Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SuperMicro KVM - Mouse Issue - Please help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SuperMicro KVM - Mouse Issue - Please help

I am connected to a SuperMicro KVM via the IPMIViewer.

Keyboard works great.
Mouse, I can see the pointer moving around, but, any clicks, the pointer goes to top-left corner of the IPMI KVM.

I am using a laptop with touch pad, running windows 10. I do not have any handy external mouse.

How can I fix this problem? Its driving me crazy.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• bdlbdl Member
    edited January 2023

Maybe try a linux boot CD with a live linux environment (or another computer altogether) to see if it's something related to your machine or the actual IPMI viewer implementation?

Else use tab and keyboard shortcuts to move around the environment :smiley:

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @bdl said:
    Maybe try a linux boot CD with a live linux environment (or another computer altogether) to see if it's something related to your machine or the actual IPMI viewer implementation?

Hmm, thats a nice idea. Will try that

Else use tab and keyboard shortcuts to move around the environment :smiley:

Yeh - thats what I tried, it was little inconvenient, but, still the mouse support will help. Thanks

Thanked by 1bdl
  • MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

Try changing the mouse compatibility in the options.

• @MrRadic said:

How/ where are the options?

@plumberg said:

@MrRadic said:

It should be in the settings.

• @MrRadic said:

@plumberg said:

@MrRadic said:

You referring to ipmi settings or windows settings?

I could not see any in ipmiviewer... thnx

@plumberg said:

@MrRadic said:

@plumberg said:

@MrRadic said:

It's in the IPMI settings in the web interface. I believe some versions have it in the java applet as well.

• @MrRadic said:

@plumberg said:

@MrRadic said:

@plumberg said:

@MrRadic said:

It's in the IPMI settings in the web interface. I believe some versions have it in the java applet as well.

Hmm. I have been told to use the ipmiviewer app. I don't have any web or applet available, yet. Any idea how to enable or access the web version? Thanks

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@plumberg said:

@MrRadic said:

@plumberg said:

@MrRadic said:

@plumberg said:

@MrRadic said:

Hmm. I have been told to use the ipmiviewer app. I don't have any web or applet available, yet. Any idea how to enable or access the web version? Thanks

do you have cli access to the server?

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

I use a window7 vm with a older version of Java depends on the age of the supermicro machine

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@plumberg said:

Should be able to just go to your IPMI IP via webgui, and then go to "Remote Control" tab and launch their built-in viewer from there?

Have varying generations of supermicro stuff live, but has been roughly the same for awhile. Will look similar to this:

See if their built-in viewer works well. If you're on linux, I've had really good luck/compatibility with icedtea for standalone jdk / non-html5 versions

• @SGraf said:

@plumberg said:

@MrRadic said:

@plumberg said:

@MrRadic said:

@plumberg said:

@MrRadic said:

do you have cli access to the server?

I have an os installed... AlmaLinux 9.1

• @crunchbits said:

@plumberg said:

Should be able to just go to your IPMI IP via webgui, and then go to "Remote Control" tab and launch their built-in viewer from there?

Have varying generations of supermicro stuff live, but has been roughly the same for awhile. Will look similar to this:

See if their built-in viewer works well. If you're on linux, I've had really good luck/compatibility with icedtea for standalone jdk / non-html5 versions

So as I said earlier I am told to directly use ipmiviewer... I don't have access to anything else

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

See if the webinterface is active by connecting on 443.
    If it is, try logging in.

If your user cannot, you could try adding a new user with admin permissions via ipmitool.
    Get a user list with

ipmitool user list

then take it from there. the --help switch is your friend.

if the web-interface is inactive, then you could use that to activate the webui/lan access/....

However as this involves some risk of configuration .... i'll let you figure out the exact commands yourself.

(Please note that some enviroments/... may prohibit you from messing with ipmi settings via their TOS/....)

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@plumberg said:

@crunchbits said:

@plumberg said:

So as I said earlier I am told to directly use ipmiviewer... I don't have access to anything else

Then I would say whoever is telling you that should be also helping you troubleshoot it so it works properly. If you can't access the IPMI IP yourself and it doesn't work using the Supermicro ipmiviewer software they want you using there isn't much you can do without other forms of access to verify/troubleshoot. Issue could still be settings/tied to your PC but getting much more difficult to isolate.

@SGraf good idea too. If you can access the webgui at all (despite what they say) you can always use ipmitool (or ipmicfg for supermicro) but there is a risk of breaking stuff if you aren't careful. Double-mentioning the TOS issue potential as well.

• @SGraf @crunchbits

Thanks for the inputs.

The provider acknowledged that for now ipmiviewer is what will work. I am going to try another setup from a different system and give it a shot.

It's a decently old system so maybe there is some compatibility issue.

I was able to install an os with just keyboard, but being a lazy ass, I prefer working with mouse on some days.

Not the end, but will post updates on the weekend how things progress

I'll check the cli part and see what can be done. It is something I am think I'd rather not do but still will try to get a feel and see how it goes.