Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is my ISP shitting the bed or is it something else?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is my ISP shitting the bed or is it something else?

emghemgh Member
edited November 2022 in Help

I currently play a lot of CS:GO. Sometimes, my ping goes to like 600-800 ms, and then it's stuck there for like 5-6 minutes, and then I'm back to like 12 ms.

I tracerouted Google.com when having issues, and when not having issues.

Sadly, I haven't timed it 100 % yet, so I didn't have 600-800 ms, but 100+, compared to like 12 ms normally.

Tracerouted Google because it seems the issue is persistent no matter the site when it's on.

Traceroute (issues): https://pastebin.com/Jk7mbps2

Traceroute (no issues): https://pastebin.com/YXbzXy0z

I guess line 1 & 2 are the most interesting, when having issues, I have almost 50 ms ping to myself locally? Router issue?

Thanked by 1stefeman

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Maybe you need Route Bender 4000 🦸 ?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @yoursunny said:

Does that help when my ping is so high CS dosen't even recognize I'm online?

Also, my co-workers think me not using a webcam is because I look trashed and had no sleep rather than it being an internet issue.

To kill that rumor I need this fixed.

• Most likely router issue. Try rebooting the router or get wired connection. CSGO is so sensitive to latency peaks.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Caught it in 4K (2562 ms ping to 192.168.0.1):

traceroute to google.com (142.250.74.142), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
     1  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  2562.377 ms * *
     2  * * *
     3  * * lm1-core-1-et150.net.comhem.se (213.200.168.83)  1985.893 ms
     4  jkg300-core-1.bundle-ether1.tele2.net (91.129.12.40)  1254.139 ms *  1912.720 ms
     5  ssol1-core-2.bundle-ether9.tele2.net (91.129.12.21)  2005.882 ms
        avk-core-2.bundle-ether8.tele2.net (91.129.12.34)  599.987 ms  2054.464 ms
     6  * inx-peer-1-ae1-0.net.comhem.se (213.200.169.19)  1267.992 ms  296.668 ms
     7  72.14.220.122 (72.14.220.122)  2029.215 ms  29.248 ms
        72.14.214.82 (72.14.214.82)  83.583 ms
     8  * * *
     9  108.170.253.161 (108.170.253.161)  268.541 ms
        172.253.72.122 (172.253.72.122)  23.812 ms
        142.251.236.70 (142.251.236.70)  33.415 ms
    10  108.170.253.166 (108.170.253.166)  22.932 ms  19.567 ms
        142.251.48.43 (142.251.48.43)  18.306 ms
    11  arn11s11-in-f14.1e100.net (142.250.74.142)  18.438 ms  35.289 ms
        108.170.254.49 (108.170.254.49)  19.125 ms

• Try constantly ping your router, your game server, and google. When you feel lag, check them all to see which part is affected.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Reset the whole router, happened again :(

Guess I'll have to ask the ISP for a new router tomorrow.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2022

Do you have anything that acts as a wireless repeater? For example the sky q TV box is a WiFi repeater and will ruin connectivity.

Try Ethernet to see if it's just WiFi that's affected.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @jackb said:
    Do you have anything that acts as a wireless repeater? For example the sky q TV box is a WiFi repeater and will ruin connectivity.

Try Ethernet to see if it's just WiFi that's affected.

Nope.

I’ll try.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@emgh said:
    2562 ms ping to 192.168.0.1

Mentally strong people use Fast Ethernet and 802.11ac DFS channels.
    802.11b are for weasels.

Thanked by 1pike
  • @emgh said:

Are you sure it is a good idea to post your IP address on green forums?

• emghemgh Member
    edited November 2022

@kasodk said:

@emgh said:

Are you sure it is a good idea to post your IP address on green forums?

Really don't care lol

Worst case someone DDoS me and I call my ISP and get a new one

Actually, and this is slightly off-topic: Why is everyone so scared of exposing their IPs? I've been open with where I live to a more exact degree than the IP checking tools (they are all wrong really)

And even more off-topic: Can you even see my IP in the traceroutes (I didn't mask it but I just don't see it)? If so you're smart enough to, you deserve to know it because I really don't see it

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@emgh said: Actually, and this is slightly off-topic: Why is everyone so scared of exposing their IPs? I've been open with where I live to a more exact degree than the IP checking tools (they are all wrong really)

I don't care either, I often have warp+(to access apps behind cloudflare 0 trust) or its my ip which is behind CGNAT. So even if someone attempts to ddos, I dont think I receive the packets[my understanding]

Probably one worse thing would be people can pinpoint a location(5km radius) to my home.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited November 2022

@FatGrizzly said: Probably one worse thing would be people can pinpoint a location(5km radius) to my home.

