Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Installing Nextcloud on a faster NVM vps & using raid hdd of another vps in the same DC?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Installing Nextcloud on a faster NVM vps & using raid hdd of another vps in the same DC?

I have 2 vps from the same provider in the same DC with vlan( that doesn’t cound towards bandwidth utilized):
vps alpha is a vps with single non dedicated core , 2gb ram and raid hdd of 1tb.
vps gamma is a much faster 2 dedicated cores vps with 40gb nvme ,4gb ram

My ideal setup wud be a very snappy nextcloud installation. Although nextcloud works fine if installed directly on vps alpha, I have been wondering if it would be better to install nextcloud on vps gamma and mount the disk from vps alpha in gamma.

Q 1) Is that a viable long-term solution or am I setting myself up for failure?

Q 2) Also, if that is a viable solution, how should I go about mounting the drive of vps alpha in vps gamma ? I have seen online that there are multiple options

Q 3) is there any video transcoding plugin for nc that I can use to limit/convert every uploaded video to a certain maximum resolution?

I look forward to your ideas, thank you.

Comments

• I use an S3 compatible service (iDrive e2) as primary storage for Nextcloud and it's very snappy. My Nextcloud instance is on a budget VPS with a small disk, no performance issues.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@vitobotta said:
    I use an S3 compatible service (iDrive e2) as primary storage for Nextcloud and it's very snappy. My Nextcloud instance is on a budget VPS with a small disk, no performance issues.

Best advice ever :smile:

Thanked by 2raza19 vitobotta
  • raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited January 2023

@vitobotta said:
    I use an S3 compatible service (iDrive e2) as primary storage for Nextcloud and it's very snappy. My Nextcloud instance is on a budget VPS with a small disk, no performance issues.

The issue arises with high res videos, sometimes when I'm travelling I don't really have access to nice networks and streaming videos can be a real hassle. Additionally, I want to make few nextcloud accounts on this instance for my family and some work related accounts. I kinda feel data spent on storing and streaming large video files is a major waste when eg 1080p wud do as well as 4k when watching something on phone, pc and most screens lesser than 40 inches. So, I've always wanted to have this video resolution conversion thing built into next cloud like how Google drive converts video resolution for storage on the free tier albeit on my nextcloud a slightly higher resolution wud be ideal. Henceforth, in the back of my mind I've wanted a slightly beefier server for video res conversions but I seek ur guidance in the matter.

• If your vps alpha (as storage) is mounted on your vps gamma, is the bandwidth of your vps alpha counted too when we start streaming or opening images?

my vps alpha has a lower bandwidth quota than vps gamma.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @ariq01 said:
    If your vps alpha (as storage) is mounted on your vps gamma, is the bandwidth of your vps alpha counted too when we start streaming or opening images?

my vps alpha has a lower bandwidth quota than vps gamma.

Same thing but for all practical purposes the bandwidth can be considered to be unlimited in this case.

Nevertheless, how is ur experience with running such a system and how have u mounted alpha's disk on gamma? Smb, nextcloud on nextcloud, etc?

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @raza19 said:

@vitobotta said:

The issue arises with high res videos, sometimes when I'm travelling I don't really have access to nice networks and streaming videos can be a real hassle. Additionally, I want to make few nextcloud accounts on this instance for my family and some work related accounts. I kinda feel data spent on storing and streaming large video files is a major over kill when eg 1080p wud do as well as 4k when watching something on phone, pc and most screens lesser than 40 inches. So, I've always wanted to have this video resolution conversion thing built into next cloud like how Google drive converts video resolution for storage on the free tier albeit on my nextcloud a slightly higher resolution wud be ideal. Henceforth, in the back of my mind I've wanted a slightly beefier server for video res conversions but I seek ur guidance in the matter.

Video transcoding is usually not viable without integrated or dedicated GPU. About which Formats (Codecs) are we talking?

