Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does having Server time differ from local time cause issues?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does having Server time differ from local time cause issues?

Pretty much question in the title.

If I have a VPS in the US & set the time of the server to my local time in Australia, will it break things? Or does UTC account for that?

Comments

• UTC is the same everywhere. You might get confused if the server's timezone is wrong for you (although I just leave mine however it gets installed by default, depending on provider's template, except for the couple of machines I actually use for interactive things).

If you have the wrong timezone, you can change it in /etc/timezone.

Thanked by 1beanman109
  • @ralf said: UTC is the same everywhere.

That's sort of what I assumed - with it being universal and all.
    I just know from experience system time drift can cause all sorts of issue but I guess that's more related to the UNIX timestamp being the same.

• @beanman109 said:

@ralf said: UTC is the same everywhere.

That's sort of what I assumed - with it being universal and all.
    I just know from experience system time drift can cause all sorts of issue but I guess that's more related to the UNIX timestamp being the same.

Yeah, time drift is important. If you're doing things across multiple servers where timestamps are important, make sure you run ntpd. But otherwise localtime is generally just used for presentation. Internally, it's all seconds from 1/1/1970 0:0:0 UTC and converted from that to something else to show to users.

Thanked by 2beanman109 emg
  • It's mostly cosmetic and more important for time correlation. I setup a Cyberpower VM to send notifications for UPS issues. It requires timezone file to be manually copied as requirement. However, the timestamps used in Notifications is UTC (and doesn't even say UTC) and fucking useless and means I need to check the email timestamp instead.