Me too, me too.

I don't have CGNAT though, only on my phone. At home I've got a public IP that is mine and only mine :D

If someone is really interested I can provide that information without he or she having to spend time researching.

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • ralfralf Member
    edited November 2022

Also, check all the routers in your house and also trying swapping out network cables, even if they look good.

I've got some cables that work fine at 100 mbit, but fail completely at 1000 mbit, and others that are seemingly identical that work fine. The problem seems to occur both with a couple of the cables I made myself, probably on the same day in fact, and with purchased cables and I actually suspect it might just be how much they've been bent in their lifetime which causes slight signal reflections at 1000 mbit.

I've got one router which works fine at 1000 mbit, but if I overload it with traffic, it drops the connection and my main router notices that and tries to renegotiate speeds and causes just under a second of lost packets.

Interestingly, when that was paired with another fairly dumb router it was fine at 1000 mbit, I guess I just lost a few packets here and there and was none the wiser, but now it's paired with a device that negotiates up to 2.5 Gbps, it causes the intelligent NIC problems.

Anyway, the reason for mentioning this is that the latency is about the same latency I get when my NICs need to renegotiate speeds.

A good way of checking this is running a continuous ping to your router (if on Windows, use -t) and see if you get any packet loss there.

• @emgh said:
    And even more off-topic: Can you even see my IP in the traceroutes (I didn't mask it but I just don't see it)? If so you're smart enough to, you deserve to know it because I really don't see it

Second hop - the first is your 192.168.x.x internal network, the second is your router IP.

• @ralf said:
    Also, check all the routers in your house and also trying swapping out network cables, even if they look good.

I've got some cables that work fine at 100 mbit, but fail completely at 1000 mbit, and others that are seemingly identical that work fine. The problem seems to occur both with a couple of the cables I made myself, probably on the same day in fact, and with purchased cables and I actually suspect it might just be how much they've been bent in their lifetime which causes slight signal reflections at 1000 mbit.

I've got one router which works fine at 1000 mbit, but if I overload it with traffic, it drops the connection and my main router notices that and tries to renegotiate speeds and causes just under a second of lost packets.

Interestingly, when that was paired with another fairly dumb router it was fine at 1000 mbit, I guess I just lost a few packets here and there and was none the wiser, but now it's paired with a device that negotiates up to 2.5 Gbps, it causes the intelligent NIC problems.

Interesting!

I'll dig deeper and use your clues IF problem comes back again.

Since I restored the router settings, it was shitty for the first hour or so, but since then it has worked flawlessly.

Either way, might get a new router because my ISPs DNS isn't the best and I want to change it for the whole network, and I simply can't because my ISP has a backdoor to it and have disabled that feature.

When I call them, they're also able to change settings on it remotely (not a bad thing, just a sign that they're in control of it).

• emghemgh Member
    edited November 2022

@ralf said:

@emgh said:

Second hop - the first is your 192.168.x.x internal network, the second is your router IP.

213.200.143.26 being my public IP? It's actually not. I'm 99.99 % sure it wasn't back then either.

Just tried the traceroute again, still getting 213.200.143.26 but that's not my public IP.

ONLY the first set of numbers is correct, none of the other 3 are.

• @emgh said:
    Just tried the traceroute again, still getting 213.200.143.26 but that's not my public IP.

Interesting, I just checked mine at home and I'm seeing similar. Curious. Maybe this is something to do with how PPPoE works.

• @ralf said:

@emgh said:

Interesting, I just checked mine at home and I'm seeing similar. Curious. Maybe this is something to do with how PPPoE works.

I have no clue but I want to have a clue.

Might do some online networking course or something, I feel like about 25 % of what's said here about networking goes way over my head.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2022

@emgh said:

@yoursunny said:

Does that help when my ping is so high CS dosen't even recognize I'm online?

Also, my co-workers think me not using a webcam is because I look trashed and had no sleep rather than it being an internet issue.

To kill that rumor I need this fixed.

It depends, technically, to a certain point.

If your ISP network is fucked beyond repair, no.
    If you can avoid, the congested routes by your ISP, by leaving the network asap, yes.

