Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is/are your favorite provider(s)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is/are your favorite provider(s)?

Most of us have likely tried lots of providers over the years, so I am curious as to which one(s) you prefer.

I have been a Hetzner customer for personal stuff for several years now, and they take my top spot due to the excellent combination of quality of service, performance, support and price for basically all their services (I have used virtual and dedicated servers as well as storage shares, storage boxes and web hosting - which I actually use only for email). They have reasonably low prices yet their cloud platform is modern (albeit still basic compared to others) and the rest is also sound.

At the second place for me know there's GreenCloudVPS, which I only started using recently but I like a lot. I have three VPS with them now, all budget VPS in Frankfurt and they work great and were super cheap. So far I like what I see and if I need some higher specs servers I will definitely consider buying from them again. Hetzner remains more convenient for me for Kubernetes clusters, since they have official support (in terms of software) for Kubernetes and I even built a tool to create clusters there.

This is for personal and non critical stuff. For anything that is absolutely critical, my favorite is Google Cloud Platform, mostly because the main service I use is GKE (their managed Kubernetes) which is hands down the best among all the managed Kubernetes services available (well, they created the thing after all).

What about you? :)

Thanked by 1NDTN

Comments

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited January 2023

It's Hetzner all the way for me, excellent price and hardware with no compromises that bother me particularly.

I don't go for superduper budget hosts particularly much anymore. My other favourites are BuyVM and more recently Inception Hosting. I also make use of Scaleway's stardust instances for cheap ipv6 sandboxes and Oracle's free offering is great for testing Arm workflows and offloading non-production usage.

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • @Erisa said:
    It's Hetzner all the way for me, excellent price and hardware with no compromises that bother me particularly.

I don't go for superduper budget hosts particularly much anymore. My other favourites are BuyVM and more recently Inception Hosting. I also make use of Scaleway's stardust instances for cheap ipv6 sandboxes and Oracle's free offering is great for testing Arm workflows and offloading non-production usage.

Other than those instances, Scaleway has become ridiculously expensive for what they offer, IMO. They think they are Google or Amazon...

• @vitobotta said:

@Erisa said:

Other than those instances, Scaleway has become ridiculously expensive for what they offer, IMO. They think they are Google or Amazon...

Very true. 🥲 I don't use any Scaleway services aside from those Stardust instances and some files in object storage I haven't moved out yet.

The prices started out okay but then they increased them, then again... then again...

• Hetzner has been the one I've been using for years before that I used vultr which wasn't bad.

My top would be @MannDude because our visions on privacy are aligning a lot.
    @LiteServer for replying super fast without me being a customer (yet)

I am still super young so didn't try that many out yet. I will get a grown up salary soon, so my vps addiction will grow a lot I think.

• @kait said:
    Hetzner has been the one I've been using for years before that I used vultr which wasn't bad.

I am still super young so didn't try that many out yet. I will get a grown up salary soon, so my vps addiction will grow a lot I think.

Which provider is MannDude?

• @vitobotta said:

@kait said:
    Hetzner has been the one I've been using for years before that I used vultr which wasn't bad.

Which provider is MannDude?

https://incognet.io/ has some great offers for privacy focused people.

Thanked by 3MannDude vitobotta op23
  • BuyVM. They've got all the bells and whistles. Good pricing on VPS/Storage, no data limits outside of fair use, BGP Sessions, Anycast, 10Gbit, Ryzen, multiple locations. I swear I'm not a shill lol.
    For anything requiring more power/dedicated, Hetzner.
    I only wish both of them had more locations. If BuyVM had something in APAC and Hetzner had Dedi's in the US, I'd be set.

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • Isn't Hetzner little bit expensive if we are talking about lowend providers?

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

@MGarbis said:
    Isn't Hetzner little bit expensive if we are talking about lowend providers?

It has "lowend" prices for dedis, storage and a whole lot of other stuff. Really good value for money.

• @treesmokah said:

@MGarbis said:

It has "lowend" prices for dedis, storage and a whole lot of other stuff. Really good value for money.

I'm not going to argue about that. I just haven't seen good offers lately. Maybe looked from wrong place?

• @MGarbis said:

@treesmokah said:

@MGarbis said:

I'm not going to argue about that. I just haven't seen good offers lately. Maybe looked from wrong place?

Their standard prices are often better than most of the deals that pop up from other providers.

• @MGarbis said:

@treesmokah said:

@MGarbis said:

Recently got a i7-7700 dedicated server with 32gb ram, 512gb nvme and 2x4TB hdd for 39.70 euro/mo. If you can find me a better deal I would love to save some money 🙂

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited January 2023

HostHatch, George Datacenter, Limewave, SmartHost, MyW

My current favorite so far

Btw are we gonna missing top provider poll this year @FAT32 @DP ?

• LittleCreek is the most cost-effective of all the vps I am currently using.

• Copy pasting from another thread:

Virmach and HostHatch by far for VMs.

Pebblehost and Terrahost for dedis.

Virmach has one of the nicest US networks I've experienced, thanks to Internap's network. I used to pay quite a bit more to nfoservers for the same level of network performance, so I'm really happy with the move. Services have been stable, around 200 day uptime on most of my VMs (VM count: ~45).

Hosthatch is my favorite EU/APAC provider, I have a VM in all their locations (besides Japan) and performance is excellent. Lots of bandwidth, pretty nice network, and attachable storage "slabs" are nice. I run most of my personal infra out of their Amsterdam location, routing is excellent and global latency is pretty respectable (VM count: ~35)

Pebblehost gave me a pretty OK deal on a dedi in the UK, $30/month for an e5-2680v2 and 64g ram, plus a 500g SSD. The SSD is actually terrible, they swapped it 3 times (which was very nice of them) but they're just using a shitty model of SSD without DRAM caching. I asked if I could pay to upgrade to a usable SSD and was told no. Still a nice box, will definitely hold onto it.

