Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using Bunny DNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using Bunny DNS?

pkrpkr Member
edited September 2022 in General

How is your experience with Bunny DNS? Is it quick like Cloudflare in Asian countries? What is the average DNS Lookup time in different continents?

Thanked by 1pom

Comments

• dergelbedergelbe Member
    edited September 2022

I use Bunny, but don't know how to test DNS lookup time.
    I switched some domains from Cloudflare to Bunny because of too many 522 errors. All gone with Bunny.

• edited September 2022

@pkr said: How is your experience with Bunny DNS? Is it quick like Cloudflare in Asian countries?

It's been great. Serving >2m queries, Asian based site.

Don't have data about DNS lookup time unfortunately. What I know is their NS are hosted on Stackpath (ex maxcdn?), and have presence in SG.

• I have not tested BunnyDNS, but I do more than 100M queries, and CloudDNS is too good as they provide 1000 zone records, Unlimited Queries, Whitelabel and DDoS protection.

• @imgmoney said:
    I have not tested BunnyDNS, but I do more than 100M queries, and CloudDNS is too good as they provide 1000 zone records, Unlimited Queries, Whitelabel and DDoS protection.

cDNS is not free.

• @LTniger said: cDNS is not free.

The plan which I have told is not free. But I do see the free plan.

Screenshot 2022-09-04 at 7.14.06 PM

• @imgmoney said:

@LTniger said: cDNS is not free.

The plan which I have told is not free. But I do see the free plan.

Screenshot 2022-09-04 at 7.14.06 PM

And how this free plan in compare to cloudflare or bunny? Not much...

In the other news - use bunny to avoid censorship as it is with cloudflare, recently.

• I need to pay $1/mo min for BunnyDNS? (if that's their only product I use)

• @dotcomUNDERGROUND said:
    I need to pay $1/mo min for BunnyDNS? (if that's their only product I use)

We're delighted to say that the basic core DNS will be completely free of charge. For the scriptable DNS, we are aiming to match the traditional pricing of legacy DNS providers with an aim to hit pricing between $0.1 to $0.4 per million queries.

https://bunny.net/blog/transforming-internet-routing-introducing-bunny-dns/

• @dosai said:

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:

We're delighted to say that the basic core DNS will be completely free of charge. For the scriptable DNS, we are aiming to match the traditional pricing of legacy DNS providers with an aim to hit pricing between $0.1 to $0.4 per million queries.

oh okay, thanks.

The "upgrade account" being the only clickable element got me confused.

• @dosai said:

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:

My "add new zone" option is disabled

• I'd guess they want you to at least keep a service active, so yes, you'd need to pay the minimum of $1/month if your usage in their service overall doesn't covers the entirety of $1.

@BunnySpeed might want to confirm this is intended though :)

• here's their dns pricing

• Anyone know the advantages of using BunnyDNS vs CloudFlare?

• @phucvandinh said:
    Anyone know the advantages of using BunnyDNS vs CloudFlare?

Free load balancing, geodns, and failover (if you don’t want/need cloudflare proxying)

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

I use it for a few less important domains. Looks like it's a minimum charge of $1 per month, even if DNS is free? Still have some free credit but should look into this at some point.

Tried it for hosting static websites, but setup was more difficult than CF pages and the response time less consistent.

• pkrpkr Member

@m4nu said:
    I use it for a few less important domains. Looks like it's a minimum charge of $1 per month, even if DNS is free? Still have some free credit but should look into this at some point.

Tried it for hosting static websites, but setup was more difficult than CF pages and the response time less consistent.

Yes, you are right. I asked Bunny and they confirmed that I need to pay $1 per month if I have an account with them.

Thanked by 1m4nu
  • Switched from cDNS and till now quite happy.

• We decided to go with Bunny dns from cloud flare. Reason is CF don't allow you to cname your domain if its in their zone. Second is load balancing in CF is not free. Bunny has latency based and Geo based routing. And the most important part for us was to provide vanity domains for our customers, Cloudflare has a offering called cloud flare for saas where you can provision SSL for custom hostname, but this never worked for us due to our deployment architecture and we dont want to change it. Bunny DNS allowed us to provision unlimited customer hostnames and issue SSL all through their API without any manual intervention. This saves us lot of manual efforts and complexities.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @sreekanth850 said:
    We decided to go with Bunny dns from cloud flare. Reason is CF don't allow you to cname your domain if its in their zone. Second is load balancing in CF is not free. Bunny has latency based and Geo based routing. And the most important part for us was to provide vanity domains for our customers, Cloudflare has a offering called cloud flare for saas where you can provision SSL for custom hostname, but this never worked for us due to our deployment architecture and we dont want to change it. Bunny DNS allowed us to provision unlimited customer hostnames and issue SSL all through their API without any manual intervention. This saves us lot of manual efforts and complexities.

