Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode Exits the Low-End Market
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode Exits the Low-End Market

Well, it looks like RamNode has decided to completely exit the low-end market, with the below notice that went out to customers.. With this kind of pricing, I would much rather use and trust Vultr or DO tbh...

"Hello,

Like many businesses, over the last year we have seen increasing operational costs, and in order to maintain the level of service we are committed to provide, it has become necessary to modestly increase the pricing for some of our products. We did not come to this decision lightly; however, in order for us to continue investing in our infrastructure to make necessary improvements to service reliability, and implement new features for our cloud platform, these increases are necessary. Starting October 1, 2022, the pricing for IP addresses will be increased to $5/mo.

We appreciate your understanding while we continue to invest in our products and services to provide the most reliable, low-cost VPS solutions available.

Regards,

RamNode"

It feels like the shareholders at Inmotion Hosting are now trying to make up for acquisition cost, at the expense of its customers. It's a shame, since I didn't see this coming (they didn't change anything for a while since getting bought).

Comments

• You are not understanding the fact that bare minimum price for service has doubled. If it was ok to have server for 2.50€/mo. now it is 5€/mo. Bellow 5? Unsustainable, manned by one man, non-existant support, downtimes, eventual exit scam.

Sit and repeat your-self: energy crysis, war, economy fck up, covid. Repeat it as long as you can. This will help you mitigate insanity withprice increase.

• Damn, how can we continue our life right now? [sarcasm] That was such an important provider in the entire ecosystem, we all relied on it. [/sarcasm]
    $5/mo just per a single IPv4? Well good luck RamNode, make it $10 you will be left with "very valuable" customers only, guaranteed.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • Who is RamNode.

Thanked by 2ralf Alireza
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2022

Spam infested network owned by incompetent amateurs anyway. Nick is gone, GoDaddy would be a better choice than InMotion.

Anyone who rejects notice and proof that their network is being demolished by one spammer rotating through self service IP address creation, based on an arbitrary internal policy that isn't published, is trash. "Didn't email the right address" they said at the ARIN listed abuse contact, unable to figure out how to forward email over one cubicle. That finally settled my opinion of InMotion, and I was pretty late to that party.

Thanked by 3netomx adly sebkehl
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited September 2022

And I just cancelled my yearly Ramnode VPS few weeks ago because of ancient package with 256MB RAM don't justify the price I pay.

The same I did with my beloved XenVZ, securedragon and weservit. Damn stable hosts I was hosted with for more than 10 years however those once cheap 128MB - 512MB RAM packages look so outdated today from a resources vs price point of view.

For the same money (or even a bit less as Ramnode for some reason pocket also EU VAT) I get today greencloudvps with 2048MB RAM and similar.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@jar said:
    Spam infested network owned by incompetent amateurs anyway. Nick is gone, GoDaddy would be a better choice than InMotion.

Didn't realize it's been almost 2 years since Nick sold it. Maybe I'll cancel the little server I've had forever and move it to Lightsail.

• New ownership need to recover the purchase price and then some.. from the Ramnode purchase!

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • Ramnode used to be my favorite but now it is horrible. I had bought a bunch of account credit during some bonus offers back when Nick owned it. After it was purchased by the new company, the performance declined substantially (but I was still forced to use it because I had lots of credit left :'( )

Thanked by 2HalfEatenPie Chuck
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Stonks said: Starting October 1, 2022, the pricing for IP addresses will be increased to $5/mo.

GTFO.

@jar said: Spam infested network owned by incompetent amateurs anyway.

It's a shame. I don't blame @Nick_A for cashing out, but it's still a shame because they were a fantastic provider back in the day.

@JoeMerit said: Ramnode used to be my favorite but now it is horrible. I had bought a bunch of account credit during some bonus offers back when Nick owned it. After it was purchased by the new company, the performance declined substantially (but I was still forced to use it because I had lots of credit left )

Curious about the substantially - oversold? bad network?

