Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 Month Review of Ploxhost. Tldr; Avoid like the the plague
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1 Month Review of Ploxhost. Tldr; Avoid like the the plague

This is my review of Plox host.

Initially ordered from them on Nov. 25/26, which was a black friday offer. Server cost $1.5 for the following specs:
1 vCPU
1Gb ram
20Gb disk
24TB @ 1gbps (bought this primarily for this)

Posted the below on their BF thread. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3562015/#Comment_3562015

@kennsann said:
First time buying from them. Currently have a bad experience with them, not a good start.

Just to recount the events and issues:
1. Got my order after 5 days since I ordered it on BF, and only after I opened a ticket.
2. They sent me the server, but with only 1TB bandwidth not the advertised 4TB bandwidth.
3. Added the complaint about the bandwidth on the ticket, stating that the base bandwidth was 4TB and pointed them to this thread where it was stated that there is a +500% bandwidth extra and they responded with "All our VPS have a soft limit to prevent abuse. Once you reach 1TB, you simply open a ticket & we raise this for you. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with today."
4. I replied with that is unacceptable and I want what I paid for and I dont want to open tickets every time I hit that 1TB soft limit. They did oblige to the request, but worth noting that I had to fight for it.
5. Reinstalled the OS and took forever! Probably over 3 hours to finish installation, I thought oh well. Tried to login, literally took 2mins to SSH into the server vs all my other servers that took <5 secs to login via SSH. Ran apt update, took 5mins. Ran apt upgrade, 1 hour in and its at 47%. LOL. Became apparent it was the disk that was extremely slow! Ran YABS, and that confirms the issue. YABS attached below.
6. Opened a ticket about the slow disk and probably it will not be answered till after the weekend, and that sucks. So while I wait for that, just wanted to write this initial review about them.

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
#                     v2022-11-22                    #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Sat 03 Dec 2022 01:34:38 AM CET

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Uptime     : 0 days, 12 hours, 31 minutes
Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz
CPU cores  : 1 @ 2893.026 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
RAM        : 981.2 MiB
Swap       : 1023.0 MiB
Disk       : 18.6 GiB
Distro     : Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Kernel     : 5.4.0-29-generic

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 109.00 KB/s     (27) | 1.05 MB/s       (16)
Write      | 119.00 KB/s     (29) | 1.16 MB/s       (18)
Total      | 228.00 KB/s     (56) | 2.22 MB/s       (34)
           |                      |                     
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
Read       | 6.26 MB/s       (12) | 6.33 MB/s        (6)
Write      | 7.07 MB/s       (13) | 6.94 MB/s        (6)
Total      | 13.34 MB/s      (25) | 13.27 MB/s      (12)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
-----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 869 Mbits/sec   | 522 Mbits/sec   | 70.4 ms        
Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 831 Mbits/sec   | 538 Mbits/sec   | 74.1 ms        
NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | busy            | 783 Mbits/sec   | 73.9 ms        
Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 783 Mbits/sec   | 298 Mbits/sec   | 165 ms         
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 932 Mbits/sec   | 932 Mbits/sec   | 1.13 ms        
Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 909 Mbits/sec   | 642 Mbits/sec   | 45.6 ms        
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 858 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 70.1 ms        

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
-----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 828 Mbits/sec   | 514 Mbits/sec   | 69.6 ms        
Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 818 Mbits/sec   | 544 Mbits/sec   | 72.1 ms        
NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 849 Mbits/sec   | 765 Mbits/sec   | 73.9 ms        
Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 780 Mbits/sec   | 460 Mbits/sec   | 163 ms         
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 922 Mbits/sec   | 919 Mbits/sec   | 0.926 ms       
Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 894 Mbits/sec   | 663 Mbits/sec   | 39.9 ms        
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 861 Mbits/sec   | 337 Mbits/sec   | 70.1 ms        

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
Test            | Value                         
                |                               
Single Core     | 522                           
Multi Core      | 525                           
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19043724

Edit: Wanted to highlight this was offered as an SSD VPS.

I've been replying to my ticket every other day to get a followup to the issue, and they reply days after my reply. It takes them so long just to reply to a simple question! Then they said they will move my server, which was a relief. But they just redeployed my server to seems to be the same host node which had the shitty slow disk. Then I replied to the same ticket again and even posted the yabs result and took them days again to get back to me. Then they offered to move my server again, I confirmed this a few minutes after I received the response and it took them days again to reply with "what OS do you want?" and I said just fucking deploy it and I can just reinstall what I want on the console. And it took them days again to just do it. When I received the last (3rd deployment), guess what... Its still on a shitty disk host node! WTF.

