Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN + Storage + Mail Setup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN + Storage + Mail Setup

Last few hours of deals left so I thought I'd get some feedback. I was about to take a plunge into ProtonMail Visionary plan but then realised that meant putting all my eggs in one basket.

So which one would you pick and why?

1. Proton Visionary plan that includes storage, mail and VPN
  2. OVPN + Mxroute/Mailbox.org + Filen
  3. Or setup everything on your own on a dedi

Just looking for opinions from the great folks here before I take the plunge.

Comments

• No.2 but replace OVPN with either Mullvad or IVPN.

• @kidrock said:
    No.2 but replace OVPN with either Mullvad or IVPN.

Anything wrong with ovpn?

• @kidrock said:

why?

what about azire?

• HayashimaHayashima Member
    edited November 2022

MXROUTE + Mullvad + Set up vpns on vpses around the globe and use a server as jump tower to randomly connect me to 1 of the vpn servers then route all my traffic on the vps to the closest mullvad server + use failover on the jumptower. For storage, just use a storage vps.

How do you like that?

• @Astro said:

@kidrock said:

@hyperblast said:

@kidrock said:

why?

what about azire?

In terms of privacy and security, they are recommended by Privacyguides
    https://www.privacyguides.org/vpn/

Azire is also recommended here
    https://security-list.js.org/#/5_Privacy_Respecting_Software?id=virtual-private-networks

• @kidrock said:

@Astro said:

@kidrock said:

@hyperblast said:

@kidrock said:

why?

what about azire?

In terms of privacy and security, they are recommended by Privacyguides
    https://www.privacyguides.org/vpn/

Azire is also recommended here
    https://security-list.js.org/#/5_Privacy_Respecting_Software?id=virtual-private-networks

Azire seems too new

• @kidrock said:

OVPN is solid. As is Mullvad and IVPN. I just don't think PrivacyGuides has heard of it, OVPN runs under the radar for one reason or another.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • Depends on your skill.
    I always prefer to be in control of my storage, so use nextcloud and enable e2e encryption.
    I would recommend using a public VPN provider suchs as OVPN, Mullvad or Windscribe.
    Email is good either way, there are scripts such as iRedMail which the config super easy but self-hosting email is not for everyone.

• @the_doctor said: OVPN is solid. As is Mullvad and IVPN. I just don't think PrivacyGuides has heard of it, OVPN runs under the radar for one reason or another.

Agreed, plus they are court-proven that they have 0 logs. Which is nice to hear.

• Mullvad is not great for streaming, but for privacy - as mentioned above - they are proven to be reliable.

If you're after privacy - mullvad is where its at.

• the_doctorthe_doctor Member
    edited November 2022

@GreenRuby said:
    Depends on your skill.
    I always prefer to be in control of my storage, so use nextcloud and enable e2e encryption.
    I would recommend using a public VPN provider suchs as OVPN, Mullvad or Windscribe.
    Email is good either way, there are scripts such as iRedMail which the config super easy but self-hosting email is not for everyone.

Have you tried Seafile for file hosting? Thought it was better than Nextcloud.

Also MailInABox is my go-to for mail hosting. :)

• @the_doctor said:

@GreenRuby said:
    Depends on your skill.

I love seafile but I couldn't find an automated way to back that fucker up with property file storage system

• @the_doctor said:

@GreenRuby said:
    Depends on your skill.

Seafile is convenient for just files but I prefer nextcloud's due to its extra features, namely calendar

• @Astro said:

@the_doctor said:

@GreenRuby said:
    Depends on your skill.

I love seafile but I couldn't find an automated way to back that fucker up with property file storage system

What do you mean the file storage system is proprietary?

• If you can't trust an app's file encryption, encrypt them yourself. Cryptomator works great with cloud storages since each file is encrypted individually, and their programs got audited by Case53. At this point, all they can read is just gibberish, unless your concern lies with the exact size of each individual files.