Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FBI Launches Investigation into EPIK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FBI Launches Investigation into EPIK

https://www.criticalhit.net/technology/fbi-launch-investigation-into-epik/

Thoughts? Opinions?

@terrahost do you have any insights you can share? Will anyone at Terrahost be impacted? If not no worries, just figured I'd bring this to people's attention.

Thanked by 1_MS_

Comments

• An FBI investigation into Epik has begun (...) The investigation and evidence collection phase has been taking place for many weeks.

:confused:

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Ooof

• Hopefully they stay afloat and don't change their free speech domain policy.

• kaitkait Member
    edited January 2023

They stated before that if epik goes bankrupt terrahost can easily survive on its own, hope epik survives and get their shit together because its a strong freedom of expression domain registrar that only listens to laws.

• Any credible source?
    I believe if this was the case, it would not be FBI investigating them but some other agency like IRS or SEC.

edited January 2023

@kait said:
    They stated before that if epik goes bankrupt terrahost can easily survive on its own, hope epik survives and get their shit together because its a strong freedom of expression domain registrar that only listens to laws.

As long as moneybucks money wasn't used in their buyout, then I'd say you're correct.

Thanked by 1kait
  • @MannDude said:

@kait said:

As long as moneybucks money wasn't used in their buyout, then I'd say you're correct.

Likely a bug, but still made me giggle a little bit.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Probably that fbqc (federal bureau of questionable clowns) "investigation" should be seen as a modern version of making the victims noble men.

Whatever, my trust in Rob Monster is orders of magnitude higher than my trust in the federal clown bureau.

Thanked by 1crunchbits
  • Are they still hosting websites for Nazis? 🤔

• @bamboo4409 said:
    Are they still hosting websites for Nazis? 🤔

Doesn't matter if they do, hosting websites for "nazis" is not illegal.

Thanked by 1kait
  • (grabbing popcorns and see how it's unfolding...

• @bamboo4409 said:

If one can host websites for Churchill fans then others can host for nazis as well.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2023

@kait said:

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2023

Having personally witnessed the FBI using underhanded tactics to try to nail people that they didn’t like, looking for justification just because a few of them were upset at the person, meh (won’t elaborate publicly). Not a big fan of the corrupt police (as if there’s much of any other kind) these days.

Most people support police when they’re going after someone they don’t like, but I think it’s quite reasonable to dislike someone and also someone else who also dislikes them.

• @jar said:
    Having personally witnessed the FBI using underhanded tactics to try to nail people that they didn’t like

This is also said by the delusional person standing in a busy downtown U.S. city with an amplified sound device.

What makes your view different?

Thanked by 1ouq
    edited January 2023

@jiggawattz said:

@jar said:
    Having personally witnessed the FBI using underhanded tactics to try to nail people that they didn’t like

This is also said by the delusional person standing in a busy downtown U.S. city with an amplified sound device.

What makes your view different?

If you had any interest in being anything but an asshole you’d ask privately without first comparing me to your negative opinion of someone else in an insulting manner. So I guess “fuck off” is the best answer to your question.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @jar You just insulted police by implying that they are all, in a blanket statement, corrupt.

Not a big fan of the corrupt police (as if there’s much of any other kind

With whom should we replace them? Can I start making political speech and gain automatic immunity from all crime too?

Thanked by 4Mumbly fart iKeyZ mrTom

Sorry @jiggawattz, I didn’t mean to insult you. I’ll mail you an “I back the blue” sign for you to hang under your Trump 2020 banner.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited January 2023

Have a good evening @jar

By the way, https://www.criticalhit.net does not look like credible journalism. The home page looks like cheap click bait and pump-and-dump scams. @HalfEatenPie shouldn’t really post that crap here.

Thanked by 2jar treesmokah
  • lol how this thread is not moderated is very telling. im avoid every provider enjoying the slander, these are shit anyway

• @treesmokah said:
    Any credible source?
    I believe if this was the case, it would not be FBI investigating them but some other agency like IRS or SEC.

sure there is a case... politically motivated, I bet!

• @bamboo4409 said:

who? the fbi?

• Its concerning to me that so many people are moving away from free speech as a virtue enshrined in law to free speech but with exceptions that exclude hate speech.

An investigation itself means nothing and things like that happen for political reasons all the time.

• @internetwarrior said:
    lol how this thread is not moderated is very telling. im avoid every provider enjoying the slander, these are shit anyway

Well, mxeoute email are flying perfectly. So at least jarlandino is not shit.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited January 2023

@internetwarrior said:
    lol how this thread is not moderated is very telling. im avoid every provider enjoying the slander, these are shit anyway

It's not really slander. There is a giant thread about this on namepros from impacted customers: https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-fund-cant-be-withdrawal-from-epik-com-via-masterbucks-wallet.1284050/

Customers unable to cash out for months, conflicting information provided as to why, etc. Many owed thousands, some owed tens of thousands.

Read that thread, or at the very least skim it (it's over 150 pages). If half of it is true, it stands to reason the FBI would in fact be interested in Epik.

If true, then this isn't a case of the big bad alphabet agencies going after the little innocent business for no reason. We're talking millions in potential fraud. That's something that will catch the eye of the feds when you have so many victims impacted.

Thanked by 1kait
  • @trycatchthis said:
    Its concerning to me that so many people are moving away from free speech as a virtue enshrined in law to free speech but with exceptions that exclude hate speech.

An investigation itself means nothing and things like that happen for political reasons all the time.

Before you continue, you might want to note that what's currently happening -- at least as reported -- doesn't concern free speech or exceptions to free speech

Thanked by 3MannDude jar maverickp
  • @angstrom said:
    Before you continue, you might want to note that what's currently happening -- at least as reported -- doesn't concern free speech or exceptions to free speech

I think its relevant.

In this thread it was already asked if Epik is hosting Nazi websites. That is not something that is illegal in the US. During the cold war communist backed organizations like the ADL would defend Nazis even though they hated them because they wanted the free speech argument to apply to Communists too.

They are many people who don't like the idea of free speech and want to limit what others can legally say on both the left and the right and using law enforcement to harass free speech platforms is one way of avoiding first amendment laws.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @trycatchthis said:

@angstrom said:

I think its relevant.

In this thread it was already asked if Epik is hosting Nazi websites. That is not something that is illegal in the US. During the cold war communist backed organizations like the ADL would defend Nazis even though they hated them because they wanted the free speech argument to apply to Communists too.

They are many people who don't like the idea of free speech and want to limit what others can legally say on both the left and the right and using law enforcement to harass free speech platforms is one way of avoiding first amendment laws.

That's all fine and well, but:
    You can think or imagine many things, but in general in life, it's nevertheless a good/sound strategy to try to distinguish between what is reported as happening (which if correct, is actually happening) and what you think or imagine is happening

At least at this time, I haven't seen a (credible) report that what's currently happening concerns free speech or an exception to free speech, but if you know of one, please don't hesitate to share a link

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@MannDude said:

@internetwarrior said:

It's not really slander. ...
    If true, then this isn't a case of the big bad alphabet agencies going after the little innocent business for no reason. We're talking millions in potential fraud. That's something that will catch the eye of the feds when you have so many victims impacted.

If so, we - and the clown bureau - just experience what happens if a state-run corrupt and rotten clown bureau f_cks up so consistently, badly, and frankly IMO often criminally, that nobody in their right mind gives a flying f_ck about their allegations.

Or, put differently: (if you are right and I presume you are) this is a case in which it would be very useful if Murrica still had some kind of credible and trustworthy federal police.

But alas, it has not.

• I'm just here for the circlejerk

Thanked by 1kait