#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
#                     v2022-12-04                    #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Mon Dec 26 01:00:41 AM EST 2022

Basic System Information:
Uptime     : 4 days, 4 hours, 28 minutes
Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz
CPU cores  : 1 @ 2893.026 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
RAM        : 960.5 MiB
Swap       : 1023.0 MiB
Disk       : 18.7 GiB
Distro     : AlmaLinux 9.0 (Emerald Puma)
Kernel     : 5.14.0-70.22.1.el9_0.x86_64

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
Read       | 98.00 KB/s      (24) | 1.04 MB/s       (16)
Write      | 108.00 KB/s     (27) | 1.13 MB/s       (17)
Total      | 206.00 KB/s     (51) | 2.17 MB/s       (33)
           |                      |                     
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
Read       | 5.26 MB/s       (10) | 4.90 MB/s        (4)
Write      | 5.78 MB/s       (11) | 5.24 MB/s        (5)
Total      | 11.04 MB/s      (21) | 10.15 MB/s       (9)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 853 Mbits/sec   | 458 Mbits/sec   | 67.6 ms        
Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 856 Mbits/sec   | 475 Mbits/sec   | 74.3 ms        
NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 881 Mbits/sec   | 837 Mbits/sec   | 74.2 ms        
Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 736 Mbits/sec   | 341 Mbits/sec   | 160 ms         
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 941 Mbits/sec   | 937 Mbits/sec   | 0.899 ms       
Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 879 Mbits/sec   | 779 Mbits/sec   | 39.5 ms        
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 888 Mbits/sec   | 559 Mbits/sec   | 60.8 ms        

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 850 Mbits/sec   | 592 Mbits/sec   | 67.5 ms        
Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 873 Mbits/sec   | 574 Mbits/sec   | 71.9 ms        
NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 787 Mbits/sec   | 819 Mbits/sec   | 74.3 ms        
Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 718 Mbits/sec   | 378 Mbits/sec   | 160 ms         
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 924 Mbits/sec   | 927 Mbits/sec   | 2.19 ms        
Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 900 Mbits/sec   | 883 Mbits/sec   | 39.8 ms        
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 876 Mbits/sec   | 612 Mbits/sec   | 60.6 ms        

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
Test            | Value                         
                |                               
Single Core     | 495                           
Multi Core      | 488                           
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19515589

Now, a month after, I was already billed for the next month and never got a working server!

DO NOT BUY FROM PLOX HOST! I know its $1.5/m but, damn, this is the worst low end service Ive even been with.

Thanked by 1jugganuts

Comments

• Not helping, but those IO speeds are comically bad.

• That is terrible even if for HDD

• Floppy disk 💾 VPS!

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Another meme host

• Freeze on SSH root login every time..

• ploxhostploxhost Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

I am terribly sorry for the troubles.
    As stated in the ticket the node you were on is experiencing a hard drive failure on both of the SSDs.

We have been working to copy all data off the drives and onto the new array, however this is taking forever as seen on the yabs post. We have no current ETA, and we are still looking for a better way to solve the issue. This information has been relayed over an email sent to all customers on the node.

If you want us to restore a backup or place you on a new node. Please let us know, and we are more then happy to do this.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience. I ask that you please contact me via dms with the ticket number.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

Ah yes
    "
    Look I have 10000 MB/s disk write! It's faster than your 100 MB/s disk write."

At the end of the day it's just capacity. My AWS server has 30 MB/s disk write and is just as fast as any other VPS. Why? Because I only use 0.1-3 MB/s during any 24 hour window.

Capacity marketed as speed. What could go wrong?

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

@ezeth said:
    Ah yes
    "
    Look I have 10000 MB/s disk write! It's faster than your 100 MB/s disk write."

At the end of the day it's just capacity. My AWS server has 30 MB/s disk write and is just as fast as any other VPS. Why? Because I only use 0.1-3 MB/s during any 24 hour window.

Capacity marketed as speed. What could go wrong?

I mean yeah, sure, most customers probably wouldn't notice a difference between ~300 MB/s and 10000 MB/s raw disk speeds as most applications probably rely more on CPU/Memory/Random IO/Disk Latency (i.e. Minecraft Server, Website, etc).

However, 10 MB/s speeds are definitely noticeable in 95% of use cases. Even installing apt or unzipping a file will (probably) be slow, and those speeds are definitely not normal for a SSD or HDD VPS.

• @markd said:
    As stated in the ticket the node you were on is experiencing a hard drive failure on both of the SSDs.

