Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which free control panel is the best?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which free control panel is the best?

timmyzhangtimmyzhang Member
edited January 2023 in General

Which free panel do you think is the best?
I mean in three ways,safety,reliability,usability...

I've tried Hestiacp (SSL issues), Cyberpanel(a little complex),Ajenti,Vesta(Not free for file management),AApanel...
For me I think aapanel is the best,but also heard that they upload private infomation.So I stop using it for satety reason.
What do you prefer?

Which is your favourite and you're using right now?
  1. Your favourite free control panel?122 votes
    1. Hestiacp
      22.95%
    2. aapanel
      21.31%
    3. Cyberpanel/Openlitespeed
      21.31%
    4. Ajenti
        0.82%
    5. keyhelp
        7.38%
    6. virtualmin
      11.48%
    7. other
      14.75%

Comments

• TrKTrK Member

The real question is what would you be using the panel for?

• @TrK said:
    The real question is what would you be using the panel for?

wordpress,owncloud...

• HestiaCP

(But don't ask the developer of it)

• VestaCP should not been used it contain multiple vulnrebilites that haven't been fixed but allready published...

• HestiaCP seems fine to me.
    SSL issues? Let's Encrypt can be installed with click or two without any issue. It also include wordpress and nextcloud quick install scripts per your requirements.

• TrKTrK Member

There are many panels and some of them are really good choices, if php is your main focus HestiaCP is a good choice and not to mention there is fastpanel, keyhelp, myvestacp and others like them. It's more of a choice between your thoughts than panels.

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

Have a read of https://rack911labs.ca/research/security-analysis-of-alternative-control-panels/

This report is a couple years old but still provides food for thought.

My personal suggestion would be Virtualmin. The developers are very responsive to bug reports which for me is a massive plus.

Thanked by 1Zyra
  • mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Cloudpanel

• Not on your list above, try these free panels and test how they perform....
    Fastpanel, Cloudpanel, Spanel

• @Mumbly said:
    HestiaCP seems fine to me.
    SSL issues? Let's Encrypt can be installed with click or two without any issue. It also include wordpress and nextcloud quick install scripts per your requirements.

But it always shows error when you try to put a cloudflare cert on it

• TrKTrK Member

@timmyzhang said:

@Mumbly said:
    HestiaCP seems fine to me.

But it always shows error when you try to put a cloudflare cert on it

Might be SSL settings on your cloudflare, try setting it up flexible or no ssl before issuing a Let'sencrypt cert.

• none.
    Always go paid (cPanel, DirectAdmin) or don't use one at all.

Thanked by 1Talistech
  • Keyhelp next version 23.1 will include Nginx (don't ask me if is nginx or nginx+apache), confirmed in the official forum.

For me Keyhelp is very stable, the only cons is the lack of Nginx and Openlitespeed / LiteSpeed.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • @Hxxx said:
    none.

lol what? They just have a cute UI.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited January 2023

@AndrewL64 said:

@Hxxx said:
    none.

lol what? They just have a cute UI.

No excuse for ignorance these days. You are not paying for good UI only, you are also paying for security, stability, well tested services. Audited code and a working stack that will save you time, etc.

While some of these use open source tech under the hood is not the same as installing a random "control panel" that some stranger published on github. Are you even inspecting the code of such panels you are installing? You might find that most free panels have some sort of shitty practices.

• @sandoz said:
    Keyhelp next version 23.1 will include Nginx (don't ask me if is nginx or nginx+apache), confirmed in the official forum.

For me Keyhelp is very stable, the only cons is the lack of Nginx and Openlitespeed / LiteSpeed.

That's a great news!

1. Hestia
    2. CloudPanel

I have never faced any SSL related issues on Hestia or CloudPanel.
    And CloudPanel do not support mail functionality.

Thanked by 2eris greentea
  • Caddy is so easy to config that doesn't even need to have a control panel.

• 1.a aPanel (much use resource, but all nice working).
    2. HestiaCP (good) im only have issue about email (can't receive email), now running on 512mb ram vps, 10gb ssd and WireGuard VPN.
    3. CyberPanel (i have issue with domain server panel).
    4. VestaCP (have issues in softaculous must pay for install wordpress).

• VestaCP is no longer being maintained. The suggestion is to switch panels and not use it. MyVesta has a script I believe to make it easier.

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited January 2023

@blackeye said:
    1.a aPanel (much use resource, but all nice working).
    2. HestiaCP (good) im only have issue about email (can't receive email), now running on 512mb ram vps, 10gb ssd and WireGuard VPN.

Did you try Keyhelp? I know they use Apache but great UI :)
    Should be nice to see feedback of you from it.

Thanked by 2blackeye WebProject
  • @sandoz said:

@blackeye said:
    1.a aPanel (much use resource, but all nice working).

Did you try Keyhelp? I know they use Apache but great UI :)
    Should be nice to see feedback of you from it.

Never try it. But thanks for suggestion. I will install later :smiley:

• TrKTrK Member

@AuroraZero said:
    VestaCP is no longer being maintained. The suggestion is to switch panels and not use it. MyVesta has a script I believe to make it easier.

I think they do have that, i personally use fastpanel(and easypanel for docker) just because of the auth and 2FA, only if they support the fido keys as well, it would be a great UI to give to the clients.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @TrK said:

@AuroraZero said:
    VestaCP is no longer being maintained. The suggestion is to switch panels and not use it. MyVesta has a script I believe to make it easier.

I think they do have that, i personally use fastpanel(and easypanel for docker) just because of the auth and 2FA, only if they support the fido keys as well, it would be a great UI to give to the clients.

I thought he made one but was not sure anymore. Personally HestiaCP works great for what I need it for but that's me.

I am a bit odd as well though I don't care for everything GUI all the time.

Thanked by 2TrK eris
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Hestiacp, webmin and virtualmin for personal projects.

Personally tested the Cyberpanel and both occasions didn’t like it due to script was crashing and very slow panel.

Thanked by 1eris
  • Not to mention the CyberPanel dev thinks he is God's gift to coding or some shit.

Never ask the dude a question his answers are condescending as all hell.

Thanked by 3WebProject kidrock kdh
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@AuroraZero said:
    Not to mention the CyberPanel dev thinks he is God's gift to coding or some shit.

Never ask the dude a question his answers are condescending as all hell.

Great to hear that 😂😂

Thanked by 1AuroraZero
  • Gave Cyberpanel a spin a few weeks ago and IMO, it is not ready for prime time as there are a few uneven issues with domains.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

HestiaCP, Cloudpanel and Keyhelp.

• Tony40Tony40 Member
    edited January 2023

Keyhelp by a long shot, KH, has many security features that none of those panels have.

Thanked by 1sebkehl