Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rsync.net
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rsync.net

treesmokahtreesmokah Member
edited January 2023 in General

anyone here used them?
ive heard they are reliable from multiple sources.
they are going above and beyond in giving you all of their system information which I highly appreciate.
looking for some comfy FS for backups, need high resiliency.

Comments

• I am using https://allsync.com/ for some backups.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Been using them for years.

Great service

Had a couple of issues where it’s been slow for a few days for server maintenance- no files lost yet and there is the free snapshot.

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Personally, I've not used them but if you have any questions, they're around.

Reach out to @rsync_dot_net.

Thanked by 2treesmokah chitree
  • @treesmokah said:
    anyone here used them?
    they are going above and beyond in giving you all of their system information which I highly appreciate.

Not really low-end pricing, which is probably why they don't receive more attention here on LET

But in the bigger world, they have a solid reputation

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@angstrom said:

@treesmokah said:
    anyone here used them?

Not really low-end pricing, which is probably why they don't receive more attention here on LET

Can you suggest me a low-end priced one?

• @FatGrizzly said:

@angstrom said:

@treesmokah said:
    anyone here used them?

I'm afraid that I don't know of a low-end equivalent of rsync.net

(Of course, there are many backup solutions available, often mentioned here on LET)

• @FatGrizzly said:

@angstrom said:

@treesmokah said:
    anyone here used them?

Hetzner Storage Box is a pretty good lowend equivalent. You're not going to have all the same luxuries as rsync.net but thats a given.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @angstrom said:

@treesmokah said:
    anyone here used them?

I personally don't care about price that much for this type of service. I expect the highest quality possible for critical backups.

• @angstrom said: Not really low-end pricing, which is probably why they don't receive more attention here on LET

Their plans start at $18/year.

• @itsnotv said:

@angstrom said: Not really low-end pricing, which is probably why they don't receive more attention here on LET

Their plans start at $18/year.

Where do you see that price?

rsync.net require the purchase of a minimal storage of 680 GB, which costs $10.20/month or $110.16/year (a yearly payment includes a 10% discount)

In contrast, Hetzner Storage Box costs €3.20/month for 1 TB

(In neither case does the quoted price include any applicable sales tax or VAT)

• @angstrom said: Where do you see that price?

https://www.rsync.net/products/borg.html

100 GB @ $16.20 per year, 10% annual discount

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @itsnotv said:

@angstrom said: Where do you see that price?

Okay, I see: they seem to make an effort to hide these borg products :)

In any case, if one wanted 1 TB of storage, the price would be $162/year (which includes a 10% discount), whereas Hetzner Storage Box would cost €38.40/year, which is a significant difference. (Again, ignoring any applicable sales tax or VAT)

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

@angstrom said:

@itsnotv said:

In any case, if one wanted 1 TB of storage, the price would be $162/year (which includes a 10% discount), whereas Hetzner Storage Box would cost €38.40/year, which is a significant difference. (Again, ignoring any applicable sales tax or VAT)

Do you have any personal experience with Hetz Storage Box and its resiliency?
    I believe filen.io uses Hetz Storage Boxes and they claim "We use erasure coding to achieve eleven nines (99.999999999%) of data durability."

• @treesmokah said:

@angstrom said:

@itsnotv said:

I believe filen.io uses Hetz Storage Boxes and they claim "We use erasure coding to achieve eleven nines (99.999999999%) of data durability."

I don't have any personal experience with their Storage Box product, but I suspect that resiliency isn't an issue

A practical issue that is more likely is latency and/or disk speed

(Hetzner Storage Box offers two locations, Germany and Finland, whereas rsync.net offers four locations worldwide)

• @angstrom said:

@treesmokah said:

@angstrom said:

@itsnotv said:

I don't have any personal experience with their Storage Box product, but I suspect that resiliency isn't an issue

A practical issue that is more likely is latency and/or disk speed

(Hetzner Storage Box offers two locations, Germany and Finland, whereas rsync.net offers four locations worldwide)

Finland loc seems good to me. All I really need is big dick data resiliency, that's the main goal. Speeds need to be "just" usable, no biggie.

• @treesmokah said:

@angstrom said:

@itsnotv said:

I have used Storage Box for quite a while both in Falkenstein and in Helsinki and it seemed rock solid. I even streamed Plex media out of a storage box

• Are you using heztner cloud vps to mount with cifs that storage box? or how are you mounting it? Can you share your vps specs? thanks :).

@vitobotta said:
    I have used Storage Box for quite a while both in Falkenstein and in Helsinki and it seemed rock solid. I even streamed Plex media out of a storage box

• @cpsd said:
    Are you using heztner cloud vps to mount with cifs that storage box? or how are you mounting it? Can you share your vps specs? thanks :).

@vitobotta said:

I am not using it now but yes, mounted on a vps with 4 cores and 8 gb and plex worked fine

• the prices are cheap!