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @snow2k said:

@raza19 said:

@vitobotta said:

The issue arises with high res videos, sometimes when I'm travelling I don't really have access to nice networks and streaming videos can be a real hassle. Additionally, I want to make few nextcloud accounts on this instance for my family and some work related accounts. I kinda feel data spent on storing and streaming large video files is a major over kill when eg 1080p wud do as well as 4k when watching something on phone, pc and most screens lesser than 40 inches. So, I've always wanted to have this video resolution conversion thing built into next cloud like how Google drive converts video resolution for storage on the free tier albeit on my nextcloud a slightly higher resolution wud be ideal. Henceforth, in the back of my mind I've wanted a slightly beefier server for video res conversions but I seek ur guidance in the matter.

Video transcoding is usually not viable without integrated or dedicated GPU. About which Formats (Codecs) are we talking?

Frankly I don't have much experience in the subject but can we not have something like a cron job running in the background that slowly converts videos to a slower resolution, not necessarily changing the codec in the process. So a slow cron job that limits cpu usage and takes days instead of converting videos on the fly shud be workable?

• @raza19 said:

@snow2k said:

@raza19 said:

@vitobotta said:

Frankly I don't have much experience in the subject but can we not have something like a cron job running in the background that slowly converts videos to a slower resolution, not necessarily changing the codec in the process. So a slow cron job that limits cpu usage and takes days instead of converting videos on the fly shud be workable?

This might bei possible. Watch out for ffmpeg

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @raza19 said:

how have u mounted alpha's disk on gamma? Smb, nextcloud on nextcloud, etc?

most obvious choice on private vlan would be nfs. If you feel fancy: nbd works also great.
    Other than that sshfs (preferably without compression) is always a good option. Might wanna look into autofs for automatic (re)mounting...

Thanked by 1raza19
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

iSCSI allows you to mount a huge file on storage VPS as a dik on compute VPS.
    The best is still putting everything on NVMe, saving the HDD for backup only.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @yoursunny said:
    The best is still putting everything on NVMe, saving the HDD for backup only.

Yes NVMe wud be ideal but it's pricey for data that I might not access in months. Wt I'm interested in knowing is whether such a thing like using 2 vps for nextcloud, one for compute and the other like block storage is even viable taking into consideration vlan & any issues that I might not foresee now but to an experienced nextcloud user are a matter of hindsight. Also, I want to use nextcloud to give structure to my very disorganized data like multiple copies of same media floating in different folders.

• @vitobotta said: iDrive e2

Is this a trustworthy hoster?

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @fendix said:

@vitobotta said: iDrive e2

Is this a trustworthy hoster?

It is. iDrive has a long history with storage services for backups both for consumers and businesses of any size. They recently introduced e2, an S3 compatible service. I have been using it for a few months both for storing assets and for backups, and it's rock solid. It's even faster than Wasabi from what I have seen. They still have an offer where the first year they charge only $4 (yes, only 4 bucks) for a whole Terabyte. After the first year it's $40 per terabyte, which is still ridiculously cheap. They handle massive amounts of data for their backup services, so I guess storage is cheap for them.

https://www.idrive.com/e2/

Thanked by 2raza19 fendix
  • @yoursunny said:

How do you do this?

Thanked by 1raza19
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@Falzo said: most obvious choice on private vlan would be nfs. If you feel fancy: nbd works also great.

NBD would be the most performant compared to NFS or SMB, as it allows the client VPS to cache everything "without looking back", since it is the only one accessing that storage.

@yoursunny said: iSCSI allows you to mount a huge file on storage VPS as a dik on compute VPS.

I'd suggest NBD mentioned above, which is a massively simpler version of iSCSI.

And rather than a big file, set up LVM on the storage VPS and export an LV. Could be a Thin LV too, in case the OP wants a dynamic separation between the storage amounts used by this client VPS and by the storage VPS itself (for other uses).

Thanked by 1raza19
  • Buyvm slice + slab?

Thanked by 1raza19