Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle OCI "Always Free" VPS. Why anything else?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle OCI "Always Free" VPS. Why anything else?

I have just tested the "Always Free" VPS offered by Oracle over the last few weeks, and I am impressed so far.

VPS I have created:

• 4 vCores (3Ghz, Ampere ARM)
  • Ubuntu Server
  • 24GB RAM
  • 100GB disk
  • Reserved public IP
  • 4gbps network (tested at 4000mbps up/down with speedtest)
  • 10TB per month of outbound data included

By no mean a slow server, and apparently will always stay free...

For an equivalent VPS elsewhere, it would probably cost $15-$20 per month.

Can't really see why people would pay for anything else (if they need one or two VPS)? Am I missing something?

Thanked by 2pepa65 danielyi

Comments

• You are missing the fact that it is ARM.
    Another thing you are missing is the fact that they randomly delete VMs and terminate accounts.

• Why make an account to ask? Aren't you happy with the free OCI instance?

Thanked by 1Otus9051
  • Reason 1: they love to terminate free accounts randomly without any apparent reason or warning with no way to recover.

Reason 2: Read reason 1

• @Otus9051 said:
    You are missing the fact that it is ARM.
    Another thing you are missing is the fact that they randomly delete VMs and terminate accounts.

What difference does ARM make when running Ubuntu/Debian? Everything I have tried so far is running fine.

I don't know about randomly deleting VMs, so far has been running 24x7 for 2 weeks.

• @plumberg said:
    Why make an account to ask? Aren't you happy with the free OCI instance?

I already had an account here.

I am very happy with the free OCI instance so far. Just surprised is not mentioned more often.

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited November 2022

@emgh said:

@tedtomato said: 2 weeks

My friend had one.
    Ran 10 days.
    Died.
    Oracle refused to elaborate.
    Banned his account and card.
    ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Thanked by 2tedtomato pepa65
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Ive heard many people say about their accounts getting terminated, my vms are running for more than a year, with no issues at all. I have just upgraded my account to a pay as you go one.

I would say. A public ipv4 and 24G and 4C is quite a steal for 0$

• @jmaxwell said:
    Reason 1: they love to terminate free accounts randomly without any apparent reason or warning with no way to recover.

Reason 2: Read reason 1

That would be annoying indeed. So far, I have read that they reserve the right to stop some VPS running.

Thanked by 1Void
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited November 2022

Yes, youre missing the fact that Oracle isnt trustworthy company and many times Fkd up their paying customers.

Communication from them doesnt exist. Couple days ago they wrote that they will stop "idle instances" without specifing what is "idle". Later they removed this information completly.

You cant be sure what idea they will have tomorrow, you have no one to contact for support etc.

With LET providers if they fuck up something you create post here and everybody sees it. With Oracle only like 0.5% of customers visits this forum.
    You have some power against small provider, they care about your $15. You have no power against Oracle, they would like to get rid of you as you are wasting their money.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @tedtomato said:

@plumberg said:

Created Nov 18....

I am very happy with the free OCI instance so far. Just surprised is not mentioned more often.

Right. You have an account here, but you haven't cared to search the place and claim ppl here haven't known about this? Wow

• @FatGrizzly said:
    Ive heard many people say about their accounts getting terminated, my vms are running for more than a year, with no issues at all. I have just upgraded my account to a pay as you go one.

So is the trick to move to to a "pay as you go" account, but stay within the "always free limits", or just pay something negligible?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited November 2022

@tedtomato said:

@FatGrizzly said:

So is the trick to move to to a "pay as you go" account, but stay within the "always free limits", or just pay something negligible?

There is no trick lol
    Its just an psychological validation of "Im valuable customer so they wont ban me".
    Ofc they will ban you if they want lol.

$100/mo is nothing for such company. Use free resources and get something else as failover from OTHER provider. Only this strategy saves you.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • @plumberg said:

@tedtomato said:

@plumberg said:

Created Nov 18....

Not sure what's your point? I have created an account here to ask questions about a number of providers. Is that not allowed by your standards? Should people create an account and then wait a minimum of 3 months?

@tedtomato said:

@FatGrizzly said:

I can't comment. I only upgraded mine yesterday to get out of the idle stopping stuff.

