Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Openvz and the OVH 2G
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Openvz and the OVH 2G

sc754sc754 Member

Hi,

I recently got a 2G from kimsufi which is a N2800. I wanted to know if it's possible to setup some openvz virtual containers on it without deleting my existing os and files? I'm planning on setting up a few containers and assigning some ipv4 ports to each so I can share the single ip they give you. I'm doing this just to learn and I know the performance for each vm won't be that good. Thanks

Thanked by 1Sonwebhost

Comments

• It is possible to install Proxmox, but you don't have additional ipv4 addresses to assign to the containers. You may have to use NAT

• @sundaymouse said:
    It is possible to install Proxmox, but you don't have additional ipv4 addresses to assign to the containers. You may have to use NAT

Thanks for the info. So if I install Openvz as per their instructions and boot into it, do my programs still run as normal? I was thinking NAT would be needed to get the ports forwarded.

• sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited October 2013

I am not sure whether OVH's default kernel supports OpenVZ though. Never tried.
    However, as long as you get OpenVZ up and running, the container will work just fine.
    For NAT, consider Haproxy.

• @sundaymouse said:
    I am not sure whether OVH's default kernel supports OpenVZ though. Never tried.
    However, as long as you get OpenVZ up and running, the container will work just fine.
    For NAT, consider Haproxy.

It's ok I installed a custom kernel with virtualisation support. Ok thanks

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited October 2013

@sc754 - Great way to learn.

What operating system are you using CentOS, Debian, ?

proxmox only runs on Debian.

You can set up openVZ on CentOS without trashing what you already have,but the panel is not as nice

DNAT and SNAT firewall rules are easy to setup for the node to forward to the containers.
    You will need to set up a vlan between the node and the containers.

• @FrankZ said:
    sc754 - Great way to learn.

What operating system are you using CentOS, Debian, ?

proxmox only runs on Debian.

You can set up openVZ on CentOS without trashing what you already have,but the panel is not as nice

DNAT and SNAT firewall rules are easy to setup for the node to forward to the containers.
    You will need to set up a vlan between the node and the containers.

I'm on centos 6. I've so far installed Openvz rebooted into the kernel and managed to get a vps running. I've even managed to forward a few ports on and allowed it access to the wider internet. I didn't setup a vlan to get it working though, it seems to just work by assigning it a random ip and then setting up the firewall rules. I didn't setup proxmox, I just setup openvz and then setup the vps through the command line in ssh. I'm not bothered about a panel for it since it's only me using the setup.

• @sc754 Sounds like you are set.. Good luck.