Another reason was the support. Support doesn't exist for free tier in CF, even if you pay for their addons with free tier, you don't get their staff support. When you work on a critical project how can you depend on community and forums? In bunny, you get a reply in less than 15 minutes, that's standard for all users.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2022

@sreekanth850 said:

@sreekanth850 said:
    We decided to go with Bunny dns from cloud flare. Reason is CF don't allow you to cname your domain if its in their zone. Second is load balancing in CF is not free. Bunny has latency based and Geo based routing. And the most important part for us was to provide vanity domains for our customers, Cloudflare has a offering called cloud flare for saas where you can provision SSL for custom hostname, but this never worked for us due to our deployment architecture and we dont want to change it. Bunny DNS allowed us to provision unlimited customer hostnames and issue SSL all through their API without any manual intervention. This saves us lot of manual efforts and complexities.

Another reason was the support. Support doesn't exist for free tier in CF, even if you pay for their addons with free tier, you don't get their staff support. When you work on a critical project how can you depend on community and forums? In bunny, you get a reply in less than 15 minutes, that's standard for all users.

I mean, if you pay for Cloudflare Pro, I believe you get far better support. I opened a ticket a few hours back and I got a response within 30 minutes (with the Pro plan).

Bunny.net is technically also a paid product, but it really depends on your use case to justify whether or not Cloudflare Pro or Bunny.net is better :smiley:

• Do they support usage as secondary DNS (ie I run my own DNS server, and they replicate the records)? I'm currently using DNSMadeEasy and their response times are amazing, but they're relatively expensive.

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • @Daniel15 said:
    Do they support usage as secondary DNS (ie I run my own DNS server, and they replicate the records)? I'm currently using DNSMadeEasy and their response times are amazing, but they're relatively expensive.

No, they don't have features like secondary DNS. NS1 and cloudns have that service, but you need to upgrade your plan in order to use it as secondary DNS.

• @pkr said:

@m4nu said:

Yes, you are right. I asked Bunny and they confirmed that I need to pay $1 per month if I have an account with them.

I've been using Bunny DNS since the start of August for a few domains and have never been charged the $1 per month. Its the only service I use with them and dont have any of the CDN stuff turned on so perhaps that's why. I did have to top up my account with $5 before it would let me add domains though. I just used a coupon I found on the web to do that so it didn't actually cost me anything.

• @Advin said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@sreekanth850 said:

I mean, if you pay for Cloudflare Pro, I believe you get far better support. I opened a ticket a few hours back and I got a response within 30 minutes (with the Pro plan).

Bunny.net is technically also a paid product, but it really depends on your use case to justify whether or not Cloudflare Pro or Bunny.net is better :smiley:

I Agree that Cloudflare is far superior in terms of maturity of platform and its community. But being big has its own pros and cons. I also agree that Cloudflare Pro have support. But even than, i need to pay extra for load balancer /location and it will get costly if add more location. Bunny is pay as you go and its dirty cheap. Literally its like free when you are in pre production stage. That's where developers may need support. Also I don't know if cloudflare provide round the clock support including Sunday, but Bunny does. Also their response time never went beyond 15 Minutes.

Our biggest issue was CF will not allow CNAME for users who are in CF (Means If our application is hosted with CF an our customers are also using CF, they cannot CNAME their domain to ours, for this we need to use their Cloudflare for SaaS. That's the primary reason we decided to go with Bunny.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • I was going to switch to Bunny DNS as my ClouDNS expires tomorrow, but ended up renewing ClouDNS.

I found it a bit odd how Bunny only starts serving records after you make changes to your authoritative DNS (when querying the Bunny NS servers directly). This made me concerned about resolution failures when swapping over, if there is a delay between end users seeing a new NS and Bunny's detection that its the authoritative DNS. Additionally, Bunny wasn't serving requests if it was alongside other NS servers.

~$ dig ns ****.place @v0n1.nic.place.

; <<>> DiG 9.16.1-Ubuntu <<>> ns ****.place @v0n1.nic.place.
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 51991
    ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 1
    ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;****.place.                     IN      NS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    ****.place.              3600    IN      NS      kiki.bunny.net.
    ****.place.              3600    IN      NS      pns102.cloudns.net.
    ****.place.              3600    IN      NS      pns101.cloudns.net.
    ****.place.              3600    IN      NS      coco.bunny.net.

~$ dig ns ****.place @kiki.bunny.net.

; <<>> DiG 9.16.1-Ubuntu <<>> ns ****.place @kiki.bunny.net.
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 11256
    ;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;****.place.                     IN      NS

;; Query time: 10 msec
    ;; SERVER: 157.53.226.1#53(157.53.226.1)
    ;; WHEN: Thu Dec 29 14:34:13 PST 2022
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 38

I don't think its a propagation issue as I've let these changes sit for >12 hours, but it is possible. I added another domain at the same time and made Bunny the only authoritative DNS and its working as expected.

Has anyone ran into this? or am I being dumb

PS: ANY query on Bunny DNS doesn't work as expected, but still returns NOERROR (unlike Cloudflare's NOTIMP). Another reason I'll probably stick with ClouDNS, I like the ANY query.

Thanked by 1greentea