Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forgot root Password = Please help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Forgot root Password = Please help

Ok, so it finally happened. I have a VM which I did not access for a long time and I don't seem to recollect the root password (sorry, I am yet to advance to keys - that will be my next step).

I have access to the console and can mount a rescue disk too.

Any quick pointers to get access to my vm please?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Member, Patron Provider

If you have console access just put it in single usermode and reset the password.

Google example: centos 7 single user mode

Thanked by 1mgcAna
  • Fastest way if you have access to the grub menu is to append init=/bin/sh to the linux ... line. It should pop you into a root shell where you can reset the password via passwd.

Just Google for more specifics on the init=/bin/sh option and you'll find enough to help you through.

• @InceptionHosting said:
    If you have console access just put it in single usermode and reset the password.

Google example: centos 7 single user mode

I think this did the trick. Thank you @InceptionHosting

Thanked by 1InceptionHosting
  • @InceptionHosting Turns out I had another user created which was supposed to be used for login instead of root; whose password is working already.

Guess a nice new thing learned today