Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

small startup site mail options
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

small startup site mail options

Im building a small basic custom eCommerce site with a php backend. Ive not done anything like this for a decade so just wondering what are the mail options, considering that this is just a very small startup and money is very tight, and at the start 0 customer base .

I have seen threads about mxRoute and mail.baby... But i really want to keep overheads at the start to a bare minimum i was i was wondering what would be the issue with just sending email using PHP mail function? surly hosts don't have an issue with this for a small site that only sends a hand full of emails a day.

Also If i go with an external option what is the problem with say zoho free tier. I also noticed cloudflare email routing although ive not looked into it and not really sure what it is.

Seems a waste of money to use mxRoute when their lowest tier has unlimited domains, as i would be paying the same for 1 site as someone with 100 sites would. Hopefuly the site will gain traction and then mxRoute would make perfect sense, but equally it could fizzle out to nothing and would have wasted money.

Comments

• mxRoute $5 per year

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@nocloud said: waste of money to use mxRoute when their lowest tier has unlimited domains

That's operating under the assumption that if a package were limited to one domain it could cost only $0.01 a year for the account. Rather, you're just not getting an artificial limit on an already low-priced service. Compare that $45/year to Google Workspace which costs $6/m for one user, which is cheaper?

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Amazon SES might be also option.

Zoho zepto gives first 10000 mail free for 6 months, later is also cheap. They are not very bad nor very good.

Thanked by 2nocloud ravi
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2022

@nocloud said: Seems a waste of money to use mxRoute when their lowest tier has unlimited domains, as i would be paying the same for 1 site as someone with 100 sites would. Hopefuly the site will gain traction and then mxRoute would make perfect sense, but equally it could fizzle out to nothing and would have wasted money.

I read this and was bewildered by the logic behind these statements.

MxRoute is a low cost email provider with very high reliability and quality of service. I use it for my personal email on one domain. It is cost effective compared with any other solution I found for hosting my personal email with my own domain. MxRoute is much better and cheaper than any comparable email service that I have found.

I do not care that it is equally suitable for large customers who do more with it. What other customers do with MxRoute does not affect me. Why should I care?

P.S.
    The one feature that is missing from MxRoute is a way to backup and restore email accounts and especially forwarders. I am left to write my own code using the DirectAdmin API, but that's a bit of work. I keep hoping that someone will write it and make it available for all customers. (It was built-in to cPanel, but lost when MxRoute switched to DirectAdmin.)

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • @jar said:

@nocloud said: waste of money to use mxRoute when their lowest tier has unlimited domains

That's operating under the assumption that if a package were limited to one domain it could cost only $0.01 a year for the account. Rather, you're just not getting an artificial limit on an already low-priced service. Compare that $45/year to Google Workspace which costs $6/m for one user, which is cheaper?

Yer i realize it's better value and very good service you offer from what ive read here. The poster above you mentioned $5 a year, is that a thing ?

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Saahib said:
    Amazon SES might be also option.

Zoho zepto gives first 10000 mail free for 6 months, later is also cheap. They are not very bad nor very good.

I agree..
    Zoho zepto is best to get started.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • You can use AWS SES (PAYG) services because it only bills you when you send email. If you are sending lots of email it means your business is kicking off so you have money to pay and then you can do the cost optimization.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@nocloud said:

@jar said:

Yer i realize it's better value and very good service you offer from what ive read here. The poster above you mentioned $5 a year, is that a thing ?

Probably won't bring back the $5/year plan

• emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2022

@nocloud said:

Deals come and go. You jump on the best available at the time, or take a chance and wait to see if a better one appears. You can always sign up for a plan, and if a better one appears later, sign up for it and let the old one expire. If you ask politely, I bet that @jar will let you move your data from the old MxRoute plan to a new one (or just change the plan parameters on your existing plan). I have seen the question asked here before.

In case it matters, I pay $15 a year for the MxRoute plan that I signed up for in 2016. It hosts a domain I use for a small amount of personal email. I plan to use it for all of our family's email someday in the (near?) future.

In comparison, I pay $50 a year for a shared hosting plan that has the family email, including a large number of forwarders that I use. I create a unique forwarder for every website or business that I deal with. The ONLY reason that I have not moved away from this shared provider is that they offer cPanel, which lets me back up the email accounts and forwarders. Backups are a good thing no matter what, but they also let me switch email to another provider without a lot of effort.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • Zoho zepto mail is cheap, but mails land up in spam sometimes, not sure what is the issue.

SES is great, and cheap, but you need to be careful since they can suspend your account if your bounce rate is more than 5%.

Other option - Get any cheap cPanel shared hosting with mailchannels.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • kidrockkidrock Member
    edited November 2022

@jar said:

So will it be $4 or $6 per year for this offer? ;)
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/130487/mxroute-email-hosting-black-friday-starting-at-5-year/p1

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@kidrock said:

@jar said:

So will it be $4 or $6 per year for this offer? ;)
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/130487/mxroute-email-hosting-black-friday-starting-at-5-year/p1

If you can go back in time 5 years, it will be $5 per year.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@nocloud There are MXroute resellers who offer smaller packages. For example, one I know of offers a single mailbox for $1 per month (paid annually). This package would be perfect for your use case.