I use that, to avoid most of the crap and overloaded routes from my ISP.

You have to figure out, where they get congested and if everything is affected.
    Do you got proper dual stack? or some v4 in v6 pile of shit NAT gateway from your ISP?

• @Neoon said: Do you got proper dual stack? or some v4 in v6 pile of shit NAT gateway from your ISP?

I think my router was/is fucked up, because while my internet provider isn't on my recommended list and certainly isn't as good as my last one (Bahnhof), it's decent.

Fiber connection to the apartment, so actually, and maybe should have mentioned that, my internet connections goes through one of those conversion boxes sitting besides the router, CTS HES-3106.

The routing isn't good but far from shitty, and it's actually never ever been down - so I wouldn't say it's shitty. Infrastructure supports up to gigabit speeds (just don't wanna pay for it).

HOWEVER, to answer your question, no IPv6 for AT LEAST 10 years, I was told by Bahnhof's engineers after harassing the first line support personnel for too long.

So I guess same goes for now, seems to be that way for consumer grade internet in at least a big part of Sweden.

• when I had cable modem if my upload was saturated it killed the ping times. I would limit my upload speed to 90% of my available upload speed. YMMV

Thanked by 1emgh
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@emgh said:

@Neoon said: Do you got proper dual stack? or some v4 in v6 pile of shit NAT gateway from your ISP?

I think my router was/is fucked up, because while my internet provider isn't on my recommended list and certainly isn't as good as my last one (Bahnhof), it's decent.

Fiber connection to the apartment, so actually, and maybe should have mentioned that, my internet connections goes through one of those conversion boxes sitting besides the router, CTS HES-3106.

The routing isn't good but far from shitty, and it's actually never ever been down - so I wouldn't say it's shitty. Infrastructure supports up to gigabit speeds (just don't wanna pay for it).

HOWEVER, to answer your question, no IPv6 for AT LEAST 10 years, I was told by Bahnhof's engineers after harassing the first line support personnel for too long.

So I guess same goes for now, seems to be that way for consumer grade internet in at least a big part of Sweden.

IPv4 only still better than IPv6 only with IPv4 translated by overloaded ISP gateways.
    Lots of ISP's are doing that shit since a bit.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emgemg Veteran

Can you borrow hardware from a friend and swap out components one at a time for troubleshooting? Invite them over for dinner. Tell them it is an opportunity for them to network with others. ;-)

Same thing with cables - swap each cable out one by one to make sure.

Make one change at a time, then retest. Was it necessary to say that?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • I experience high ping sometimes even to my router. When ever this happens I just restart the router and the ping goes back to normal.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Best for gaming is ethernet cable. Wifi gets congested on channels from neighbor's and then lags. Also can be temperature issue, probably bad modem/router and overheat then fucking the wifi. Also we had cases when ppl swap adapters. Usually we provide modem and customer buys the router and on some cases they swapped the chargers from both so modem do fast resets on networking. Usually routers from ISP's are bad. Try gaming router. I had same issues on WoW so i just went to ethernet cable.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @FatGrizzly said:

@emgh said: Actually, and this is slightly off-topic: Why is everyone so scared of exposing their IPs? I've been open with where I live to a more exact degree than the IP checking tools (they are all wrong really)

I don't care either, I often have warp+(to access apps behind cloudflare 0 trust) or its my ip which is behind CGNAT. So even if someone attempts to ddos, I dont think I receive the packets[my understanding]

Probably one worse thing would be people can pinpoint a location(5km radius) to my home.

Well good thing here in america with dynamic IPs they can't do that lol. My IP just points to some random park in my city but not where i live or not even close to where i live.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • and yes i know dynamic IPs are not just in america lol

Thanked by 1emgh
  • So, killing rumors by changing routers. What a sentence! Yea, isps love to tease those fps fanatics by randomly switching routes :D . Trolling their users.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • At the beginning of the year, I have a VERY similar issue. Ping related issues in games that would make them unplayable at times.

http://startrinity.com/InternetQuality/ContinuousBandwidthTester.aspx

I used this software on my home server that was directly connected to the modem. Ran this at ALL times, and would check on it when I started noticing issues in games.

The part that you should look at is your Packet Loss. I am almost positive that you are having some sort of Packet Loss related issue. This should help you figure it out.

Sadly in my case, even after having multiple dozens of techs come to my house, we just had to switch ISPs. Luckily, we went from COAX to Fiber, and its been flawless since.

Thanked by 1emgh