Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ipv4 connectivity on ipv6-only box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ipv4 connectivity on ipv6-only box

i am currently dealing with an ipv6-only box without any nat64 solution by the host.

as of yet i am able to access ipv4-only websites using google's dns64 service, but i have no way to connect to the box via ipv4.

any straightforward ways to self-host the above and setup your own "nat64" using an existing box with open ipv4 ports? i don't need to have all the traffic be routed, only routing a few ports will suffice.

p.s.: i am aware of third-party services that help you achieve the same, such as cloudflare's option. i am trying to see if this can be done using another vps with both ipv4 and ipv6 connectivity.

Comments

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep
  • @FatGrizzly said:
    @yoursunny the v6 god is always here to help!

https://yoursunny.com/t/2020/EUserv-IPv4/

thanks for sharing! will check it out. sorry if this was already shared earlier.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@jignes_k said: without any nat64 solution by the host.

as of yet i am able to access ipv4-only websites using google's dns64 service

If you can, then they do provide NAT64 after all.

Another solution is just to get IPv6 wherever you are, then you can access any IPv6 VPS or service, not just this one. For example by getting a tunnel from https://route48.org/
    Or if you have another VPS with both v4 and v6, setting up your own VPN with IPv6 support via that one.

• @jignes_k said:

@FatGrizzly said:

thanks for sharing! will check it out. sorry if this was already shared earlier.

@FatGrizzly i tried to give this a go but my noob ass was unable to replicate the steps. for instance, the addresses i have at my end were not clear.

nat64.xyz and other sites only give prefix address, but not more, such as their ipv4 gateway. any public offering where it is all explicitly mentioned? NA location would be nice.

• jignes_kjignes_k Member
    edited January 2023

@rm_ said:

@jignes_k said: without any nat64 solution by the host.

as of yet i am able to access ipv4-only websites using google's dns64 service

If you can, then they do provide NAT64 after all.

Another solution is just to get IPv6 wherever you are, then you can access any IPv6 VPS or service, not just this one. For example by getting a tunnel from https://route48.org/
    Or if you have another VPS with both v4 and v6, setting up your own VPN with IPv6 support via that one.

could you elaborate on that? what is their prefix for one? the standard prefix does not seem to work for me when i use their dns server.

also, i am able to access my box just fine via ipv6, but i'd like the server to still resolve direct ipv4 connections if possible. dns can only help in hostname resolution to ipv6.

edited January 2023

@jignes_k said: could you elaborate on that? what is their prefix for one? the standard prefix does not seem to work for me when i use their dns server.

You said:

@jignes_k said: as of yet i am able to access ipv4-only websites using google's dns64 service

Is that still the case? Google DNS64 resolves to the standard NAT64 prefix, and it's not like Google provides the actual NAT64 for you. If accessing sites still works, then it's your provider who does.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@jignes_k said:

@jignes_k said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@FatGrizzly i tried to give this a go but my noob ass was unable to replicate the steps. for instance, the addresses i have at my end were not clear.

nat64.xyz and other sites only give prefix address, but not more, such as their ipv4 gateway. any public offering where it is all explicitly mentioned? NA location would be nice.

What wasn't clear? I was mentioning the VXLAN setup.

• You can get a NAT vps for few dollars per year, then set up a VPN solution.

• @rm_ said:

@jignes_k said: could you elaborate on that? what is their prefix for one? the standard prefix does not seem to work for me when i use their dns server.

You said:

@jignes_k said: as of yet i am able to access ipv4-only websites using google's dns64 service

Is that still the case? Google DNS64 resolves to the standard NAT64 prefix, and it's not like Google provides the actual NAT64 for you. If accessing sites still works, then it's your provider who does.

maybe i was not clear in my wording above.

when you want to access an ipv4 site only, the dns64 service takes care of address resolution. however, if you want to access an ipv4 address directly, e.g. 1.1.1.1, i cannot just add the nat64 prefix + the ipv4 address to connect to it.

this (and the opposite case of being able to access my ipv6 box via a shared ipv4 address) is what i am trying to achieve.

• @FatGrizzly said:

@jignes_k said:

@jignes_k said:

@FatGrizzly said:

What wasn't clear? I was mentioning the VXLAN setup.

sadly i am too inexperienced to figure out if this works for my situation.

• @comXyz said:
    You can get a NAT vps for few dollars per year, then set up a VPN solution.

will that allow me to use the ipv4 machine to act like a router for the ipv6 machine?

edited January 2023

@jignes_k said: when you want to access an ipv4 site only, the dns64 service takes care of address resolution. however, if you want to access an ipv4 address directly, e.g. 1.1.1.1, i cannot just add the nat64 prefix + the ipv4 address to connect to it.

You are not being clear now either. DNS64 takes care of address resolution only. If the resulting IP it gives you (the standard NAT64 prefix + the encoded IPv4) is actually connectable on your provider, as you said it was, there is no reason adding the same NAT64 prefix to IPs manually shouldn't work just as well.

• @rm_ said:

@jignes_k said: when you want to access an ipv4 site only, the dns64 service takes care of address resolution. however, if you want to access an ipv4 address directly, e.g. 1.1.1.1, i cannot just add the nat64 prefix + the ipv4 address to connect to it.

You are not being clear now either. DNS64 takes care of address resolution only. If the resulting IP it gives you (the standard NAT64 prefix + the encoded IPv4) is actually connectable on your provider, as you said it was, there is no reason adding the same NAT64 prefix to IPs manually shouldn't work just as well.

after some trial and error i realized some prefixes work but some don't. i can now manually append them in front of an address every time i want to use one, but this only helps with one half of the equation.

i will try to understand things by myself before i start making sense i suppose.