Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my VPS keeps going offline
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

my VPS keeps going offline

i have a VPS from AlphaVPS, i am using Plesk with some manual configuration like MariaDB replication and files replication to my secondary VPS,
but the VPS keeps going offline without doing anything from my side,
AlphaVPS told me that there is nothing wrong from their side,
how can i check if there is anything wrong and causes my VPS to go offline?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

OOM killer at it again.
    Upgrade your VPS to have more RAM.

• @yoursunny said:
    OOM killer at it again.

it has 24GB ram with 4 vCPU
    i dont think thats the problem

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

@abu3beid said:
    i have a VPS from AlphaVPS, i am using Plesk with some manual configuration like MariaDB replication and files replication to my secondary VPS,

If the load when you run this application is ok, the problem can be the oversell of your provider (one of possible problems available ahahh)

• @CiprianoOscar said:

@abu3beid said:

If the load when you run this application is ok, the problem can be the oversell of your provider (one of possible problems available ahahh)

they told me they are going to deploy new nodes and will migrate my vps to another node. but until then, i want to make sure that nothing is wrong with my files or configurations.
    and yes, the load is ok

• kasodkkasodk Barred
    edited October 2022

Cron jobs and some updates can use a lot of memory. If they are run during high load and your server runs out of memory, it will crash.
    Or it can be a faulty cron job.
    Your server can also crash if it gets flooded by many requests.
    It can also be a combination of the above.
    Or something as simple as a stack overflow.
    So, test your shit.

@abu3beid said:

@yoursunny said:
    OOM killer at it again.

Or you can guess and blame the provider.

Or you can try to reinstall with original software.
    Pirated software often gives problems.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/181555/i-need-a-cheap-dmca-ignored-good-performance-vps-with-ssd

• @CiprianoOscar said: the problem can be the oversell of your provider (one of possible problems available ahahh)

You can run some other software that will fill up all your RAM to make sure this isnt the case.

Thanked by 1abu3beid
  • What your logs are saying ? You need to check your logs from generic OS logs (syslog, journald, ...) to app specific logs (like mariadb logs) to see what happens seconds before your VPS go offline.

Thanked by 1abu3beid
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Without looking at details it sounds to me your replication of database is the issue. Had similar issue with one of clients project, when the cron did mysql backup - MariaDB was using more resources, optimised it and works perfectly now, so 25GB database is backed up every 3 hours. How big your database?

Thanked by 1abu3beid
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@abu3beid said:

@CiprianoOscar said:

@abu3beid said:

they told me they are going to deploy new nodes and will migrate my vps to another node. but until then, i want to make sure that nothing is wrong with my files or configurations.
    and yes, the load is ok

can you show what they said exactly?
    Because if they say they move you, there should be reason.

My guess memory is oversold and the node is loaded, if you are going get close to your 24GB, you are running out of memory because the node has nothing left.

The only legit reason which comes to my mind if a provider replies with we put you on another node, otherwise why would they? If plenty of memory is available.

• @WebProject said:
    Without looking at details it sounds to me your replication of database is the issue. Had similar issue with one of clients project, when the cron did mysql backup - MariaDB was using more resources, optimised it and works perfectly now, so 25GB database is backed up every 3 hours. How big your database?

my database is around 3GB, so I don't think that's the problem but how can i optimize it?

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

@abu3beid said:

@CiprianoOscar said:

@abu3beid said:

and yes, the load is ok

ok i can told you is the node you are hosted at the moment is full.

Don't worry , if they move you to a new node it is okay. It can happen that a node is an overload for any reason.

I can be more than sure that the node was full though!

Thanked by 1abu3beid
  • @Neoon said:

can you show what they said exactly?
    Because if they say they move you, there should be reason.

My guess memory is oversold and the node is loaded, if you are going get close to your 24GB, you are running out of memory because the node has nothing left.

The only legit reason which comes to my mind if a provider replies with we put you on another node, otherwise why would they? If plenty of memory is available.

they have 2 locations, Germany and Bulgaria, i wanted Bulgaria but it wasn't available when i ordered the vps, so i decided to go with Germany but i asked them to notify me when they deploy new nodes in Bulgaria, that's the main reason of moving the node, i asked for it, and they told me moving the node can fix the issue if the problem was from their side, I hope it will.

• @kasodk said:
    Cron jobs and some updates can use a lot of memory. If they are run during high load and your server runs out of memory, it will crash.
    Or it can be a faulty cron job.
    Your server can also crash if it gets flooded by many requests.
    It can also be a combination of the above.
    Or something as simple as a stack overflow.
    So, test your shit.

@abu3beid said:

@yoursunny said:
    OOM killer at it again.

Or you can guess and blame the provider.

Or you can try to reinstall with original software.
    Pirated software often gives problems.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/181555/i-need-a-cheap-dmca-ignored-good-performance-vps-with-ssd

i am not using any pirated software, everything is legal.
    i will try to check Mariadb logs and server logs.