps as "local" in the nextcloud settings. However, the option to share a folder with a link dissapears on those remote folders. Does anyone have a good solution to this?

I want to share a folder with files, to anyone who has the link, without needing to login. Someone must have done this before me? :)

• @Snusboks said:
    So it looks like this is working fine. I can use a 10gbit server to pull a file through google drive, rclone and nextcloud at over 3gbit. Works perfectly fine.

I use the external storage support addon to do this, and simply set up /mnt/mountedstorage on the vps as "local" in the nextcloud settings. However, the option to share a folder with a link dissapears on those remote folders. Does anyone have a good solution to this?

I want to share a folder with files, to anyone who has the link, without needing to login. Someone must have done this before me? :)

Please check:
    https://github.com/filebrowser/filebrowser

• Pay dropbox. Might be cheaper and you won't have to maintain servers. Use that free time to live the life, visit places, share moments with your family.

• @Hxxx said:
    Pay dropbox. Might be cheaper and you won't have to maintain servers. Use that free time to live the life, visit places, share moments with your family.

My running cost is under 30 euro / month on this. That includes a netcup RS server, and unlimited google drive storage, hosting over 300TB plex content, vpn, web, a game server, nextcloud and a ton of other things.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited January 2023

+plus the time for maintaining all that stuff.
    If you are just doing backups, file sharing, etc, using a paid backups service (not a VPS) might be worth it. Nowadays most of those are very cheap.

• SnusboksSnusboks Member
    edited January 2023

@Hxxx said:
    +plus the time for maintaining all that stuff.
    If you are just doing backups, file sharing, etc, using a paid backups service (not a VPS) might be worth it. Nowadays most of those are very cheap.

If i wanted just to share files i could use my existing google drive for that for free. However, i want to bake this into nextcloud. I asked for a solution to fix my issue, not to buy something totally different.

That said - Maintaince wont change if i have one more function in Nextcloud. This little setup generates well over $1100 / month in passive income for me, so it aint free work either. I rarely touch the setup either. It just runs flawless.

• @Snusboks said:

@Hxxx said:
    Pay dropbox. Might be cheaper and you won't have to maintain servers. Use that free time to live the life, visit places, share moments with your family.

My running cost is under 30 euro / month on this. That includes a netcup RS server, and unlimited google drive storage, hosting over 300TB plex content, vpn, web, a game server, nextcloud and a ton of other things.

You... have... 300... TERABYTES of Plex content?

• this guy might be a genius or this is all a lie.

• @Hxxx said:
    this guy might be a genius or this is all a lie.

Not a genious at all - Its just business.