Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Benchy... with color ! Can you test it out ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Benchy... with color ! Can you test it out ?

Hello there, I just updated my benchmark script "Benchy", adding support for colored output. I just color them to my liking— figure out I'd ask for an advice from LET for better look and feel ? Currently the header look like this

Run either:

wget -qO- benchy.pw | bash -s -- --color

or

wget -qO- benchy.pw | bash -s -- -c

Your terminal must support 256 colors, you can check it by executing tput colors and see the value printed— the script also will dismiss you had this requirement is not met.

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

VirmAche NVMe2G in Phoenix AZ, IPv6 via Route48 tunnel Las Vegas.

Screenshot at 2022-11-25 14-30-44

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2022

Looking nice, may be make colors default and allow people to switch them off when they don't want.
    Besides, were you able to implement feature to specify disk partition to run test on as many times it had picked up wrong partitions with insufficient space to to test. May be like

--disks /dev/sda3 --dev /dev/nvme0np3

• @yoursunny said:
    VirmAche NVMe2G in Phoenix AZ, IPv6 via Route48 tunnel Las Vegas.

Screenshot at 2022-11-25 14-30-44

Thanks, I didnt realize that dmesg error (probably because I'm using older version of Ubuntu), should be fixed now.

@Saahib said:
    Looking nice, may be make colors default and allow people to switch them off when they don't want.
    Besides, were you able to implement feature to specify disk partition to run test on as many times it had picked up wrong partitions with insufficient space to to test. May be like

--disks /dev/sda3 --dev /dev/nvme0np3

Reason I didn't make colors default is because it would trouble user if their terminal doesn't support it, the script will fail and request to omit --color option. Ultimately user have to go through all process again.

As it currently stand, Benchy should detect all available hard disk and bench them one by one— but specifying disk to bench is definitely doable and easy task.

But I can't vouch for it's successfulness, I currently don't own server which multiple disk in it (e.g. 256 gb SSD + 1tb hdd or 2x256 gb SSD). So I just code it as I think best fit, and hope someone who own one can test the script on their environment :smile: .

• @Saahib said: may be make colors default and allow people to switch them off when they don't want

Common behaviour for that is to try detect if your stdout is a terminal, if so use colour and if not don't, and in either case have options to let the user force what they want.

• Thanks. Very nice. Alternative for nench benchmark

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@Saahib said: may be make colors default and allow people to switch them off when they don't want

Common behaviour for that is to try detect if your stdout is a terminal, if so use colour and if not don't, and in either case have options to let the user force what they want.

Good idea, wonder why I didn't think of that before.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2022

Looks good in colours!

edit: had posted results, but
    of course I realize now I will have to post a screenshot in Vanilla like @yoursunny figured out already.

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

Nice script.
    Tried and works great.

This discussion has been closed.