We have been working to copy all data off the drives and onto the new array, however this is taking forever as seen on the yabs post. We have no current ETA, and we are still looking for a better way to solve the issue. This information has been relayed over an email sent to all customers on the node.

If you want us to restore a backup or place you on a new node. Please let us know, and we are more then happy to do this.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience. I ask that you please contact me via dms with the ticket number.

As you can see on the review, I asked already!!! My server was deployed 3 times but its all on shitty disks! And its already a month, im on your tickets for days. You can check yourself!

• @kennsann I have a openzv that costs me 2$ a year on a hdd which runs faster.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

@kennsann said:

@markd said:

As you can see on the review, I asked already!!! My server was deployed 3 times but its all on shitty disks! And its already a month, im on your tickets for days. You can check yourself!

If you're wanting a $12/yr ($1/mo) server, I have a sale happening.

Same network, different servers.

• It is true! They never solve the basic problems! May they don't know how to deal with it. My god! My USD1.5!!!

• This is the worst shopping experience I have had this year.

• Never buy Plox Host. They are fraudsters!

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@reala said:
    They are fraudsters!

No

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited December 2022

You paid $1.5 for this - do you really want to complain?
    People have too much expectations nowadays and I totally understand why some hosts don't even bother coming here. People will stir up a drama over $1.5 server performing poorly.

This is fucking insane.

Thanked by 2MikeA ShalaWorks
  • Brend4nBrend4n Member
    edited December 2022

We had similar issues with poor performance on Ploxhost some time ago and moved off for the very same reason. If you're looking for a cheap VPS with unmetered BW, I'd recommend DediPath. Their support is solid despite the very low cost.
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/183394/dedipath-holiday-sale-dedicated-servers-from-39-mo-kvm-ssd-vps-from-15-year

Thanked by 1Ernie
  • @treesmokah said: People will stir up a drama over $1.5 server performing poorly. This is fucking insane.

No, what's insane is selling something for $1.5 if you can't deliver it for $1.5.

Selling something for too cheap and using "I sold it for too cheap!" as an argument is just weird.

• H&M wouldn't argue that the price of my t-shirt was cheap if there's a hole in it.

• hibenjihibenji Member
    edited December 2022

I have a Ploxhost server, had it for about a year (since 2021 black friday deal).
    I run my pterodactyl panel on it, and sometimes its very very slow to load and crashes, ive never thought anything about it, but i did a yabs test on it now and got the same bad performance.

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## # # Yet-Another-Bench-Script # # v2022-12-04 # # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script # # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## # Tue 27 Dec 2022 01:18:52 AM CET Basic System Information: --------------------------------- Uptime : 64 days, 2 hours, 14 minutes Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz CPU cores : 1 @ 2893.026 MHz AES-NI : ✔ Enabled VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled RAM : 981.2 MiB Swap : 1023.0 MiB Disk : 18.6 GiB Distro : Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS Kernel : 5.4.0-91-generic Generating fio test file... fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50): --------------------------------- Block Size | 4k (IOPS) | 64k (IOPS) ------ | --- ---- | ---- ---- Read | 86.00 KB/s (21) | 1.03 MB/s (16) Write | 98.00 KB/s (24) | 1.11 MB/s (17) Total | 184.00 KB/s (45) | 2.14 MB/s (33) | | Block Size | 512k (IOPS) | 1m (IOPS) ------ | --- ---- | ---- ---- Read | 6.45 MB/s (12) | 6.59 MB/s (6) Write | 7.22 MB/s (14) | 6.96 MB/s (6) Total | 13.68 MB/s (26) | 13.56 MB/s (12) iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4): --------------------------------- Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed | Ping ----- | ----- | ---- | ---- | ---- Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 855 Mbits/sec | 517 Mbits/sec | 67.5 ms Scaleway | Paris, FR (10G) | busy | 665 Mbits/sec | 77.2 ms NovoServe | North Holland, NL (40G) | 871 Mbits/sec | 822 Mbits/sec | 74.1 ms Uztelecom | Tashkent, UZ (10G) | 730 Mbits/sec | 320 Mbits/sec | 159 ms Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 940 Mbits/sec | 939 Mbits/sec | 0.880 ms Clouvider | Dallas, TX, US (10G) | 907 Mbits/sec | 642 Mbits/sec | 39.6 ms Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 866 Mbits/sec | 696 Mbits/sec | 60.9 ms iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6): --------------------------------- Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed | Ping ----- | ----- | ---- | ---- | ---- Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 854 Mbits/sec | 636 Mbits/sec | 67.4 ms Scaleway | Paris, FR (10G) | 820 Mbits/sec | 519 Mbits/sec | 72.0 ms NovoServe | North Holland, NL (40G) | 864 Mbits/sec | 789 Mbits/sec | 74.0 ms Uztelecom | Tashkent, UZ (10G) | 772 Mbits/sec | 259 Mbits/sec | 159 ms Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 924 Mbits/sec | 925 Mbits/sec | 1.13 ms Clouvider | Dallas, TX, US (10G) | 900 Mbits/sec | 716 Mbits/sec | 39.7 ms Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 866 Mbits/sec | 773 Mbits/sec | 60.9 ms Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test: --------------------------------- Test | Value | Single Core | 446 Multi Core | 479 Full Test | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19530589 YABS completed in 19 min 26 sec

