Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sharing a VPS for a Seedbox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sharing a VPS for a Seedbox

I'm a newbie to this forum. I've seen requests for affordable seedboxes. People suggested getting a VPS and setting it up to be a seedbox.

With Black Friday deals around the corner, there would be good deals for a 12 month VPS. A group of 2 to 4 people, can chip in with $20 each.

Perhaps if there is enough interest in this thread a provider might come up with some sort of group by option.

Is this something worth while? or not worth the headache and risk

Comments

• get a dedi and learn lxc and install swizzin on each vm

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

iHostART is selling 50GB storage container for €5.50/year.
    Install qBittorrent and you get a LowEndSeedbox.

Thanked by 1Dojob
  • @Dojob said: Is this something worth while? or not worth the headache and risk

I'd say it's not worth it, unless you've already got a group of friends you trust that would be interested. You don't want to have to deal with someone abusing the service.

Thanked by 2Dojob PulsedMedia
  • why someone need a dedi for seedbox?
    for affordable seedbox, @yoursunny made a great suggestion

• Thanks guys for the suggestions. iHostART seems to be a good option

• @Dojob said:
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. iHostART seems to be a good option

And come back in some time crying how awesome the provider services are....

/s

• @Dojob said:

There's a reason why it cost as little as €5.50/year...

@Liso said:

@Dojob said:

Yes, the IPv6 isn't working on this service.
    Calin hooked me up with another VPS that has working IPv6 so that I can establish tunnels.
    That other VPS costs €5.40/year, so he would be losing €0.0148 each day until he fixes IPv6 on this storage container.

• @yoursunny said:

@Liso said:

@Dojob said:

Yes, the IPv6 isn't working on this service.
    Calin hooked me up with another VPS that has working IPv6 so that I can establish tunnels.
    That other VPS costs €5.40/year, so he would be losing €0.0148 each day until he fixes IPv6 on this storage container.

Is it strong enough to run Plex/emby on top of it?

edited November 2022

@Liso said:

Plex is for perverts such as Nekki.
    How we do it with minimal resources:

1. Run rclone serve http.
    2. Open the webpage, copy the URI for a file.
    3. Paste into VLC Player.
    Thanked by 1ntlx
  • @yoursunny said:

@Liso said:

The TRUE low end way

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @yoursunny said:

@Liso said:

I’m not that mentally strong

Thanked by 1Xrmaddness
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2022

@Dojob said:
    People suggested getting a VPS and setting it up to be a seedbox.

There are providers who offer seedboxes preconfigured for you. You don't always need a VPS to maintain.

• edited November 2022

@pan21 said:

@jugganuts said: get a dedi and learn lxc and install swizzin on each vm

why someone need a dedi for seedbox?

The thread title talks of sharing a seedbox, which implies more resources than most low-end VPS actually offer¹ and many mid-level ones too.

Though the budget mentioned (2-to-5 people with $20/yr each) definitely puts them away from dedi territory. Even a KS1, if there were any available, would be a little more than the top of that range.

@default said: There are providers who offer seedboxes preconfigured for you. You don't always need a VPS to maintain.

This would be my suggestion also.

@Dojob said: or not worth the headache and risk

Unlikely to be worth it IMO. You might get more bang for your buck buying collectively, but not by enough. Someone needs to do the admin² of – the provider won't³. Technical admin like keeping your things patched up-to-date and monitoring to see the others do, and social admin like dealing with a user who consumes too much of a resource if they are not bolted down by technical means or finding a replacement next time if someone decides not to renew.

----
    [1] Some might nominally offer enough that cheap, but good luck actually using those resources without running into issues with fair use policies on BW/CPU/other or just butting against other users on an oversold node.

[2] Are you volunteering? Or suggestion you'd trust a random from here to keep on top of it?

[3] Unless you pay them for that, then that is your group saving and possibly more eaten away.

Thanked by 2Dojob PulsedMedia
  • @MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@pan21 said:

@jugganuts said: get a dedi and learn lxc and install swizzin on each vm

why someone need a dedi for seedbox?

The thread title talks of sharing a seedbox, which implies more resources than most low-end VPS actually offer¹ and many mid-level ones too.

Though the budget mentioned (2-to-5 people with $20/yr each) definitely puts them away from dedi territory. Even a KS1, if there were any available, would be a little more than the top of that range.

@default said: There are providers who offer seedboxes preconfigured for you. You don't always need a VPS to maintain.

This would be my suggestion also.

@Dojob said: or not worth the headache and risk

Unlikely to be worth it IMO. You might get more bang for your buck buying collectively, but not by enough. Someone needs to do the admin² of – the provider won't³. Technical admin like keeping your things patched up-to-date and monitoring to see the others do, and social admin like dealing with a user who consumes too much of a resource if they are not bolted down by technical means or finding a replacement next time if someone decides not to renew.

----
    [1] Some might nominally offer enough that cheap, but good luck actually using those resources without running into issues with fair use policies on BW/CPU/other or just butting against other users on an oversold node.

[2] Are you volunteering? Or suggestion you'd trust a random from here to keep on top of it?

[3] Unless you pay them for that, then that is your group saving and possibly more eaten away.

You make some really valid points that I didn't think off. The overhead of administering the server won't be worth it. There are too many unknowns. Also if there is a support issue, the provider will only deal will one individual.

There is also peace of mind from subscribing to a seedbox provider. On a VPS the provider might have a change in mind if there if utilisation and bandwidth is high.

• I have my seedbox on a ~600 GB storage VPS for last 4 years. If you just want to use/try it yourself let me know, we can share, if you promise to stay away from public trackers.

Mentally strong people stay in pubic trackers and reach 2.0 share ratio.

Thanked by 1beanman109
  • @Emrys said:
    if you promise to stay away from public trackers.

This is a key problem with sharing seedboxes and similar: promises like this are often made with an unspoken “more or less”. Too often people think “it won't matter this once” and if it turns out that it did matter that once they often think “I thought it wouldn't matter” is a valid reason for ignoring what is presented as an absolute rule. Even if they do a full “yep, mia culpa, sorry” that doesn't help as it often won't get the account reinstated if the provider as cut them off due to a breach of their rules or external complaints.

Thanked by 1Dojob
  • @yoursunny said:

@Liso said:

Gangster AF