Thanked by 1jar
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:

It seems fine to me for the tiny server I have had in Atlanta I think. Network is as stable as always.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited September 2022

@lirrr said:
    Who is RamNode.

One of the best if not the best provider on LET for years in 2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016.

I forgot to say how many times they did offer 10 years ago damn powerful offers and extremely fast servers that > 90% providers with modern hardware here on LET can't offer
    properly today which make me feel sick. If you remember performance in 2012, and now in 2022 you see a bullshit crap with the half of that performance that RamNode offered 10 years ago (LOL), such cases force me to cry.

A lot of users compared their purchased VPS here on LET with VPS from ramnode in terms of performance.

But after a time they moved away from LET, less offers, more focused on their own things, and then some motherfucker comes here and say: "who the fuck is that?". Seriously? Such people living legends son. They and providers like they're (Prometeus, IwStack, iPerWeb) has changed the whole LowEnd market before any digitalocean bullshit crap.

@MikeA said: Didn't realize it's been almost 2 years since Nick sold it.

Actually less than 18 months. Announced March 2021:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/inmotion-hosting-announces-the-acquisition-of-ramnode-301241884.html

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • @desperand said:

@lirrr said:
    Who is RamNode.

One of the best if not the best provider on LET for years in 2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016.

I forgot to say how many times they did offer 10 years ago damn powerful offers and extremely fast servers that > 90% providers with modern hardware here on LET can't offer
    properly today which make me feel sick. If you remember performance in 2012, and now in 2022 you see a bullshit crap with the half of that performance that RamNode offered 10 years ago (LOL), such cases force me to cry.

A lot of users compared their purchased VPS here on LET with VPS from ramnode in terms of performance.

But after a time they moved away from LET, less offers, more focused on their own things, and then some motherfucker comes here and say: "who the fuck is that?". Seriously? Such people living legends son. They and providers like they're (Prometeus, IwStack, iPerWeb) has changed the whole LowEnd market before any digitalocean bullshit crap.

Who is that again?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

What I liked the most about RamNode when Nick was el capitan was their Support, especially their TTO 💯

They were fast!

• @desperand said: But after a time they moved away from LET, less offers, more focused on their own things, and then some motherfucker comes here and say: "who the fuck is that?". Seriously? Such people living legends son. They and providers like they're (Prometeus, IwStack, iPerWeb) has changed the whole LowEnd market before any digitalocean bullshit crap.

There's been a fair amount of providers who moved away from LEB/LET for various reasons. Some got extremely targetted by DDoS because of LET (someone on LET started DDoSing providers), others didn't like the abusive and demanding (but low-paying) clients LET can generate, and some just didn't want to deal with the drama and the hassle LET brings in.

But that's the thing with the low-end market sector. It's easy to get into so if you leave, someone else can easily swoop in and take your spot.

• @henix said: Who is that again?

Thanked by 1ralf
  • @HalfEatenPie said: There's been a fair amount of providers who moved away from LEB/LET for various reasons. Some got extremely targetted by DDoS because of LET (someone on LET started DDoSing providers), others didn't like the abusive and demanding (but low-paying) clients LET can generate, and some just didn't want to deal with the drama and the hassle LET brings in.

But that's the thing with the low-end market sector. It's easy to get into so if you leave, someone else can easily swoop in and take your spot.

Yea, i know all of that. I just kidding here. RamNode damn good provider in past, i don't know how they're now. And your points absolutely correct and I'm agree with your opinion.

LET like a mafia. When you in - you can out only when dead.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • What are some alternatives to RamNode in terms of pricing? Any Openstack hosters?

• @jar said:

Anyone who rejects notice and proof that their network is being demolished by one spammer rotating through self service IP address creation, based on an arbitrary internal policy that isn't published, is trash. "Didn't email the right address" they said at the ARIN listed abuse contact, unable to figure out how to forward email over one cubicle. That finally settled my opinion of InMotion, and I was pretty late to that party.