UPDATE: this was a lie, just transferred it to another LET user. The SSD performance just wasn't good enough for my workloads, but the underlying hardware was a good deal for being in the UK.

Terrahost's dedi special was great, paid a year upfront and got a very nice system in Norway. I'm not sure if I would recommend them outside of Norway since they seem to be singlehomed to GTT in Amsterdam and Kansas (which sucks, they used to have a nice network in Kansas) and I try to go for a good network connection instead of a lot of cheap bulk bandwidth. GTT routing is pretty not spectacular so I try to avoid them when possible. Excellent support staff, had a hardware issue and was resolved in minutes. Would buy again, but only in Norway.

Hosts I don't really like all too much:

Basically any CC host, any of the purple ones, anyone using Path, and any sort of reseller. If a host doesn't have their own IP space, hardware, or network blend then I avoid them on principle (with the exception of HostingByDesign since they provide actual value and aren't just pointless leeches).

I have experience with basically every provider on the LE* market, some are great, some are terrible, but I try to keep myself loyal to only 2-3 providers to simplify things for myself.

Thanked by 2maverick terrahost
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited January 2023

GreenCloudVPS: top Top Provider period for production and storage. fast and furious support. consistently working VMs.

virmach: only for cheapest ryzen deals which are broken from time to time. many locations, fun YABS times. things are looking slightly better now but it would probably take another year to stabilize.
    ALMOST NO SUPPORT until things get better.

hostcram: for their highest firepower i9 beasts and superb NVMe iops. this might change with other providers adoption of 7950X.

hosthatch: great deals on storage plans. lowest priced on flash deals but performance varies. waiting to try their new location and see if any improvement.

serverfactory: got a best deal on their NAT storage with ZFS and working excellent ever since.

Thanked by 2NDTN Shakib
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

@fluffernutter said:
    Terrahost's dedi special was great, paid a year upfront and got a very nice system in Norway. I'm not sure if I would recommend them outside of Norway since they seem to be singlehomed to GTT in Amsterdam and Kansas (which sucks, they used to have a nice network in Kansas) and I try to go for a good network connection instead of a lot of cheap bulk bandwidth. GTT routing is pretty not spectacular so I try to avoid them when possible. Excellent support staff, had a hardware issue and was resolved in minutes. Would buy again, but only in Norway.

Just a quick note. I believe their Dutch network should be comfy as well, they have massive presence on the biggest IX'es in the world(which just happen to be in the Netherlands).
    I have looked in to their looking glass there and for my incoming isp's(mostly big bandwidth providers like Datapacket) it worked like a dream.

• DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

The five top providers of all time, DediRock, DediRock, Dedirock, Dedirock and Dedirock.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@MGarbis said:

The fuck what, yea they sold the i7 dedi's with 16/32GB for 19€ a while back, but that was before Covid, Inflation.... now they sell these with a better i7 CPU and 64GB for 31€.

I don't see how his can be called expensive.
    Its not longer in the 20€ range yea but price performance wise not expensive.

Thanked by 1op23
  • @vitobotta said: I have been a Hetzner customer for personal stuff for several years now, and they take my top spot due to the excellent combination of quality of service, performance, support and price for basically all their services (I have used virtual and dedicated servers as well as storage shares, storage boxes and web hosting - which I actually use only for email). They have reasonably low prices yet their cloud platform is modern (albeit still basic compared to others) and the rest is also sound.

Why not Netcup?

@Erisa said: My other favourites are BuyVM and more recently Inception Hosting.

BuyVM? and why?

• @treesmokah said:

Just a quick note. I believe their Dutch network should be comfy as well, they have massive presence on the biggest IX'es in the world(which just happen to be in the Netherlands).
    I have looked in to their looking glass there and for my incoming isp's(mostly big bandwidth providers like Datapacket) it worked like a dream.

It works fine if you stay within the EU. Anything leaving the EU will generally just go over GTT, which can be extremely mixed if you're going to APAC, or a decent chunk of the US. It works but I'd probably just stick with Norway (plus I think NO is cheaper overall). This is if you want one box for global presence, if you have systems elsewhere and this is just for EU presence, then NL is fine.

• Greencloud / @NDTN

Not perfect but great support and value

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • Ok, Hetzner dedis are cheap. That's confirmed to me now.

• The 3 top providers of all time,

1 Hetzner
    2 BuyVM
    3 Shock Hosting

Thanked by 1ShockHosting
  • my beloved trio HostHatch GreenCloud VirmAche.

This question should be on provider poll 2023 thread

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • @vitobotta said:
    I am curious as to which one(s) you prefer.

Oh, another "provider poll equivalent" :)

Okay, since I already have half of this answer written in another thread:

HawkHost - my oldest hosting account, I'm with them since 2009.

Although rarely mentioned here, their speed, stability, and uptime are outstanding. They are surely production-ready and suitable for business projects.

• BuyShared since 2015 - everyone here knows @Francisco
    Also unavailable for purchase for more than a year, hence little reason for further details.

• VirMach since 2017 - unlike some other members, I never had issues with my VPSes, despite one of them is in its third DC at the moment.

• Gullo / @Cam - one of the very few "true low-end" providers these days. A must have in my opinion :)
    Price/quality ratio is awesome for two NAT VPSes I have. They are as stable as much more expensive alternatives.

• GreencloudVPS and Servarica, their support are super.

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • Hosthatch, low price and very stable.