Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best email hosting providers for one (1) person in 2023?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best email hosting providers for one (1) person in 2023?

Providers like MXRoute have plans that are too large (therefore too expensive,) and others bundle many things I’m not interested in like calendars and webmail. NexusBytes seems the most like what I’m looking for, but they’re on fire right now.

Comments

• If there was a nearlyfreespeech equivalent tor email hosting, I would be interested.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

https://tutanota.com/ - Encrypted, Good privacy policy, Free Speech(rare in Germany) and only 1 EUR / mo(if you don't need a custom domain, you will be good with their free plan).
    The only downside is lack for SMTP, IMAP etc. but their clients are fairly decent and work pretty much on any platform natively. In return you get Encryption on rest and E2E with compatible emails.

Also, if MXRoute plans are too big for you - you can use one of their resellers. I recently grabbed a MXRoute plan from https://yuzhen.cloud/ @YuzhenQin and it works great.

If you want to pay with crypto for some reason - yuzhen accepts crypto natively on their site and for tutanota you can use a trusted reseller like https://digitalgoods.proxysto.re/en

Thanked by 1dev077
  • I have good experience before with migadu, they support fast (by mail)

• kdhkdh Member

Purelymail is also a decent option. I've used them for a while.

Thanked by 2nick_ Erisa
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

@hiddenpuzzle said:
    If there was a nearlyfreespeech equivalent tor email hosting, I would be interested.

There are a few no-javascript emails on Onionland, but you don't want to trust them with anything other than sending death threats anonymously and shit like that(and they obviously don't support custom domains + most of them are run by DNM kingpins).
    Tutanota sadly requires JS to work, but wont block Tor usage(they even encourage usage of it), combined with a crypto payment which I described in my first post, you can get a pseudo-anon account there.

• can you explain to me what a reseller is? i can gather they resell the hosting plans for providers, but how and why? is it like a used treadmill, where people who don’t want it anymore sell it for a fraction of the cost? does my MXRoute plan I buy from a reseller let me directly interact with MXRoute or is the reseller act like the provider?

It just seems sketchy to me, with the information I have currently. Some company selling another company’s services for waaay cheaper than they sell it.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

icloud if you already have it

• nick_nick_ Member
    edited January 2023

+1 for Purelymail. I've been using them in production for almost 2 years. No issues so far. Only $10/year.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@hiddenpuzzle said:

can you explain to me what a reseller is? i can gather they resell the hosting plans for providers, but how and why? is it like a used treadmill, where people who don’t want it anymore sell it for a fraction of the cost? does my MXRoute plan I buy from a reseller let me directly interact with MXRoute or is the reseller act like the provider?

It just seems sketchy to me, with the information I have currently. Some company selling another company’s services for waaay cheaper than they sell it.

You'll be dealing with the respective companies/resellers, and not directly with @jar (MXroute).

MXroute do offer reseller packages by the way.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@hiddenpuzzle said: Some company selling another company’s services for waaay cheaper than they sell it.

I go out of my way to make sure that my resellers can compete with me. For assuming the role of handling sales and basic support, I want to offer them financial success in return.

• @hiddenpuzzle said:
    If there was a nearlyfreespeech equivalent tor email hosting, I would be interested.

LunaNode has email hosting that charges based on what you use. Price is $0.20/month per GB of storage and $0.10 per 1,000 emails sent (with a free allowance if you spend at least $3/month on any other services).

I've had a good experience with their cloud servers but haven't tried the email hosting yet.

https://lunanode.com/features/email

• @treesmokah said:
    https://tutanota.com/ - Encrypted, Good privacy policy, Free Speech(rare in Germany) and only 1 EUR / mo(if you don't need a custom domain, you will be good with their free plan).
    The only downside is lack for SMTP, IMAP etc. but their clients are fairly decent and work pretty much on any platform natively. In return you get Encryption on rest and E2E with compatible emails.

Tutanota free tier has no option to search old emails. A big downside.

• @ericls said:
    icloud if you already have it

this is interesting. i am included in an icloud+ plan, so this free email hosting is available to me. is there a catch of it only being usable with apple mail clients? or can i plug in the imap/smtp addresses into any mail client? if icloud email lets me use acme mail and alpine, then this would be a viable option.

• so far, 1poundmail, purelymail, and lunanode seem to match the kind of service i was looking for. in case anyone was wondering.

Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • @kdh said:

A second recommendation for Purelymail, excellent service.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@jar said:

@hiddenpuzzle said: Some company selling another company’s services for waaay cheaper than they sell it.

I go out of my way to make sure that my resellers can compete with me. For assuming the role of handling sales and basic support, I want to offer them financial success in return.

I've always wanted to ask this, sounds like the perfect time. Can a reseller access my account or do you have any restrictions on that?

Thanked by 3jar dev077 dosai
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@FatGrizzly said:

@jar said:

I've always wanted to ask this, sounds like the perfect time. Can a reseller access my account or do you have any restrictions on that?

They can go as far as to drop into any of your inboxes at any time using DirectAdmin, so make sure you trust your reseller. For this purpose it’s equivalent to shared web hosting.

Thanked by 2FatGrizzly yoursunny
  • @kdh said:

@nick_ said:
    +1 for Purelymail. I've been using them in production for almost 2 years. No issues so far. Only $10/year.

I checked them recently but was put off by the list of drawbacks, in particular "Occasionally, obscure email servers will block emails sent through us. Usually this can be resolved within a day or two".

@ipguru said:

@kdh said:

A second recommendation for Purelymail, excellent service.

Question for you @kdh , @nick_ and @ipguru : Has it happened to you / have you had deliverability issues? Also, how much storage do you use?

• Question for you @kdh , @nick_ and @ipguru : Has it happened to you / have you had deliverability issues? Also, how much storage do you use?

I have about 10 separate accounts using limited amounts of storage but have not experienced any issues in the last two years.

• fastmail.fm

Thanked by 2nick_ jignes_k
  • @vitobotta said: Question for you @kdh , @nick_ and @ipguru : Has it happened to you / have you had deliverability issues? Also, how much storage do you use?

I use Purelymail mainly on my Discourse forums to send out emails, and no deliverability issues from what I have seen.

• also consider mine.

• mailbox.org from 1 EUR pm

• ardaarda Member
    edited January 2023

+1 to icloud+ for single usage. It aliases your custom domain to @ icloud.com email address, and you can directly use it as dispatch mails. Additionally, depending on your location, you can benefit from local pricing. I've been using for almost a year and it works nicely for a single user custom domain.

• lowenddudelowenddude Member
    edited January 2023

Do most of these provide a catch all that just forwards any email sent to @someDomain to another email address? I use that a lot, but as simple as it sounds not everyone has that functionality.

• @JohnFilch123 said:
    mailbox.org from 1 EUR pm

check mb-org and its company behind very carefully and think about whether you want to entrust your emails to such a provider.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@hiddenpuzzle Sorry that I am late to ths thread. I too am a reseller of MXroute.

You can see what I offer at https://anydomain.email. Sorry the website sucks, I sell email, not design web sites. :tongue:

You can also visit the cart to see the full range of plans I offer, or if you want something custom, just let me know.

https://clients.anydomain.net/order/main/index/rsl

• @hyperblast said:

@JohnFilch123 said:

check mb-org and its company behind very carefully and think about whether you want to entrust your emails to such a provider.

I would really appreciate if you could send me a DM with information on them.
    I through they were a reasonably good provider, but seems like I was wrong.

• @hyperblast said:

@JohnFilch123 said:

what is wrong with that company?