Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so.. "tucows/enom" now a brand
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

so.. "tucows/enom" now a brand

Been moving things around trying to chisel down some (non refundable) deposit money there and noticed the change today to the website.

Wonder if they'll do any more than change the logo and raise prices.

Thanked by 1mikei

Comments

• That's one of the worst brand name I've ever heard lol
    Cannot understand why are they changing 'em

Thanked by 2greentea mikei
  • kdhkdh Member
    edited December 2022

[Redacted] Comment duped for some reason

• I guess soon they'll get to Ascio and Hover and make them tucows/ascio and tucows/hover -- made the names lowercase in preparation I guess.

• Remember when TUCOWS was where you'd go to get the latest Pointcast Network and WSIRC and Internet Explorer? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

• Horrible name

Thanked by 1mikei
  • I don't watch family guy but do remember the original commercials. Only thing I can do since I gave up TV cable and otherwise since... uh, maybe 2008 round-about.

• @Smokey said:
    I don't watch family guy but do remember the original commercials. Only thing I can do since I gave up TV cable and otherwise since... uh, maybe 2008 round-about.

I was name-dropping a few software products that were frequently downloaded from The Ultimate Collection Of Winsock Software (TUCOWS) back in the 90s. Back around the time that the commercial aired that Family Guy referenced at some point (I'm more into American Dad where it's assumed you're smart enough to get the joke without it being pounded into your head a few times).

Thanked by 1bdl
  • You have a good memory!

I've been telecomputinating since the dawn of the PC industry but about the only thing I remember now about the early public internet is my first dial-up isp. (non of the big pre-internet services)

Thanked by 1lewellyn
  • @Smokey said:
    You have a good memory!

I've been telecomputinating since the dawn of the PC industry but about the only thing I remember now about the early public internet is my first dial-up isp. (non of the big pre-internet services)

My first SLIP connection was via a local BBS's doors, set up as an autodownloader in Telemate Pro. It was always a race to get the SLIP connection established and get MINUET online before I got disconnected for inactivity, at 2400 baud! XD (Kids, if that doesn't make sense, the pain involved in that would make your eyes glaze over and you'd go back to your always-on mobile connection!)

Before that, I had shells at like my local unis, libraries, etc. My most-used shell was on a System III system. (You know how sometimes you see things about "SysV" in Linux? That's System 5, I'm talking about System 3.)

I wish I knew what I know today, so I could properly appreciate just how well-run those systems were.

Now get off my lawn, I got moonshine to drink.

Thanked by 1Smokey
  • anyone remember the x2 vs kflex war?

• SmokeySmokey Member
    edited December 2022

I have trouble remembering what I had for my last meal, but from 110 baud on was like the rest of the industry... lots of progress and inventions.

I had about every type of modem that came out I think. Somewhat stabilized with my BBS and Fidonet activity at various plateaus of USR and Hayes along the way.

Near the end of all that I was never close enough to a telco for anything better, skipped xDSL completely, almost. Best that could be had in the mountains, while othewise I was lucy enough to live is one of the two first places cablemodems rolled out.

Rest is a blur for the most part. :/ ..payback for my illspent youth. B)

• @kdh said:
    That's one of the worst brand name I've ever heard lol
    Cannot understand why are they changing 'em

@emgh said:
    Horrible name

You will NOT replace "T" with "H" in the brand's name.
    You will NOT google it!
    You will NOT turn the SafeSearch off!!!

• @inland said:

You will NOT replace "T" with "H" in the brand's name.
    You will NOT google it!
    You will NOT turn the SafeSearch off!!!

Words can not express how much I despise you for this.

• @lewellyn said:
    Remember when TUCOWS was where you'd go to get the latest Pointcast Network and WSIRC and Internet Explorer? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Never would've figured some shareware site would end up selling cellular and then fiber internet service, but here we are.

Thanked by 1lewellyn