Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple Has Begun Scanning Users Files EVEN WITH iCloud TURNED OFF
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apple Has Begun Scanning Users Files EVEN WITH iCloud TURNED OFF

In this video Mental Outlaw discusses how several news medias have announced that Apple will no longer pursue scanning peoples iCloud accounts for CCAM and a blog post that appears to be showing that Apple is indeed scanning local filesystems on Mac OS without users consent (iCloud and analytics turned off).

1. Are you affected by Apple scanning your files for CSAM?25 votes
    1. Yes
      40.00%
    2. No
      60.00%

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

:smiley:

• really like how they try to push foreign politics down my throat, fucking disgusting company. can't wait to grab a pixel and flash Graphene on it.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@treesmokah said:
    really like how they try to push foreign politics down my throat, fucking disgusting company. can't wait to grab a pixel and flash Graphene on it.

Who cares they're not forcing you to use some wallpaper. Sell the phone if you don't like it lmao.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

@MikeA said:

@treesmokah said:
    really like how they try to push foreign politics down my throat, fucking disgusting company. can't wait to grab a pixel and flash Graphene on it.

Who cares they're not forcing you to use some wallpaper. Sell the phone if you don't like it lmao.

I have not paid 2x monthly minimum wage in my country to be reminded of stupid shit that never happened in my country.
    We had 0 slaves - ever. History month? Of what? Robbing stores lawlessly 1 year ago or slaves hundreds of years ago?
    I do not live past, I live in 2023.

And I will sell this phone, been with Apple for over a decade now(since iPhone 3GS) and they are getting worse and worse.
    Tim Cuck or Cock or whatever his name is can suck a dick.
    The only person from Apple that has my respect is Woz, and its good that he left the company - this shit is beyond repair at this point.

I want my phone to be used for calling, not for displaying how big goyslop consumer and Govt buttlicker I am.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2023

@treesmokah said:

@MikeA said:

@treesmokah said:

I have not paid 2x monthly minimum wage in my country to be reminded of stupid shit that never happened in my country.
    We had 0 slaves - ever. History month? Of what? Robbing stores lawlessly 1 year ago or slaves hundreds of years ago?
    I do not live past, I live in 2023.

And I will sell this phone, been with Apple for over a decade now(since iPhone 3GS) and they are getting worse and worse.
    Tim Cuck or Cock or whatever his name is can suck a dick.
    The only person from Apple that has my respect is Woz, and its good that he left the company - this shit is beyond repair at this point.

I want my phone to be used for calling, not for displaying how big goyslop consumer and Govt buttlicker I am.

Yeah I'll be honest man I never even read the update changelog for my phone. Seems like you have some pent up anger that is probably bad for you. Lots of other things to worry, like world hunger, human rights, about than your iPhone having an update that mentions a US holiday or whatever.

There's still one or two flip phones with 4G that you can buy.

• @treesmokah said:

Woz still is employed by Apple and still collects his checks (he never resigned, and was never fired), though obviously isn't actively working at Apple.

edited January 2023

@komdsfojn said:

@treesmokah said:

Woz still is employed by Apple and still collects his checks (he never resigned, and was never fired), though obviously isn't actively working at Apple.

Didn't know that. Thanks for pointing this out.
    However he clearly can speak against Apple like in Rights to Repair case where he openly criticized Apple for what it became.

Woz is what made Apple this popular in the first place, first flagship Apple products like iPhone 3GS were simply superior to competition. They used to provide real value - not only marketing.

• Like sundaymouse pointed out, Apple doesn't seem to be actually doing this.

I do trust Apple more than the other big tech companies - because Apple's bottom line does not depend on collecting user data. Apple has a simple business model - they sell devices (at a very healthy margin), and they sell services (which have an even bigger margin), plus some other stuff like collecting tax on App Store payments - basically they don't need to collect user data in the same way that Google, Facebook, Microsoft and others do. I definitely think Apple is much more trustworthy with user data - Apple went to war with the FBI because they did not want to put a backdoor on iPhones, their executives always place high emphasis on privacy, and more importantly, this does not hurt Apple financially (other big tech companies have convoluted business models which profit from collecting as much user data as possible).

So IMO self-hosting is definitely the most private option - but for big tech companies, Apple does offer more privacy than others.

Thanked by 2greentea fart
  • @treesmokah said: really like how they try to push foreign politics down my throat, fucking disgusting company. can't wait to grab a pixel and flash Graphene on it.

Same, except I have a samsung that wanted to download 2 games to finish the update :weary: why can I not just own my phone the way I want to own it. Pixel with Graphene will be so much better for privacy and comfort.

• bdlbdl Member

Thanked by 1greentea
  • "Are you affected by Apple scanning your files for CSAM?"

lmao what a nicely worded question.

Thanked by 2jar Void
  • We all know apple is better for third party tracking, because apple wants to keep your data for themselfs.

• TrKTrK Member

I aint giving my data especially the non-existing photos of myself, just get yourself a telephone line and ditch the so called smartphones thats the only possible way forward.