Quite a shame to read this, one of our production systems have been running nicely on RamNode since 2021 and we've had 99.75% uptime according to Hetrix.

Think it's time to migrate the system before we face the effects of your claims.

Thank you Jar!

Thanked by 1jar

@HalfEatenPie said: There's been a fair amount of providers who moved away from LEB/LET for various reasons.

When many LowEnd hosts started, there was no DigitalOcean or Vultr. Your choice was $20 from some big company or $5 or less from a low-end so the market was a natural. Now you can get $5 VMs everywhere. It's harder to compete today.

Now on LEB: https://lowendbox.com/blog/ramnode-exits-the-lowend-market-with-an-obscene-gesture/

• @cheekydozen said:
    What are some alternatives to RamNode in terms of pricing? Any Openstack hosters?

BuyVM is a good alternative. Used them for years, found them better than DigitalOcean personally. Moved a few VPS's that were running for years on DO, and their new home couldn't be better.

• @MrLime said: and their new home couldn't be better.

huh. Looks like you did not tried LunaNode or ExtraVM

Thanked by 1MrLime
  • jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited September 2022

@MrLime said:

@jar said:

Quite a shame to read this, one of our production systems have been running nicely on RamNode since 2021 and we've had 99.75% uptime according to Hetrix.

Think it's time to migrate the system before we face the effects of your claims.

Thank you Jar!

@jar tends to exaggerate somewhat dishonestly http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php?asn=3842

They do get hit by snowshoe spammer(s) but that happens to every host which allows you to create/destroy instances on demand. They clearly deal with it quickly, and certainly much quicker than jarland’s former employer.

Thanked by 2MrLime bulbasaur
  • @jiggawattz said:

@MrLime said:

@jar said:

Thank you Jar!

@jar tends to exaggerate somewhat dishonestly http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php?asn=3842

They do get hit by snowshoe spammer(s) but that happens to every host which allows you to create/destroy instances on demand. They clearly deal with it quickly, and certainly much quicker than jarland’s former employer.

@jar - What's your thoughts on this?

Thanked by 1jar
  • @MrLime said:

@cheekydozen said:
    What are some alternatives to RamNode in terms of pricing? Any Openstack hosters?

BuyVM is a good alternative. Used them for years, found them better than DigitalOcean personally. Moved a few VPS's that were running for years on DO, and their new home couldn't be better.

BuyVM is indeed good, but only if single-homed Cogent and spam/abuse is acceptable http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php?asn=53667

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited September 2022

@HalfEatenPie said: There's been a fair amount of providers who moved away from LEB/LET for various reasons. Some got extremely targetted by DDoS because of LET (someone on LET started DDoSing providers), others didn't like the abusive and demanding (but low-paying) clients LET can generate, and some just didn't want to deal with the drama and the hassle LET brings in.

With listening negative reasons why the moved away you forgot some other a bit different reasons why many moved away. Their ambitions simply overgrew this community and they didn't need LEB/LET anymore.

Many, really many of those hosts just used LEB/LET as a starting point. Many of them were nothing or didn't even exist before LEB/LET appearance.
    Once they grew enough they simply decided that it's not worth to bother with this clientele anymore (who would blame them...) and moved away to bigger ventures, bigger clientele, and so on.
    Some hosts were almost residental LEB/LET hosts. And then at some point... they didn't need us anymore. Ramnode is perfect example of this. We were Nick's first clients. We spreaded word about them. Without or before this community Ramnode didn't even exist.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:

@HalfEatenPie said: There's been a fair amount of providers who moved away from LEB/LET for various reasons.

When many LowEnd hosts started, there was no DigitalOcean or Vultr. Your choice was $20 from some big company or $5 or less from a low-end so the market was a natural. Now you can get $5 VMs everywhere. It's harder to compete today.

