Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seperate server for IP Security Cameras?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seperate server for IP Security Cameras?

Does anyone have insight into servers for cameras? Should I get a separate server? Are some servers better equipped for streaming + recording? I have 10 wyze cameras.

Comments

• Typically you'd have a dedicated appliance (nvr) for cameras rather than a generic server.

• Does Wyze allow network shares and other file locations? I believe they only allowed their own cloud solution "Cam Plus" where you pay per camera / month. I saw some forum requests about SMB shares and there were some alternative firmwares but those contributions are from 2018.

• I don't know how to get Wyze into an NVR system. I also just hired a developer to get all the cameras into a temp server, so I'd rather not start over

• @LeftR said:
    Does Wyze allow network shares and other file locations? I believe they only allowed their own cloud solution "Cam Plus" where you pay per camera / month. I saw some forum requests about SMB shares and there were some alternative firmwares but those contributions are from 2018.

Wyze's solutions don't have the features we need; the firmware nor their cloud subscription. We had to use a some Wyze github repos to find a workaround.

• I don't know about the Wyze cameras, as I've used other brands, but I can highly recommend using Blue Iris to monitor them. It doesn't depend on the features of the cameras, as the software does all of the motion detection, scheduling, recording, and other tasks you'd need. You just need to get a stable video feed from each camera. I've been using it for years.

As for a dedicated system, that's a definite yes. Running live motion detection on 10+ cameras can be CPU intensive, so you don't want other processes competing with it. Having said that, Blue Iris is pretty efficient, so you don't need to splash out on the latest and greatest CPU. Just about any recent consumer CPU will give you all the horsepower you need.

Your retention needs will determine how much storage you'll need, so it's difficult to make a recommendation there. You may also want to look into RAID or offsite mirroring depending on how critical this monitoring us.

• jperkinsjperkins Member
    edited November 2022

Zoneminder with 8 hd cams in a vm. Motion detect on low def stream which triggers Nodect on hd stream. Maybe 8 old xeon threads and 30GB ram.
    3tb disk image keeps a month of low def complete streams and a good amount of hd motion detect clips.

The ai is where it falls short for me. Wind , partly sunny days, shadows, birds and bugs, headlights on road. Etc. messes with motion detect. They have some ai add ons but i never set them up.

Cant speak on your cams. Zoneminder is sorta crusty but once its working ...

I got chinese govt subsidized low cost cams and dont let them phone home

• @aj_potc said:
    I don't know about the Wyze cameras, as I've used other brands, but I can highly recommend using Blue Iris to monitor them. It doesn't depend on the features of the cameras, as the software does all of the motion detection, scheduling, recording, and other tasks you'd need. You just need to get a stable video feed from each camera. I've been using it for years.

As for a dedicated system, that's a definite yes. Running live motion detection on 10+ cameras can be CPU intensive, so you don't want other processes competing with it. Having said that, Blue Iris is pretty efficient, so you don't need to splash out on the latest and greatest CPU. Just about any recent consumer CPU will give you all the horsepower you need.

Your retention needs will determine how much storage you'll need, so it's difficult to make a recommendation there. You may also want to look into RAID or offsite mirroring depending on how critical this monitoring us.

You're so awesome! Thanks for the confirmation; I was planning on using Blue Iris. Wyze removed RTSP, which is why it wasn't so straightforward.. Thanks again!