Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode Exits the Low-End Market - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode Exits the Low-End Market

124»

Comments

• nessanessa Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2022

I think customers would be pissed to know such a code exists and didn't hear about it when getting the bad news. Totally softens the blow.

This code has existed since 2019 and has been posted many times before as far as I'm aware.

Wondering if the same sentiment applies when providers post exclusive offers here?

• fleiofleio Member
    edited October 2022

@jar
    Your comments I feel are valid. Spam has been a problem in the cloud platform for some time, and we feel we have a competent plan to address it at this point. Mainly, we have customers that sign up, pass all the fraud checks, then spawn a ton of instances and immediately start spamming. By the time we find them the damage is done. We are implementing additional monitoring on our IP space soon that will help us get ahead of this problem. I'm more than open to suggestions on how other providers in this space are dealing with this, but it's definitely on our radar.

One element could be to set OpenStack quota to 2-3 compute instances for new customers and raise it on request based on customer history.

• jazeejazee Member
    edited October 2022

Been on Ramnode what, 6 years I think at least. Pretty good size VDS (8GB+2 Dedicated CPUS and 200GB storage) The service was rock solid in performance, reliability, and support was phenomenal - super fast responses and pseudo-managed hosting level of support. About 5 days ago their DDOS Protection Service (CNSERVERS) started having router issues which to most clients running a simple website, they probably didn't notice. But for some of our apps with complex web pages, the site became almost unusable. Had to go back and forth and back and forth with support showing waterfall reports showing like a 2kb PNG file sometimes taking 5 seconds to load. Migrated to a dedicated IP without DDOS and problem solved, at first, but then all the other sites still on the primary shared IP with CNSERVERS DDOS started bringing Apache to a crawl with all the timeouts affecting all sites on the server. This wasn't Ramnode's fault really. They explained with their other data centers like LA they use Psychz for DDOS protection and have a more direct line of communication. But the support seemed to be in dismay in believing there was a major issue at CNSERVERS. So the response was still good but not sure about competency as it seem to take too much evidence to convince them and they finally said CNSERVERS was expected to fix the problem "in a week!" Could have just been bad luck on this one as I've not had anything close to this nightmarish recent experience with them ever.

Anyhoo, I need to do a big upgrade next year to go from Centos 7 to AlmaLinux 8 and PHP 7.4 to PHP 8.x. The server has years worth of tweaking and some complex apps running so it won't be a fun/easy/quick migration. But if I'm going to switch VPS providers then will be the time to do it. I was formerly on Vultr and tried a few other major semi-low cost VPS providers but testing showed Ramnode IOPS to be far superior for the server size/price. And the great uptime and super fast support was just icing on the cake.

My initial sleuthing even though I'm probably 6 months out on the migration to a new O/S is turning up lots of good reports about Servercheap.com. Only downside is one data center choice: Dallas. I'd prefer West Coast.

I'll probably spin up a test VPS on Ramnode's Cloud Service (I'm still on Solus VDS) and compare test VPS on Servercheap and maybe BuyVM and compare performance. But the support (even though you should have to rarely use them) is what's key (for me.) I can self-manage 96% of the time but having fast response in the rare circumstances when you're in a bind and a sanity check on the config and log info is a lifesaver (but this is primarily probably because I buy my Cpanel license through them.) I'd rather pay $50/month than $35/month to get the best customer support for the best value.

So other than the CNSERVERS DDOS fiasco at Seattle Data Center, the support and performance still seems to be 'Ramnode' level (on my VDS at least) and not degraded since the Inmotion takeover, who I tried 4 years ago by comparison and thought it was not as good as Ramnode (but that was a different host all together.) It will eventually all just be branding with eventual backend and support consolidation to save costs.

One would expect Inmotion is going to try to squeeze more profit out of the Ramnode brand hence they are already doing it with the increase in IP address prices. What a shame. But nothing lasts forever.

• sad to hear :(

• nessanessa Member, Patron Provider

There are zero plans for any sort of consolidation. Ramnode runs completely independently and there have not been any discussions about changing that. I believe I also previously made it clear on why we decided to raise prices, and for DDoS IPs we did not think it was unreasonable to charge for DDoS protection as part of the IP cost considering that we pay a lot of DDoS filtering services.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're having an issue with CNServers at the moment, we are doing our best to work with them while they get it fixed. It recently came down to hardware that needs to be replaced, so that's what we are waiting on.