Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please Don't Sell Space in Your Homelab
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please Don't Sell Space in Your Homelab

Hanging out in subreddits like /r/homelab, /r/servers, and /r/datahoarder, I see this question asked too many times:

I have extra space in my home server, how can I sell this for other people to use? 

My answer (and a lot of other people’s answer): ...

https://grumpy.systems/2023/please-dont-sell-space-in-your-homelab/

Interesting article for those considering starting their own hosting and, surprisingly, some of the established providers here.

Thanked by 3ariq01 greentea SinV

Comments

• Good article, thanks for ruining my dreams

• TrKTrK Member

Completely agree on this, Home labs or home servers are intended for home usage.

Thanked by 4kait op23 greentea SinV
  • @inland said:
    surprisingly, some of the established providers here.

who?

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @ariq01 said:

@inland said:
    surprisingly, some of the established providers here.

who?

A few come to mind, C1V and Calin being some.

Thanked by 2ariq01 greentea
  • I have some stuff in my lab too and high speed fiber connection but would never sell those resources.

• llllll Member
    edited January 2023

Or you could sell your extra space using Storj or Sia.

Only downside, you won't be able to sell a lot of space at the beginning as you need to prove your server to be stable. And you will be paid in crypto coins.

• Wtf did I just read? The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

So what happens when your homelab gets dosed?

How do you think you ISP is going to like that?

How do you think you will like the lawsuit?

Before you say they won't ISPs usually have clauses in the contracts you sign, but never read, that state you can not do this type of thing for this reason.

So yeah they can and some definitely will sue you.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • What happens if one drive fails? Or all of them? Do you have backups you can restore quickly? What about fires or floods?

Don't ask OVH these questions...

• emgemg Veteran

After reading that article, I immediately shut down my homelab server business. I made it disappear without refunds, of course. Thank goodness you posted the link to that helpful article!

I'm going to replace it with a home VPN server business. It has a residential IP address, so it should be a hot seller. Brilliant, eh? ;-)

Thanked by 2AuroraZero kait
  • @emg said:
    After reading that article, I immediately shut down my homelab server business. I made it disappear without refunds, of course. Thank goodness you posted the link to that helpful article!

I'm going to replace it with a home VPN server business. It has a residential IP address, so it should be a hot seller. Brilliant, eh? ;-)

Is that the one I saw advertising that use for goatse "is highly encouraged"?

• TrKTrK Member

@emg said:

Prolly you will win the "Get your IP Banned" award! Good luck keep working hard!

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited January 2023

Fast to get raided I guess.