Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare Rate Limiting just became FREE UNMETERED!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare Rate Limiting just became FREE UNMETERED!

AXYZEAXYZE Member
edited September 2022 in News

Yup, just like their unmetered DDoS protection!

Number of rules included for free on each CF plan
Free: 1
Pro: 2
Business: 5

What is this?
With rate limiting you can limit each IP for X requests per X time for X resource - for example limit registration/form to decrease spam or limit search function in your forum to defend from attack/cpu overload.

What does unmetered mean in this case?
Cloudflare wont bill you for usage on these free unmetered filters. Previously it was $5 per 1mil requests.

Want even more rules for free?
You can bind CF-Connecting-IP as real IP in nginx on your own server and apply rules there!

So why would you even want to use CF Rate Limit if you can have like 100 rules in nginx for free already?
Because it will offload rate limiting to CF, extra requests wont hit your server.

I recommend the best of two worlds - offload most abused functions to CF, add more rarely abused functions to nginx. That way you'll get best free & powerful rate limit which can defend you from many attacks and abusers.

Share your ideas - how you will use rate limiting? :)

Source: https://blog.cloudflare.com/unmetered-ratelimiting/

Comments

• OMG this is huge, the main issue regarding dynamic sites even hidden behind Cloudflare was overloading the server, now I can offload to Cloudflare.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • Thank you Cloudflare.

• Sounds great, except that I don't know how to implement this. If I put it on my web example.com, will the subdomain protected by cf also ?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

This is a nice perk. Glad to see it.

• @AXYZE said: You can bind CF-Connecting-IP as real IP in nginx on your own server and apply rules there!

is there similar way to do in Apache??

• @JasonM said:

@AXYZE said: You can bind CF-Connecting-IP as real IP in nginx on your own server and apply rules there!

is there similar way to do in Apache??

Yup, its possible too :smiley:
    https://brightwhiz.com/real-client-ip-address-cloudflare-apache-php/

Very easy method!

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • This will probably save me $0.50 a month, yay!

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Nice stuff. CF is great <3

• @hampered said:
    This will probably save me $0.50 a month, yay!

Well if you didnt paid yet then it saves you from providing billing/card info to Cloudflare. ;)

I think its a lot more important to people, no chance of unexpected charge etc.

• ^Yes.
    been seriously considering using this for my api but the cost was a major let down , well now can use it and remove the rate limiting from my app as its a headache dealing locally.

for instance , here is the 24 hours stats of my API endpoint.

Thanked by 1crilla
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@FatGrizzly said:

CF is shit, if you don't give them money and want to report issue to their NOC, good luck.
    Combine that with a ISP that doesn't give a fuck about their costumers too, you won the jackpot.

Then every one uses CF, so if the shit is congested with packetloss, its a breeze to find a website not using that garbage.

• @Neoon said:

@FatGrizzly said:

CF is shit, if you don't give them money and want to report issue to their NOC, good luck.
    Combine that with a ISP that doesn't give a fuck about their costumers too, you won the jackpot.

Then every one uses CF, so if the shit is congested with packetloss, its a breeze to find a website not using that garbage.

Last time I contacted them I emailed both the CTO and a product manager and got a reply on the same day (Saturday)

• @luissousa said:
    Last time I contacted them I emailed both the CTO and a product manager and got a reply on the same day (Saturday)

^^^ This guy gets shit done.

Thanked by 1luissousa

@luissousa said:

@Neoon said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Can you DM me his email? Without a VPN CF craps itself multiple times a day, fucking sucks.

• @Neoon said:

@luissousa said:

@Neoon said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Can you DM me his email? Without a VPN CF craps itself multiple times a day, fucking sucks.

Have sent you a few contacts I have

edited October 2022

@luissousa said:

@Neoon said:

@luissousa said:

@Neoon said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Have sent you a few contacts I have

Thanks, as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be a Cloudflare issue.
    I did dig deeper in the past hours, more looks like my ISP is full of shit.

But also, CF is aware and does not really do much.

Thanks anyway, I will still ask though.

Thanked by 1luissousa

Small update here, still no reply from CF, neither twitter, email or forum, sad.

• pikepike Veteran

DSGVO sagt nein.