Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Ashburn provider recommendations?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Ashburn provider recommendations?

xespoxespo Member
edited December 2022 in Providers

Looking to set up at least one KVM or dedi in ashburn (not vint hill, manassas etc). This is a separate, more specific thing I'm doing than the other thread.

Misaka seems good, but their ToS implies service termination if I got DDoSd (I understand suspension but termination?)
Leaseweb and Racknerd also look good, but both do a bit too much KYC for me, and the latter is expensive
Cycloneservers' negative reviews spooked me
Bloom's ToS seems too restrictive

many of the ones I mentioned earlier are otherwise fine and might end up choosing one, but are there any other good Ashburn ones? thx :)

Comments

• Hetzner Cloud's Ashburn region has been solid for me for more than a year, though I can't guarantee it won't run afoul of the problems you have with the others, just another for consideration

• Oracle Cloud have an Ashburn location, where the free tier is available. Might not fit your needs but might be worth trying given that it's hard to beat free.

Thanked by 2Erisa xespo
  • xespoxespo Member
    edited December 2022

@Erisa said:
    Hetzner Cloud's Ashburn region has been solid for me for more than a year, though I can't guarantee it won't run afoul of the problems you have with the others, just another for consideration

Only issue with Hetzner is Germany has taken to jailing (German citizens) who engage in some things as innocuous as sexism that is protected everywhere else.

I'm not a fan of sexism, but my websites are large and can't guarantee they won't have sexism or other offensive but legal content. One of my server owner friends has had a lot of issues with the German government and ended up just moving his server out of Germany after 10+ years, because the censorship there got too much. And his sites aren't targeted anywhere else, like they're pretty tame.

otherwise Hetzner seems great.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2022

Ashburn you said? Look no further @qps is the one. QuickPacket.

Thanked by 1xespo
  • tier.net

• xespoxespo Member
    edited December 2022

@Hxxx said:
    Ashburn you said? Look no further @qps is the one. QuickPacket.

QP and tier.net look good. QP's only powerful CPU option on a dedi is $200 a month for a E3-1230v3 server, which one can assemble for less than $500.

Tier has something like that for half the price, but not in ashburn unfortunately

Colocation with QP, Tier, or Equinix directly may be the only sensible thing for me to do.

Think my dad even rents a room in Equinix or some Ashburn data center directly, just don't wanna share his exact rack as I hate mixing family with business. Might ask him for recommendations though.

• xespoxespo Member
    edited December 2022

Tier's ToS is mostly sensible, maybe a bit too cautious. Eg it outlaws IRC bots. I make IRC bots for fun, but not for malicious purposes, and they are allowed by the networks i use them in.

I'm just nitpicky because whatever I end up choosing I'll likely be using it as my main server

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2022

@xespo ask Jeff for a quote @qps . They might be able to work an offer for you. Been there. Open ticket with sales at quickpacket, his last visit was Dec17 to this forum.

Thanked by 1xespo
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@xespo Happy to come up with a custom quote for you. We have other configs available that aren't on our site.

Thanked by 2Hxxx xespo
  • @xespo said:
    Tier's ToS is mostly sensible, maybe a bit too cautious. Eg it outlaws IRC bots. I make IRC bots for fun, but not for malicious purposes, and they are allowed by the networks i use them in.

I'm just nitpicky because whatever I end up choosing I'll likely be using it as my main server

A lot of places just ban IRC because IRC stuff tends to be DDoS magnets. I'm sure if you talk to them you can figure something out.

Thanked by 1xespo
  • xespoxespo Member
    edited May 2023

for the record Misaka.io was terrible, as they asked me to remove alleged content from one of my websites my websites. Except it was content which didn't even exist on any of my websites or servers, or anything connected to me

They didn't even give me a chance to dispute the false DMCA report or to ignore it. Also, the CPU speed was bad, and don't see any point to the service with the available competitors.

• xespoxespo Member
    edited May 2023

For an East Coast provide I think Heavynode might actually be decent, however it is not Asbhurn. Connectivity and speed on Heavynode was swell though. Didn't spend much time investigating Heavnode further though. Couldn't find anything decent in Ashburn, everything either horribly overpriced or overmoderated. Was having issues finding something as good as SpartanHost on the East Coast. Am now done hosting websites.

• Read in other post @speedypage has Ashburn location Ryzen 7950.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

We have a Ashburn/Herndon location as well.
    http://va1.smarthost.net

~ SMARTHOST

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2023

We indeed have Ashburn on 7950X.

https://my.speedypage.com/store/performance-plus-ashburn - LET10OFF for 10% off recurring. 5950X is also available at more affordable pricing.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@qps is a good dude. Hit him up!

Thanked by 2qps jar
  • avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

Misaka seems good, but their ToS implies service termination if I got DDoSd (I understand suspension but termination?)

No, I don't think we have such a policy. Getting DDoS won't get your services terminated.

@xespo said:
    for the record Misaka.io was terrible, as they asked me to remove alleged content from one of my websites my websites. Except it was content which didn't even exist on any of my websites or servers, or anything connected to me

They didn't even give me a chance to dispute the false DMCA report or to ignore it. Also, the CPU speed was bad, and don't see any point to the service with the available competitors.

Do you mind providing the ticket number for further investigation?

And yes, we can confirm our CPU speed in Ashburn wasn't good and competitive. We're (finally) rolling out a hardware upgrade globally, but due to shipment issues it could be very slow. You can definitely try other providers as there are more and more providers adding Ashburn locations now.

• amaalexamaalex Member
    edited May 2023

@speedypage said:
    We indeed have Ashburn on 7950X.

https://my.speedypage.com/store/performance-plus-ashburn - LET10OFF for 10% off recurring. 5950X is also available at more affordable pricing.

For existing customers the pricing shown is higher than whats showing up on this link posted above
    @speedypage .

Can you check and fix please ..

Edit: Ignore above please @speedypage . My bad.

• try rackdog at https://rackdog.com/ i m using them from last 6 months and verystable

• SpeedyPage has Ashburn VPS, using either 5950X or 7950X.

This is 5950X plans, the 7950X slightly more expensive than this