Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Windows VPS for less than 40 USD / year?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Windows VPS for less than 40 USD / year?

Hi folks, 

I am searching for a cheap Windows VPS. It is intended for experimentation and testing. So I do not want to spend much on it.

I appreciate all the suggestions you can provide!

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Microsoft azure 12 month free tier https://azure.Microsoft.com

Thanked by 2Sapcedor op23
  • AK_KWHAK_KWH Member, Patron Provider

can you please share your requirements it will be more easier for the provider to post offers

• Thank you but I am not interested in Cloud services such as Azure, AWS or OCI. I would like a "normal" VPS company and I want to pay for it :smile:

• You can get a VPS that allows you to upload your own ISO if the provider doesn't offer Windows. For example HostHatch allows this and had offerings in your price range.

• edrebeedrebe Member
    edited January 2023

There are stocks on Buyvm.net
    has Windows
    $3.5 a month

• Thank you guys, I got the one that you suggested @edrebe

• @edrebe said:
    has Windows
    $3.5 a month

Enough to run windows?!

• :smile: Yes it worked. Now better for better hardware

• @dotcomUNDERGROUND said:

@edrebe said:
    has Windows
    $3.5 a month

Enough to run windows?!

Yes, actually it is working quite well. As I see in the Task Manager, Windows is now using 0.5 GB ram, so still it is possible to use it with no issues.

Thanked by 1dotcomUNDERGROUND
  • @edrebe said:
    :smile: Yes it worked. Now better for better hardware

How long did it take for them to provision you the VPS?

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

@shajeeafzal said:

@edrebe said:

Buyvm provision it instantly . Just use proper details and don't use VPN while signup.

• @shajeeafzal said:

@edrebe said:

It was immediately I got it in less than 2 minutes. I am actually happy with the Windows VPS

• 1GB able to run windows????

• @cybertech said:
    1GB able to run windows????

Why not?

• @cybertech said:
    1GB able to run windows????

As I commented before, windows itselft is only using 0.5 GB RAM. I think it is a good deal.

• Just wait when it's gonna run auto-update :D

Thanked by 2op23 internetwarrior
  • Why are you running a windows on 1GB Ram ? Would you like to open the task manager to watch the ram usage chart ?

Thanked by 1dev077
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2023

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/183787/amd-ryzen-5950x-kvm-vps-large-disks-europe-webhorizon

Our NVME-KVM-2GB Netherland comes with 1 Ryzen 5950x core & 60GB NVMe
    Around $25/y using the coupon

• emgemg Veteran

I noticed the low specs, such as the 1 Gbyte RAM, but others already commented, so I did not post at the time. Like everyone, I wonder what you can do with Windows and only 1 Gbyte RAM.

I wonder whether @Sapcedor considered running their "experimentation and testing" on a common Linux VPS under Wine, or a related solution like that? Probably not, but it does not hurt to ask.

• @JabJab said:
    Just wait when it's gonna run auto-update :D

Yeah, this is going to suck big time. You really want additional disk space and memory.
    Maybe you don't notice yet because of fast swap or indeed no updates. There's a reason why Windows VPS cost more and it's just not license. The laptops that came with 32GB disk space are now considered criminal because you couldn't even update windows

• emgemg Veteran
    edited January 2023

@JabJab said:
    Just wait when it's gonna run auto-update :D

@internetwarrior said:
    Yeah, this is going to suck big time. You really want additional disk space and memory.
    Maybe you don't notice yet because of fast swap or indeed no updates. There's a reason why Windows VPS cost more and it's just not license. The laptops that came with 32GB disk space are now considered criminal because you couldn't even update windows

Well, it won't matter that much, because Windows 2012 will be end-of-life in ten months (10 October 2023). Microsoft will not release updates after that. (I am not that naive - you must find a way to patch Windows every month or your server will be at risk.)

Additional helpful questions could be: "Who provides the Windows license? If it is the provider, then is the Windows license active, or is it a 180-day trial license?"

• I'm surprised so much fuss over the 1GB RAM (will run like shit, but will run) whereas the 20GB disk is for sure a showstopper.

• Guys, we are talking about servers. There are plenty of servers running Linux with the same specifications, and everything can be useful for certain tasks. Actually, I have to say that for the task for which I am using this server, it is working properly.

• emgemg Veteran

Anyone can download a free 180 day trial of Windows Server directly from Microsoft. If you want to learn more about Windows Server or want to run experiments or tests, well, that is what trials are for.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/trial

There are license restrictions about where and how the trials may be used. Some providers may object if you install Windows on your "Linux" VPS - I dunno. I ran Windows Server under trial licenses on real hardware or in virtual machines.

My experience with Windows Server trials is that they have a hard expiration. They will be crippled unless you buy a very expensive license. If you plan to buy a license, make sure it is the right one. One customer bought a low-cost OEM license and it would not activate a general trial Windows Server installation. The only option was to buy an expensive license; the OEM license was a loss.

While searching for Microsoft's trial offer page, I found this intriguing link about extending trial periods. I know nothing about it:
    https://sid-500.com/2017/08/08/windows-server-2016-evaluation-how-to-extend-the-trial-period/