Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curiosity - Become a VPS provider.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Curiosity - Become a VPS provider.

Hi everyone, 

I am really curious about how you can build your own VPS provider. If we are talking about normal hosting, it is quite clear that you can basically rent a server, install a panel, use a billing automation tool, and pretty much that is it.

However, when we are talking about the VPS, I understand we can use SolusVM and also a billing automation tool; however, how is the process of assigning different IPs to the VPS and who is providing those IPs?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

If you are serious about doing it, I will recommend HostBill+Proxmox. (Enterprise@$799 one-time)

Otherwise you will end up spending thousands in software and theme only like me.

Also, forget about cheap E5 servers. Tried that and Failed.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

We'd be willing to assist you.

Please open a ticket: https://central.so/contact

We can supply dedicated servers and assist with first time installation.

• emgemg Veteran

First, search on this website and similar websites for "deadpool" and "summer host". Before you get too far, be sure you understand how you will avoid the same patterns that led to their failures.

Second, write a good business plan.

• Third, figure out what you're willing to accept from your customers. Amount of support/handholding you're willing to provide, types of traffic you want to embrace/avoid and their patterns, types of content you want nothing to do with for whatever reason, etc.

One thing I've seen a lot with deadpooled hosts is that they try to be everything to everyone, for a ridiculously low price.

Don't be afraid of being closer to the middle of the pack in pricing. You'll avoid more of the problematic types of customer. And once you draw your lines in the sand, stick to them.

This is the low end, which means margins are thin. Those who have been around a while will help back you up if you post why your pricing is why it is. e.g. if you choose a premium facility with an excellent peering mix, on good hardware (datacenter grade SSDs and ECC RAM are definitely things one doesn't see enough of from new hosts), etc.

Thanked by 1Sapcedor
  • Thank you so much, guys, for your help. I finally decided to learn how to do that, so I will make an experiment on how to virtualize a server to divide it into different VPS. I am curious how the IP assignment process works for those VPS.

Is there a low-cost dedicated server that can be virtualized for educational purposes? 

• I'm also curious as to what is needed at least on the software and hardware and services side.

1. Billing Automation: WHMCMS/HostBill etc...
    2. Virtualization: Proxmox/SoulsVM etc...
    3. Control Panel: DirectAdmin/CPanel etc...
    4. IP addresses
    5. Router
    6. Dedicated server
    7. Datacenter
    8. Merchant Bank Account capable of accepting numerous currencies and payment methods

Please correct me if anything above is incorrect. What else do you need?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

You'd need to rent a group of IPv4s to start with, unless you're going for a full managed solution, but as the title says VPSs....

• @Arkas said:
    You'd need to rent a group of IPv4s to start with, unless you're going for a full managed solution, but as the title says VPSs....

How do you go about renting or buying ipv4/ipv6 addresses? Is there a guide on that? What software/hardware is required? How much does it cost etc...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Sapcedor said: pretty much that is it

Well except for finding the customers and managing things like abuse and technical problems.

Those two things are 99% of the work.

• Ok, so I am also curious about getting IPs and assigning IPs. I understand then that maybe not every company that sells a dedicated service can offer the IPs, or at least not at a reasonable price. I see a lot of hosting and VPS companies using OVH, Contabo, etc. infrastructure.

I have some more questions for you, guys, if you don't mind answering them. For learning purposes, I would like to buy the Kimsufi cheap server, which is like 6 USD a month.

Kimsufi
    CPU : Intel ATOM N2800 - 2c/4t - 1,86 GHz/1,86 GHz
    4 GB DDR3
    Storage : 1 x 1 TB HDD SATA none

I checked the ATON N2800 on the official Intel website, and it states that it does not allow intel-virtualization. That means that I cannot do my test with this one?

Thank you in advance!

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Sapcedor said:
    Ok, so I am also curious about getting IPs and assigning IPs. I understand then that maybe not every company that sells a dedicated service can offer the IPs, or at least not at a reasonable price.

