Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm building a free tool to help you migrate existing mailboxes to MXRoute.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm building a free tool to help you migrate existing mailboxes to MXRoute.

ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider
edited December 2022 in Offers

Hi LowEndTalk community,

Like many, I jump on mailbox promotions whenever I see a good one. I was on CloudCone's email services for two years, then switched to Migadu, and now I'm moving some of them to MXRoute, mostly due to more generous sending limit.

While buying promotions are fun and all, the process of migrating is at times messy and time consuming. That's why I started to build a tool to assist it and I would like you to give it a try.
You can access it here: https://app.mailgrate.com/.

Migrations are idempotent and incremental, running it multiple times would not result in duplicated messages.

Security note:

Your email content will go through our servers, but we don't attempt to parse or read the content. And we don't store it.

Mailbox credentials are stored in our database. "Archiving" a migration would delete them. "Deleting" a draft migration configuration would also delete stored credentials. Super duper open to suggestions on how to manage this better.

Limits and todos:

• IMAP only
  • Bulk migration still in the works
  • Gmail has daily write and read limits on IMAP, not sure how to work around it. Maybe do it across multiple days, but currently if your Gmail mailbox is big, it would not finish the migration.
  • Haven't tested with many different providers.

I'd LOVE to hear what you think in thread or via DMs. Any suggestions, advice, complaints, tickets, "work order", anything!

Comments

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Just took a quick look. Bookmarked!

Also saw the 'backup' page, will such thing be happening anytime soon? Interested in some sort of email backup generator.

Thanked by 1ericls
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited December 2022

So, better than good old lamiral which is free?

Thanked by 2ericls darkimmortal
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Thanks @armandorg . To be honest, the main thing for backup right now is still security, still in the process of evaluating a few solutions, and open to new suggestions. Especially encrypted incremental data writes, right now we are seeing duplicati doing that and that's a interesting solution. But doing that would mean no easy way for user to see backed up data, and trickier to recover.

Maybe will offer different ways of backup for different use cases, but not sure yet...

@LTniger said:
    So, better than good old lamiral which is free?

@eris said:
    https://imapsync.lamiral.info

What do you need more?

Right, https://github.com/imapsync/imapsync totally deserves a shout out! Before building this tool, I actually use it with a script to do bulk migrations.

• @eris said:

What do you need more?

Classic, battle tested with 800GB+ mailboxes with humongous attachments. Migrated countless gmail filth. Works. Reliable.

Thanked by 1ericls

@LTniger said:

@eris said:

What do you need more?

Classic, battle tested with 800GB+ mailboxes with humongous attachments. Migrated countless gmail filth. Works. Reliable.

I wonder how it works around gmail's IMAP read/write daily quota limit..

• @ericls said:

@LTniger said:

@eris said:

What do you need more?

Perl magic. On a serious note: he opens single connection and pumps data via it. Kinda like a tunnel. I suggest to look at lamirals source code architecture to get a grasp.

Thanked by 1ericls

@LTniger said:

@ericls said:

@LTniger said:

@eris said:

What do you need more?

Perl magic. On a serious note: he opens single connection and pumps data via it. Kinda like a tunnel. I suggest to look at lamirals source code architecture to get a grasp.

Thank you sir. Gonna definitely give it a read!

• Without IMAP, can I migrate? If not, can you please suggest how to migrate from Zoho to Mxroute without IMAP?

Thanked by 1JamesRoi
  • @kidrock said:
    Without IMAP, can I migrate? If not, can you please suggest how to migrate from Zoho to Mxroute without IMAP?

Why do you ask a question again and again when you have gotten answers? Have you actually tried it?

@ amj said:

@kidrock said:
    As I am using free zoho mail which does not provide IMAP/POP3, I think I will not be able to use the migration tool. Found this method
    https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/adminconsole/email-backup.html
    Will this work for exporting from zoho and importing in to mxroute?

For personal use level, you can get .eml by exporting in Zoho, so to configure your mailer to use MXroute with IMAP and to import the .eml into the mailer, I guess.

@kidrock said:
    I am using free Zoho which does not support IMAP. Zoho allows exporting email folder zipped as .eml files. Can I import those .eml files in Mxroute?

For example, you can extract eml files from a zip file downloaded from Zoho, drag and drop it into Thunderbird, and they should be imported.

• Uh-oh.

• I usually use the OVH mail migrator. It has the feature to import from Microsoft Office mail as well as common IMAP
    https://omm.ovh.net/Migration/Create

@JeDaYoshi said:

Uh-oh.

Oops sorry I mis-configured the load balancer. rookie mistakes, apologize!

• @tototo said:

@kidrock said:
    Without IMAP, can I migrate? If not, can you please suggest how to migrate from Zoho to Mxroute without IMAP?

Why do you ask a question again and again when you have gotten answers? Have you actually tried it?

I haven't got any answers for my query earlier.

For example, you can extract eml files from a zip file downloaded from Zoho, drag and drop it into Thunderbird, and they should be imported.

You just gave a solution here. Since I don't use Thunderbird, will check. Thanks.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited December 2022

@kidrock said:

I've never used Zoho, but frankly, if Zoho doesn't have IMAP, it seems like a terrible choice, or am I missing something about why Zoho is otherwise so attractive? (Honest question)

• @angstrom said:

@kidrock said:

I've never used Zoho, but frankly, if Zoho doesn't have IMAP, it seems like a terrible choice, or am I missing something about why Zoho is otherwise so attractive? (Honest question)

They have IMAP for paid plans only. Free plan is 5 users with 5GB/user that's what attract people.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @kidrock said:

@angstrom said:

@kidrock said:

They have IMAP for paid plans only. Free plan is 5 users with 5GB/user that's what attract people.

I've just taken a look and it appears that the free plan is no longer available. The cheapest plan is the 5-GB plan (under MAIL LITE), which costs €0,90 per month and does offer IMAP

• @angstrom said:

@kidrock said:

@angstrom said:

@kidrock said:

I've just taken a look and it appears that the free plan is no longer available. The cheapest plan is the 5-GB plan (under MAIL LITE), which costs €0,90 per month and does offer IMAP

If you scroll down, there is a Free Forever plan below Mail Lite plan.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @kidrock said:

@angstrom said:

@kidrock said:

@angstrom said:

@kidrock said:

If you scroll down, there is a Free Forever plan below Mail Lite plan.

Okay, I see

In a way, the free plan is a good deal, but the hope is that users will upgrade with time and not try to escape :)

• If you have a lot of emails, you are probably better off just paying $1 for one month to migrate.

@kidrock said:

@angstrom said:

@kidrock said:

We do plan to other other ways of migrating messages. Gonna take a look at zoho's API to see how can we support non-IMAP migration for them.

Thanked by 1kidrock

Also about the outage, it's not due to load balancing, but the mesh networking of Docker.

• @angstrom said:

@kidrock said:

Also free tier used to have IMAP access, and afaik those accounts were grandfathered in and still have it (mine do anyway).

How many people here use JMAP?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ericls said:

Pretty much just fastmail users I think. JMAP is nice but for migration purposes, shouldn't offer anything that IMAP doesn't. Unless of course you're thinking of branching it out to migrations of Cal/CardDAV.

Thanked by 1ericls
  • LisoLiso Member
    edited December 2022

It seems I need to create account first ?

[EDIT] nvm, created one and currently checking out the feature. UI looks good :smiley:

Thanked by 1ericls
  • @ericls said:

Maps for Jewish people?

@TimboJones said:

@ericls said:

Maps for Jewish people?

Well, I don't believe that's what it stands for. I think it's JSON Meta Application Protocol