Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Payment gateways for people in Russia?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Payment gateways for people in Russia?

Hi everyone,

I have customers in Russia, and right now they can't pay their invoices.
We've tested Stripe and Paypal, both not working for people in Russia.

Crypto is not an option, since we don't use crypto currencies.

Anyone knows any payment gateways that work for people in Russia?

Thanks.

Comments

• Alipay....Wechat, all chinese payment method is valid for russian, you could test it.
    rub -> rmb -> $ or Euro

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • Find some Chinese and India payment tools.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • hostnamastehostnamaste Member, Patron Provider

@comXyz said:
    Hi everyone,

Crypto is not an option, since we don't use crypto currencies.

Thanks.

You can try "payssion".

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Why don't you support crypto? We process payments in house via IncogPay (BTCPayServer) and pay the bulk of our operating costs in crypto, too. Many people accept it.

It's not as difficult to implement as you may imagine and it's apolitical.

Thanked by 2hostiko comXyz
  • @MannDude said: Why don't you support crypto?

The main reason is the customers (education firms) don't use crypto.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@istek999 said: Alipay....Wechat, all chinese payment method is valid for russian

That sounds like speaking from theory, it's not something commonly witnessed in real-life. China-mainland payment methods only work for people within China; and global branches of those will not work just like the others.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its a bit late, stuff has been sanctioned months ago.
    Add a crypto gateway and you be fine, otherwise you likely out of luck.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • @comXyz said:

I don't want to bring politics into this thread, as there's another one for that purpose, but this feels like an appropriate place to point out that this is exactly what the sanctions are supposed to achieve.

The point of the sanctions is to make ordinary Russians take notice of what's going on, and to see that supporting the war has consequences for them as well as the people in Ukraine.

Have you checked if it's actually legal to violate the sanctions in your country? While it's unlikely the government will go after small hosting companies, potentially there could be severe penalties for knowingly violating the sanctions depending on what country you're based in.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@comXyz said: Anyone knows any payment gateways that work for people in Russia?

So a good way to search for those would be to look for a way to accept MIR cards. I found a list like this: https://www.about-payments.com/knowledge-base/method/mir-local-card-payment-method-russia
    But it could be the list is long-outdated and most or all of those no longer work with MIR. You could contact some of them to find out.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • @rm_ said:

@comXyz said: Anyone knows any payment gateways that work for people in Russia?

So a good way to search for those would be to look for a way to accept MIR cards. I found a list like this: https://www.about-payments.com/knowledge-base/method/mir-local-card-payment-method-russia
    But it could be the list is long-outdated and most or all of those no longer work with MIR. You could contact some of them to find out.

Depending on OP's residence, this might be illegal because of the sanctions or because he will be transferring personal data to Russia.

Since Russia most likely will keep this conflict going for a long time, it would be better to cancel the subscriptions and take the loss now, instead of letting them build a debt they perhaps will pay in X years from now.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • @kasodk said:
    Depending on OP's residence, this might be illegal because ... he will be transferring personal data to Russia.

To be fair, if it's to enable Russian citizens to pay for the services, the GDPR wouldn't apply to that data.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • Cypix, tome.ru

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • QIWI very user friendly, don't know if it will work for you or not.
    or
    crypto

All my cards do not go through for payment from Russia, bank wire transfer is a very large commission and many banks have refused this payment method.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

You can try payssion payment gateway, they have Qiwi.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

If TS offer hosting services, they are not subject to any sanctions.

To accept card payments from Russia, you can use processing agents such as QIWI.

But then you will need to find exchangers, for example, from QIWI to PayPal. But it's not really a problem.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • Actually I think the best payment method you can implement for russian citizens is crypto currencies. Any other payment method might work for some months but probably will stop working as the war doesn't seem to end anytime soon.

Also because of instability in crypto prices you should always create a transaction fee like 10% or such for crypto payments. It is good to hear that you are looking for a way to keep you russian customers because many providers decided to drop them.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • Last month I successfully ordered a Russian server using my visa CC, through a russian payment gateway. Obviously there are payment gates that deal with cc outside of russia, maybe you’ll be able to find one.

• interservermikeinterservermike Member, Patron Provider

Payssion does not have the RU gateways anymore. The only India option is "bank transfer" the most popular UPI option is not available anymore.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • comXyzcomXyz Member
    edited October 2022

@ralf said: Have you checked if it's actually legal to violate the sanctions in your country?

Thanks everyone.

We do have a lawyer help checking it, and we don't see anything violate the sanctions for now.

I will try to implement QIWI first to see if it works.

Crypto is not an option for this service, all of customers don't use crypto, or not willing to use crypto. Few of them said it will affect their tax report.

How do you deal with tax report @MannDude ?