Now on LEB: https://lowendbox.com/blog/ramnode-exits-the-lowend-market-with-an-obscene-gesture/

Awesome article! :)

@Mumbly said:

@HalfEatenPie said: There's been a fair amount of providers who moved away from LEB/LET for various reasons. Some got extremely targetted by DDoS because of LET (someone on LET started DDoSing providers), others didn't like the abusive and demanding (but low-paying) clients LET can generate, and some just didn't want to deal with the drama and the hassle LET brings in.

With listening negative reasons why the moved away you forgot some other a bit different reasons why many moved away. Their ambitions simply overgrew this community and they didn't need LEB/LET anymore.

Many, really many of those hosts just used LEB/LET as a starting point. Many of them were nothing or didn't even exist before LEB/LET appearance.
    Once they grew enough they simply decided that it's not worth to bother with this clientele anymore (who would blame them...) and moved away to bigger ventures, bigger clientele, and so on.
    Some hosts were almost residental LEB/LET hosts. And then at some point... they didn't need us anymore. Ramnode is perfect example of this. We were Nick's first clients. We spreaded word about them. Without or before this community Ramnode didn't even exist.

That can happen, and we are having an internal debate how to proceed forward with all the inflation etc right now.

Sadly, resource control of seedboxes is much much harder than VMs, and it's already been difficult to cater to the sub-10€ crowd than a decade before ... Oh well, we shall see what's in the future. Balancing dev time between software and hardware operating your own DC, keeping up with the constant hardware upgrades and such ... It is a bit daunting for small business, on a tiny niche like ours.

Really liked ramnode. for random tiny tasks we've had a few VMs from them ourselves, despite having our own DC, HW, VM nodes etc. it just have made sense to distribute some load to 3rd parties

edited September 2022

@jiggawattz said:

@MrLime said:

@jar said:

Thank you Jar!

I sent them logs of spammers rotating through IPs and they rejected them because the ARIN listed abuse contact wasn't the one they wanted to receive them at. Rejecting abuse complaints because you don't know how to forward email to a colleague is amateur hour, familiar territory for you no doubt. Here's my public facing notes from that day: https://photos.app.goo.gl/T185dG6E9W7XT6sP8

If you ignore abuse complaints while your network is being demolished by spammers, that's the end of the story and all anyone needs to know about you.

Next time I want to know how to make french fries I'll ask for your opinion but I don't think I have anything to learn from you on the subject of spam.

edited September 2022

@MrLime said:

@jiggawattz said:

@MrLime said:

@jar said:

Thank you Jar!

@jar - What's your thoughts on this?

He has a lot of words to say but not much substance to give. I gave some quick insight into the event that shaped my opinion here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/T185dG6E9W7XT6sP8

The logs contained recipient addresses so I wouldn't post those without filtering them first, but there's no need. I saw the data, he didn't. Easy guess as to which one holds more water.

Since their cloud range seems to rotate through far too many different ranges, ignoring abuse of self provisioned servers means that a huge problem is either present or always about to be. It means an ASN-wide block is reasonable, and that means that I'm exaggerating precisely nothing.

DO and OVH have the same problems, and I only recently delisted DO for specifically requesting logs from me and taking action. OVH is whitelist only right now just like Ramnode, despite OVH being my second largest vendor right now. No one gets free passes. But InMotion gets a big red check mark for actively disregarding a complaint sent to the valid address they listed at ARIN for ranges actively in use by Ramnode cloud, thems the facts.

• @raindog308 said: @JoeMerit said: Ramnode used to be my favorite but now it is horrible. I had bought a bunch of account credit during some bonus offers back when Nick owned it. After it was purchased by the new company, the performance declined substantially (but I was still forced to use it because I had lots of credit left )

CPU performance became horrible, disk performance declined to that of HDD level. This was a 1GB SSD KVM in NYC. It was stable and the network was okay, it just was not performing to the level of a $5/mth vps anymore. I had spun up some new servers to see if I had caught a bad node or something and it was the same on anything I spun up in NYC. When my credit ran out I switched my 'primary' vps to a 1GB KVM at ExtraVM and its been a massive improvement.