• @treesmokah said:

I have seen most people in Reddit Privacy subreddit opting for Graphene on Pixel coz they want everything private from mainly Google. But what I don't understand is if they are trying to escape Google, then why Pixel, since Pixel is Google's phone. Even though you can install Graphene, what if there is a secret backdoor from Google in Pixel which even Graphene cannot block it :o

• @kidrock said:

@treesmokah said:

I have seen most people in Reddit Privacy subreddit opting for Graphene on Pixel coz they want everything private from mainly Google. But what I don't understand is if they are trying to escape Google, then why Pixel, since Pixel is Google's phone. Even though you can install Graphene, what if there is a secret backdoor from Google in Pixel which even Graphene cannot block it :o

Google unironically is the most open in terms of hardware out of all Phone manufactures.
    There is of course possibility of a hardware backdoor, but they let you reverse engineer their stuff to shit - so I doubt they are hiding anything "important".

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • Most big US companies have to participate in the unfortunate practice of "virtue signalling" to please and/or appease various segments of the population. So you'll be seeing more of these kinds of updates from Apple and other "enlightened" companies. I try to ignore those comments in update notes because I see them for what they are -- marketing. Doesn't matter if it's a cause or issue I personally support, it really shouldn't be in there. But it's mostly harmless as long as they don't get too political. I'd prefer if they stick to technical notes in their release notes for sure though.

As for Graphene and Google Pixel phones, I have no trust in Google, so I'd avoid the Google Pixel TBH, but if Graphene or something similar supported other devices, I'd be open to it. I'd frankly prefer open source hardware too, or some generic phone OEM that doesn't have a history like Google and so many others. Then Graphene would be much more interesting to me. Preferably the whole stack -- from hardware to software -- needs to be as open as possible. It's early days though for things like this, and I applaud Graphene and hope it is a big success.

• emgemg Veteran

Based on what I read, I wonder whether people have jumped to conclusions. I did not watch the entire video, but I did read these links:

This is the alarmist point of view and the link was highlighted in the YouTube video posted by the OP above. They found network traffic that they did not understand, associated with viewing images on the screen. They assume that it is CSAM-related:
    https://sneak.berlin/20230115/macos-scans-your-local-files-now/

This is more detailed view of the network traffic in question. It is not alarmist and adds clarification:
    https://eclecticlight.co/2023/01/18/is-apple-checking-images-we-view-in-the-finder/

• @treesmokah said:

They spelled it "honour". What country was that? UK?

edited January 2023

@TimboJones said:

@treesmokah said:

They spelled it "honour". What country was that? UK?

I have british english language because it fits me better.
    No AM/PM time shit.

I'm not British, neither do I live in UK.

• If you aren't holding CSAM then you have nothing to worry about - conspiracies aside.

edited January 2023

@dahartigan said:
    If you aren't holding CSAM then you have nothing to worry about - conspiracies aside.

How can you prove that they are only scanning for CSAM?
    Even Apple does not know what they are scanning for, they obviously never seen and will never see this material.
    All they get is an outsourced hashlist of bad material.

If Govt or whatever approached this company and gave them a hash and force them to add it to their database for whatever reason.
    You would not know but you would be on Govt radar for storing something they don't like(even tho its not CSAM).

• @treesmokah said: How can you prove that they are only scanning for CSAM?

I can't and neither can you to the contrary. We just have to assume that on the face value, they are scanning for CSAM as they say they are. CSAM = bad and anyone who says otherwise needs to be on a list.

• Here is what I don't get what makes you think they haven't been doing for years?

Oh I know they say they don't but are you silly enough to believe that?

If there is money to be made all the big boys are going to be making it. That is one thing you can count on.

• emgemg Veteran

Conspiracy theories can be fun and there are lots of gullible people who believe them. Before you start buying into anything like that, ask yourself, "What would it take to approve, implement, deploy, and maintain whatever it is and keep it a secret? How many people are the minimum who would be involved?"

Apple may or may not be scanning personal files using local system resources, but stop for a moment and think about what it would take to do it and keep it a secret. Several senior executives would be involved for sure, plus legal, engineering, operations, and those who liaise with many law enforcement entities. After you catch someone, how do you convey the information? How do they act on it and use it in a trial without disclosing sources and methods?

How do you keep customers and researchers from uncovering it? Will they notice the scanning or communications activity? What are the risks to Apple and it's carefully built reputation for taking the side of user privacy if the operation is disclosed or publicized? Are the benefits worth the risks?

Maybe Apple is actually scanning customer files for CSAM. If so, think about all that must be in place to keep it a secret while doing it. I am not saying that it can't or won't happen, but it would take a lot to achieve success without being discovered (ever!), and the risks to Apple may be high.

• @dahartigan said:
    If you aren't holding CSAM then you have nothing to worry about - conspiracies aside.

Actually, if you've bought every iPhone generation up until now and then suddenly stop using it, you're put on a list.

Thanked by 1dahartigan