Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzen vs EPYC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ryzen vs EPYC

As we know that Ryzen is made more for desktops whereas EPYC is more for servers. But many providers offer Ryzen-based VPS with higher clock speed. Indeed, the choice of CPU depends on the type of usage needs, but in general, which do you choose between 1 dedicated vCPU Ryzen 5700G or 1 dedicated vCPU EPYC 7282? Assuming the provider, RAM, disk, network, location, and price are the same.

Ryzen vs EPYC
  1. Which do you choose?70 votes
    1. 1 dedicated vCPU Ryzen 5700G
      57.14%
    2. 1 dedicated vCPU EPYC 7282
      42.86%

Comments

• Ryzen

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • Purely looking at benchmarks the answer would be ryzen, but if the ryzen is not a pro variant it does not support ECC ram so that's something to think about.

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

Are you talking about home server? :) If so - 5700G for sure. It lacks cache, but is very energy efficient. Otherwise - Epycs or Xeons without a doubt.

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • @vero said:
    Are you talking about home server? :) If so - 5700G for sure. It lacks cache, but is very energy efficient. Otherwise - Epycs or Xeons without a doubt.

I just picked up a Ryzen with high speed. I was not considering about cache. What about 5950X or even 7950X?

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@masiqbal said:

What about 5950X or even 7950X?

These are lovely animals.

I know , I'm not in majority, but I like server parts to be used in servers (not desktop).

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • @NoComment said:
    Purely looking at benchmarks the answer would be ryzen, but if the ryzen is not a pro variant it does not support ECC ram so that's something to think about.

That's what I'm concerned about, many people choose based on yabs results or something like that.

• anyone know if ryzen 1 vCPU can do encoding some short videos with ffmpeg? I'm a little confused if I should buy a ryzen VPS :(

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • I wouldn't touch the Ryzen ending with G. No ECC RAM support.
    Go with one that ends with X.

Thanked by 2masiqbal nick_
  • @Hxxx said: Go with one that ends with X.

Why one ending with X?

Pretty much no difference between 5600 and 5600X for example.

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • @Hxxx said:
    I wouldn't touch the Ryzen ending with G. No ECC RAM support.

Ryzen 7 don't support ECC? See lot of providers offering ECC.

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • @Harmony said:

@Hxxx said:

Ryzens ending with G are APUs. Non pro variants of ryzen APUs don't support ECC. Pro variants of ryzen APUs support ECC.

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • @NoComment said:

@Harmony said:

@Hxxx said:

Ryzens ending with G are APUs. Non pro variants of ryzen APUs don't support ECC. Pro variants of ryzen APUs support ECC.

So why do so many providers that offer 5950X include ECC RAM? My Hetzner server has https://semiconductor.samsung.com/dram/module/ecc-udimm-ecc-sodimm/m391a4g43ab1-cwe/

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2022

One thing to consider is whether or not there's dual power supplies. We're looking at a hardware refresh in 2023 and found dual PSU+hotswap nvme + Ryzen was pretty thin on the ground.

Dual PSU + hotswap nvme + epyc? Pretty much standard.

Personally I've found that makes the biggest difference in server stability compared to any other bit of hardware than perhaps raid.

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited November 2022

@Harmony said:

@NoComment said:

@Harmony said:

@Hxxx said:

So why do so many providers that offer 5950X include ECC RAM? My Hetzner server has https://semiconductor.samsung.com/dram/module/ecc-udimm-ecc-sodimm/m391a4g43ab1-cwe/

SIR you are not understanding.

Ryzen that ends with X in the model are PRO CPU's ... they support ECC. Some providers do match those with ECC RAM and others commit sin.

Ryzen that ends with G , are APU's most of those officially do not support ECC.

Hetzner uses ECC RAM (in the cheapest tier it does not but is an option).
    OVH uses ECC RAM too. But all these are RYZEN CPU models that end with X.

Thanked by 1masiqbal
  • NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited November 2022

@Hxxx said:

@Harmony said:

@NoComment said:

@Harmony said:

@Hxxx said:

SIR you are not understanding.

Ryzen that ends with X in the model are PRO CPU's ... they support ECC. Some providers do match those with ECC RAM and others commit sin.

Ryzen that ends with G , are APU's most of those officially do not support ECC.

Hetzner uses ECC RAM (in the cheapest tier it does not but is an option).
    OVH uses ECC RAM too. But all these are RYZEN CPU models that end with X.

You understand it slightly better but you're still mistaken about something. (Gotta blame AMD for this, tbh)

All ryzens that do not end with G support ECC on paper. (eg. 5600, 5600x) They support ECC only if the mobo supports ECC with the specific cpu model so ECC support isn't really guaranteed. There are also non G ryzens (non-APUs) that have pro variants. They also support ECC on paper, but supposedly the pro variants are better supported by the ECC supporting mobos.

Then, you have the ryzens ending with G which are APUs. The non-pro variants absolutely do not support ECC at all. The pro variants support ECC on paper. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if my understanding is off the mark too.

(X does not mean the ryzen is the pro variant)

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited November 2022

There is no official documentation for the G variant supporting ECC. You found that random reddit post, ignore it. It doesn't. No host run it with ECC. If you found one let me know. Not even HiVelocity (which they sell the G model) , not even them support ECC with that CPU. @NoComment

If is not officially supported then it doesn't have it.
    The one with X support ECC fine.

*Exception
    Pro with G might support ECC. However finding Pro with G in servers, might be rare. Haven't seen one.

Might be intentional since Ryzen is not exactly rated for server / DC/ usage.

• @Hxxx said: There is no official documentation for the G variant supporting ECC.

The non-pro G variant simply does not support ECC no matter what. The pro G may or may not support ECC, similar to the X variant (see below)

@Hxxx said: The one with X support ECC fine.

The pro X and non-pro X may or may not support ECC. It depends on the mobo, but the pro X is more likely to support ECC than the non-pro X.

@Hxxx said: Might be intentional since Ryzen is not exactly rated for server / DC/ usage.

I feel it's just a marketing gimmick because AMD was the first to start selling consumer chips that "support" ECC and it's intentionally confusing.

Thanked by 1Hxxx