Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Floating vs Static Public IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Floating vs Static Public IP

masiqbalmasiqbal Member
edited September 2022 in General

Most large providers provide dynamic public IP setup where the IP installed on the server is a private IP. By creating separate routes for public IPs, it becomes more flexible, for example being able to move an IP from one server to another easily.

Meanwhile, there are still many providers that install public IP directly on the server. This method is often easier for providers to setup as well as easier for users to understand.

Which Public IP Setup do You Prefers?
  1. Which Public IP Setup do You Prefers?33 votes
    1. Floating Public IP with Private IP on the Server
      12.12%
    2. Static Public IP on the server
      45.45%
    3. I don' care
      42.42%

Comments

• Which providers provision a dynamic public IP except CDNs like AWS?
    Misleading title and pointless poll, imho.

• I've never had a single server that has an dynamic IP. That's more of an home case scenario isn't it?

• I am sorry, my bad, please kindly ignore the "dynamic" word. It was wrong word for my intension. I can not edit it anymore unfortunately.
    I guess the better words are " floating vs fixed public IP".

• Floating ips are good for server to server communication.
    Static ips are good for public interface for the application.
    Local network ips are good in grid computing at same virtual location.

• jtkjtk Member
    edited October 2022

@serv_ee said:
    I've never had a single server that has an dynamic IP. That's more of an home case scenario isn't it?

I've had a few providers do this. It is less common, but not unusual in my experience.

Presumably they do so, because they manage their address in some sort of IPAM/DHCP system. In many cases you can just configure a static address if you don't want run the DHCP client, I recall being told by at least one they don't care if you do this, but you'll have to console in and fix things yourself if a readdressing event occurs. Others don't seem to notice if you do change it.

Many big cloud providers do dynamic addressing (e.g., AWS, Google), but other traditional hosting providers have done this as well (e.g., IONOS, OVH),