If you plan anytime to upgrade, increase your international transaction limit to something above 100$

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • @AXYZE said:

You cant be sure what idea they will have tomorrow, you have no one to contact for support etc.

To be fair, if I am paying $0 per month, I am not going to expect some amazing support. If I need good support (business critical server), I would expect to pay for it.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited November 2022

@tedtomato said:

@AXYZE said:

To be fair, if I am paying $0 per month, I am not going to expect some amazing support. If I need good support (business critical server), I would expect to pay for it.

You have NO support whatsover on always free tier. You need to be on PAYG plan to have basic support from some outsourced dudes (good luck getting help with anything, couple persons in Oracle megathread already tried to use support when they were banned. Zero support aka "sorry we cant provide you with more information").

Just use free tier and pay provider that will care about you as a customer.
    Oracle cares when you spend like $10k+ monthly.

• tedtomatotedtomato Member
    edited November 2022

@FatGrizzly said:

I can't comment. I only upgraded mine yesterday to get out of the idle stopping stuff.

If you plan anytime to upgrade, increase your international transaction limit to something above 100$

Did you suffer yourself from them stopping VPS, while you were with an "always free" account for over a year? Or are you just being proactive/cautious?

@tedtomato said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Did you suffer yourself from them stopping VPS, while you were with an "always free" account for over a year? Or are you just being pro-active/cautious?

No. Been an always free account over an year.

I was kind of cautious to say, I signed up on a residential static IP VPN, used it whenever i access the dashboard.

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • @Otus9051 said:

@emgh said:

My friend had one.
    Ran 10 days.
    Died.
    ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Did you friend abuse a bit the service? Like running a busy server, using a lot of bandwidth, doing things possibly illegal etc?

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited November 2022

I think most replies here imply you can't trust it for production. If your use case is less serious and ARM is OK for you then it's perfectly fine. Just backup your data.

Thanked by 3tedtomato Kebab kkrajk
    edited November 2022

@AXYZE said:
    You have NO support whatsover on always free tier. You need to be on PAYG plan to have basic support from some outsourced dudes

Fine by me. If they terminate my server (and I need to restart manually), will be somehow annoying.

If they delete my account for no reasons (and without notice), then it will be slightly annoying, as I will need to find an alternative (so some time spent).

I can't see many reasons for me to have to contact support apart from those two scenarios.

I am not running anything critical, nor planning to hammer the service.

Once I am out of my free trial period, I may move to a PAYG account and make sure there is a small charge each month. They are surely more likely to delete free customers than paying ones.

edited November 2022

@farsighter said:
    I think most replies here imply you can't trust it for production. If your use case is less serious and ARM is OK for you then it's perfectly fine. Just backup your data.

Sure. I wouldn't put a production system on a free offer anyway. Would just be crazy.

As for the data, good point, particularly if they delete accounts without notice.

• Why must free if i can buy for some money??

• If you are using all 4 ampere cores but only 100GB, you should have another 100GB sitting ready to be used as block storage or something.

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • @nocloud said:
    If you are using all 4 ampere cores but only 100GB, you should have another 100GB sitting ready to be used as block storage or something.

Yes indeed, thanks.

I haven't optimised it. I think I could also get 2 x VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro instances, as part of the "always free" package:

• 1 vcore
    • 1GB ram
    • 480Mbps network
  • @tedtomato said:

@Otus9051 said:

@emgh said:

My friend had one.
    Ran 10 days.
    Died.
    ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Did you friend abuse a bit the service? Like running a busy server, using a lot of bandwidth, doing things possibly illegal etc?

idle.
    ran neofetch like 3-4 times a day maybe.
    and a NGINX server, barely used.

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • @tedtomato said:

@plumberg said:

@tedtomato said:

@plumberg said:

Created Nov 18....

Not sure what's your point? I have created an account here to ask questions about a number of providers. Is that not allowed by your standards? Should people create an account and then wait a minimum of 3 months?

You're speaking as if you had an account here for years... that's all.

Plus if you had cared to hit the search option, this thread would not be needed.

• labraxlabrax Member
    edited November 2022

@FatGrizzly said:

if you dont do anything funny pretty sure it will last, mine was for seedbox and got terminated a month later

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • subscribed for future "account/vm termination" complaint