Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community recommendation solicited - like ServaRICA Tiger
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Community recommendation solicited - like ServaRICA Tiger

Hey, awesome community! I'm shopping for a VPS to use in a master/master failover setup with a ServaRICA Tiger instance. I'm wildly happy with ServaRICA's service, but I want to use a different provider (ideally in a different city) in order to maximize the number of bases covered in the failover setup.

I'm hoping the community can offer recommendations for providers with a) reliable service, b) good network, c) similar specs, d) similar price. Obviously I can shop around for c & d myself, and to a degree even b, but I know of no way other than asking for community consensus to come up with an answer to goal a.

Specs that are particularly of interest to me are:
10G RAM (8 would probably do)
150GB nvme storage (good SSD would likely be OK here too)
4T @ 1Gbps
Decent CPU, but what I need isn't a CPU hog.
Great connectivity to Ontario, Canada.

I'd be grateful for any experience that anyone would like to share.

Comments

• Are you looking for great connectivity to Ontario, or to Servarica?

For Ontario in general, I'd suggest finding something out of one of the east coast Equinix DCs. For Servarica (Montreal, note, with Cogent and Beanfield as the apparent primary mix), any decent midwest or east coast US data centers should perform pretty well.

I can link a post I made yesterday with a bunch of Servarica connectivity results to show that they're really decently connected for being overlooked so often.

Thanked by 1loyaltyforge
  • Connectivity to Ontario is the goal. As this will sync with a Servarica server via glusterfs and galera, obviously great connectivity to them would be ideal too, but I feel like that'll be a natural consequence of good connectivity to Ontario.

I agree, they're super awesome, and especially so for their prices. The only reason I'm looking elsewhere for this server is I want it to be a backup for a server I have with them.

And yeah, lots of options are in NYC or Buffalo which I'm sure will connect great. Some feedback on experiences with the options out there is what I'm hoping to gather.

Thanks!

• @loyaltyforge said:
    Connectivity to Ontario is the goal. As this will sync with a Servarica server via glusterfs and galera, obviously great connectivity to them would be ideal too, but I feel like that'll be a natural consequence of good connectivity to Ontario.

I agree, they're super awesome, and especially so for their prices. The only reason I'm looking elsewhere for this server is I want it to be a backup for a server I have with them.

And yeah, lots of options are in NYC or Buffalo which I'm sure will connect great. Some feedback on experiences with the options out there is what I'm hoping to gather.

Thanks!

So, in that case, I'd like to posit that SmartHost is worth a look. Shawn was a pleasure to work with and I get a ping of about 15ms from Servarica to the VPS I picked up from them on BF in their "Virginia - USA" facility. (It's for a project that falls into my range of "if you need to ask about AUP, it's best to just not" categories, for Servarica. The project is explicitly the type of thing that is allowed by SmartHost, so they were a natural looksee for me. And no, I will not divulge details in public, but nothing illegal or immoral. :) )

They are the first Psychz-based provider where I've been truly impressed by the network performance. I cannot deny that the facility is well-placed and well-peered.

Here are speed tests for the general areas that people often mean when they say an unqualified "Ontario" :sunglasses: :

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Bell Mobility - Toronto, ON (id: 16753)
             ISP: Psychz Networks
    Idle Latency:    32.70 ms   (jitter: 0.27ms, low: 32.59ms, high: 33.30ms)
        Download:  3767.66 Mbps (data used: 5.9 GB)
                     41.68 ms   (jitter: 12.45ms, low: 32.34ms, high: 361.75ms)
          Upload:   874.19 Mbps (data used: 1.5 GB)
                     31.07 ms   (jitter: 3.51ms, low: 30.73ms, high: 302.64ms)
     Packet Loss:     0.0%
      Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/84fc1b0b-4b24-4e2d-813e-e2c9fdd79e6e

Speedtest Toronto

Server: Bell Canada - Kanata, ON (id: 17396)
    Idle Latency:    21.72 ms   (jitter: 0.15ms, low: 21.60ms, high: 21.89ms)
        Download:  3678.87 Mbps (data used: 2.6 GB)
                     36.89 ms   (jitter: 14.48ms, low: 21.01ms, high: 304.46ms)
          Upload:   615.10 Mbps (data used: 678.6 MB)
                     19.60 ms   (jitter: 1.23ms, low: 18.85ms, high: 28.58ms)
      Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/30a765e3-fa3b-4745-ad9a-23a5cb34dc57

Speedtest Kanata/Ottawa

Server: Tbaytel - Thunder Bay, ON (id: 10300)
    Idle Latency:    67.60 ms   (jitter: 0.73ms, low: 67.39ms, high: 68.75ms)
        Download:  3321.18 Mbps (data used: 4.9 GB)
                     36.18 ms   (jitter: 8.32ms, low: 31.33ms, high: 307.74ms)
          Upload:   499.86 Mbps (data used: 690.5 MB)
                    102.25 ms   (jitter: 26.04ms, low: 67.94ms, high: 138.84ms)
      Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/d873a64a-2a76-467c-b38f-24b35dcdbc31

Speedtest Thunder Bay

Server: MNSi Telecom - Windsor, ON (id: 20916)
    Idle Latency:    24.61 ms   (jitter: 0.23ms, low: 24.45ms, high: 24.84ms)
        Download:  3335.42 Mbps (data used: 4.4 GB)
                     35.11 ms   (jitter: 11.23ms, low: 24.50ms, high: 429.71ms)
          Upload:   448.36 Mbps (data used: 774.1 MB)
                     25.26 ms   (jitter: 1.65ms, low: 24.52ms, high: 41.33ms)
      Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/ebb9a5f9-dffa-4ad3-9b60-043a2c020610

Speedtest Windsor

I, of course, can't say if any of their current offers matches what you specifically want and need. But I can now say that if you like working with Hani and team, SmartHost should be a similar experience.

Feel free to DM me for any specifics, though I can say that their Virginia test IP was perhaps a bit pessimistic for network quality.

Thanked by 2Halo11 loyaltyforge
  • Well, I guess that means we're in qualified Ontario up here in Sault Ste. Marie. :smiley: TBay and TO are really good data points as I find Shaw around here often has better connections west and everyone else tends to have better connections east.

It looks like SmartHost's Indiana location has really good latency to all the networks I care about and have the ability to test. They don't seem to post the carriers for that one on their Data Centers page, but everything they do post looks confidence-inspiring. I think I'll give them a go.

Thanks for the recommendation!