Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I live outside of China. How do I access the Chinese internet?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I live outside of China. How do I access the Chinese internet?

I live outside of China and am trying to connect into China. I have tried multiple popular VPN services with Mainland China server locations but they do not seem to be real Mainland China servers, since I am unable to access China-only services and I can still use Google and western sites on it.

Would anyone here know of a currently working solution for someone not in China to access the Chinese internet?

Comments

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited December 2022

China don't want people see outside world.
    Also they don't want outside people see their inside.
    It's strict, absolutely illegal to build VPN service in China, whatever the direction.

• What you want to access to? China seems likely don't block outside traffic to China, most time they only don't allow people inside to browser outside content. So you should be able to access most websites, but if it's violate the copyright, then they won't provide the service to you, or some website will block traffic outside of China to avoid ddos attack these sorts of things.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Look for 回国代理 in Google Play store.

• Buy a windows server located in china, and use RDP to connect.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

You can get a VPS from Alibaba Cloud in Mainland China and connect to it, but it requires government ID. From what I recall, you don't need to be a Chinese citizen to get it, but you will need to show passport/drivers license photos.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • What service do you want to access? Most services require registration using local ID, in addition to IP restriction.

• maybe u want to usr iqiyi or youku?

• If you don't need static IP address or stable access you may consider just grab some public http proxy, for example from here: https://github.com/fate0/proxylist/blob/master/proxy.list . Just find the lines with "country": "CN".
    Note that you need to test for working ones yourself from time to time.

• What a Fortress Besieged

• ServerServer Member
    edited December 2022

Many times it's a hit and miss thing as their filtering varies across different cities and different Telcos (based on my experience few years ago).

I have yet to find a good solution / server provider which provides close proximity (low ping) and reasonable transfer speed to China so I can access my files whenever I'm there.

The cloud providers there is too slow outside China or too expensive if it works.

• Alibaba cloud is the bet option if you don't speak Mandarin.

• if you are in Japan, invite Jack Ma for coffee and discussion

• @TanXS said:
    What you want to access to? China seems likely don't block outside traffic to China.

They do block, GFW (China national firewall) is double-sided.
    Prevent foreign content entering China is a much more important work than prevent Chinese people see outside world.

• @Advin said:
    You can get a VPS from Alibaba Cloud in Mainland China and connect to it, but it requires government ID. From what I recall, you don't need to be a Chinese citizen to get it, but you will need to show passport/drivers license photos.

Yeah, aliyun is very helpful.
    If you wish to run a private vps without webserver, you don't have to reg yourself with government

• visit a chinese hotel, get the wifi password, then stick a raspberry pi zero to the roof with a small UPS and solar panel running wireguard. test it, then leave the country and never return.

Thanked by 1yoursunny