Hi @Sapcedor , we can assign you IPv9 addresses for cheap , it s only 9 🥭 per 999 addresses per month
    If you use our South Pole colocation facility, IPv9 is free
    IPv4 is outdated and you don t need them

I checked the ATON N2800 on the official Intel website, and it states that it does not allow intel-virtualization. That means that I cannot do my test with this one?

You can sell LXC containers on this machine , newtork is fast my man

Thanked by 2matheny dahartigan
  • I would like to come back to this topic. Does anyone have any recommendations for infrastructure providers? At first, I just want to do some experiments and deploy everything to see how it works in real life. I do not think there is any better way of learning.

Then, someone can provide some suggestions on cost-effectiveness:

• Infrastructure provider for the dedicated servers and IPs.
    • Software and license for virtualization. Is there any free alternative for learning purposes?
    • Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance, folks!

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Proxmox on a dedicated server

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Sapcedor said:
    Infrastructure provider for the dedicated servers and IPs.

@DataIdeas-Josh

Software and license for virtualization. Is there any free alternative for learning purposes?

virt-manager, manual provision.

Is there anything I am missing?

Deadpool prevention.

• @Shakib said:
    If you are serious about doing it, I will recommend HostBill+Proxmox. (Enterprise@$799 one-time)

Otherwise you will end up spending thousands in software and theme only like me.

What happens to the old E5s, eating too much power or just being not quite so feasible?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2022

@Sapcedor said:
    I would like to come back to this topic. Does anyone have any recommendations for infrastructure providers? At first, I just want to do some experiments and deploy everything to see how it works in real life. I do not think there is any better way of learning.

Then, someone can provide some suggestions on cost-effectiveness:

• Infrastructure provider for the dedicated servers and IPs.
    • Software and license for virtualization. Is there any free alternative for learning purposes?
    • Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance, folks!

1. IP is gonna cost you around $2 on average unless you get thousands of them
    2. Billing platform costs money + you need to pay for fees both on CCs amd PayPal.
    3. You must sit and help people with their problem ex. with networking

There's more costs, but...

Most important part:
    Reputable providers have VPSes for $2.5-$3.5. So if you include IPv4 then you have $0.5-$1.5 per VPS monthly for hardware, your salary.
    Even with 100 of them its a $150, $50 of which you will spend on dedi capable of doing it. $100 monthly is interesting? And you will get "that much" only if someone will buy from you instead of other brands that are in business for msny years.

VPS hosting is not worth it on low scale, especially when I saw that you wanted to do it on a N2800 that has 1/8 performance of smartphone.
    Domain renewal will eat your whole margin on that lol. And if any customer cancel their VPS then you dont earn anything lol.

Don't do it. This requires a lot of money to start and great strategy to dont end up in debt.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2022

@noisycode said:

@Shakib said:

What happens to the old E5s, eating too much power or just being not quite so feasible?

Too high power usage for their performance. Density of these sucks, you need 2x more racks than for newer chips.

If you colo somewhere then you pay per U so your savings by going with E5 will go away fast. And then you are basically losing money while having inferior hardware.

You can use them if you already have them, but getting them now? Naahhh...

Only good reason for getting them now is storage servers as they can come loaded with a lot of SATAs at very low price (or even RAID cards) and you dont need thwt much perf in this scenario. Add NVMe as ARC cache and youre set.

Thanked by 1noisycode
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:
    @DataIdeas-Josh

Software and license for virtualization. Is there any free alternative for learning purposes?

I can't really think of any as far as ones that will have a remote provision.
    But Proxmox is good for virtualization. OR if feeling a tad frisky then ESXI,
    All depends on how far a rabbit hole.

If don't have another machine to be testing on. Can always get https://www.virtualbox.org/

• Don't use cracked/free/cheap cPanel or whmcs mmmkay

• 1rst build your own DC and a Stateline for internet. msg me when your done I will you the next tips

Thanked by 1yoursunny