I couldnt be bothered for the Geekbench results to get in tbh.

• When i bought it also took about 4-6 days for them to activate the server, so yeah, i don't recommend using them. There are plenty or better providers, better price and performance.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2022

I mean those benchmarks are hilarious. They're trying to migrate a system with failing drives but they just keep provisioning you on it hoping you won't notice. Then another user here has the same benchmarks. They obviously only have one server.

I don't care what you paid for it, either you're lying or this thread is way more than justified. My money is on the latter.

Providers, if you take an order you have to provide working service. What you charge for it is your problem. If this qualifies as working, a steak pulled from the dumpster in the back is sufficient to call dinner. Trying to make it right is fine, lying about trying to make it right is "you need a foot in your ass" territory. There's no way you have two failing SSDs making it run like a Packard Bell from 1994 and you haven't locked provisioning on the server unless it's the only one you have and you can't afford to stop taking orders.

@jar said:
    I mean those benchmarks are hilarious. They're trying to migrate a system with failing drives but they just keep provisioning you on it hoping you won't notice. Then another user here has the same benchmarks. They obviously only have one server.

I don't care what you paid for it, either you're lying or this thread is way more than justified. My money is on the latter.

Providers, if you take an order you have to provide working service. What you charge for it is your problem. If this qualifies as working, a steak pulled from the dumpster in the back is sufficient to call dinner. Trying to make it right is fine, lying about trying to make it right is "you need a foot in your ass" territory. There's no way you have two failing SSDs making it run like a Packard Bell from 1994 and you haven't locked provisioning on the server unless it's the only one you have and you can't afford to stop taking orders.

Just so you are aware. We deployed multiple nodes during Black Friday after we had backed up orders. The node the user is complaining about, which contains a lot of our Black Friday promo servers, is having the SSD failure.

As mentioned. We are more than happy to move the customer, but issue comes with data migration, causing massive downtime on the customers end.

@hibenji, please send me a PM. I will get this sorted for you.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

• @markd said:

@jar said:

Just so you are aware. We deployed multiple nodes during Black Friday after we had backed up orders. The node the user is complaining about, which contains a lot of our Black Friday promo servers, is having the SSD failure.

As mentioned. We are more than happy to move the customer, but issue comes with data migration, causing massive downtime on the customers end.

AGAIN! I was moved twice!!! You moved me to the same server? WTF? How stupid was that?

Thanked by 1fluffernutter

@kennsann said:

@markd said:

@jar said:

AGAIN! I was moved twice!!! You moved me to the same server? WTF? How stupid was that?

I am sorry. I am not familiar / have not seen your ticket, so I can not comment on what actions were taken.

Please private message me as I said in an earlier message. I can look more into it for you.

Thank you.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@markd said:

@jar said:

The user's story that they've allegedly been moved twice is convincing, more so with another user posting similar benchmarks (neither being a new registration here).

• @markd said:

@kennsann said:

@markd said:

@jar said:

I am sorry. I am not familiar / have not seen your ticket, so I can not comment on what actions were taken.

Please private message me as I said in an earlier message. I can look more into it for you.

Thank you.

Then your service is really bad. No one knows shit. Your staff knows nothing. Ive been on tickets for a month trying to get this to work.

There were times the status of the ticket was "waiting for system administrator" for literally a week! So your Sysadmins are just part time I guess? You dont have enough to serve your users!

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • @markd said:

@jar said:

Based on the complaint, there was nothing to migrate since the server was never usable to begin with. He just needed to be deployed on working node.

Thanked by 1jar
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2022

Edit: I need to be nice!

• I am on day #4 of waiting for 2 vps'... I put in a ticket a few hours after payment for not being provisioned, and the end user panel is not accessible either. I understand you get what you pay for, but in this case of getting nothing for something isn't acceptable.