Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mobile ssh client
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mobile ssh client

Do you use any mobile ssh client (JuiceSSH, Termius, etc) for accessing your servers on the go? If yes, which one do you use and why do you prefer it over the others?

Comments

• If you're willing to pay, I can't really go wrong with terminus. Plus the developers are always adding new features. Granted some of those features are stuff that's been in other SSH clients for a long time

Thanked by 1chria838373
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@jugganuts said:
    If you're willing to pay, I can't really go wrong with terminus. Plus the developers are always adding new features. Granted some of those features are stuff that's been in other SSH clients for a long time

termius you mean? or terminus is something else?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

SecureCRT

• @FatGrizzly said:

@jugganuts said:
    If you're willing to pay, I can't really go wrong with terminus. Plus the developers are always adding new features. Granted some of those features are stuff that's been in other SSH clients for a long time

termius you mean? or terminus is something else?

Nope, you are correct. Voice to text fails...

• @Arkas said:
    SecureCRT

Is that on mobile?

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited September 2022

I've been using JuiceSSH Pro since I got a free license many years ago and with it's Mosh integration, snippets, backups, port forwarding and more it does a great job IMO so I never used alternatives (besides Termux which can do SSH but serves different purposes).

Thanked by 1equalz
  • Never use it on my mobile, mostly prefer to carry my laptop.

• ConnectBot. Using for year. Easy interface

Thanked by 2Chuck alanbeta
  • ConnectBot. Also using for years. Sparingly.
    Still feel masochistic everytime I need to do anything apart from call over the phone.

Thanked by 2Chuck alanbeta
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@iKeyZ said: Is that on mobile?

I haven't used it on mobile, but I know they have an iOS version, so it should be on Android as well.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • I use the free version of Juice since it does everything I need and im used to it. I don't really need to SSH via mobile often but it works and has an okay UI.

• I have Termius Pro from GitHub Education.
    Works fine, just as a SSH client should.

• nessanessa Member, Patron Provider

I still use juicessh. If i have room, I carry a tiny BT keyboard with me if i need to do anything more than a few commands.

• I use termux to run a few bits & bobs on my Android devices. Mainly rsync for integrating with my general backup arrangement. Comes with SSH built in, you can even run the server there if you need to call the other way.

Thanked by 2ailice dahartigan
  • Termius works ok for me

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    I use termux to run a few bits & bobs on my Android devices. Mainly rsync for integrating with my general backup arrangement. Comes with SSH built in, you can even run the server there if you need to call the other way.

+1 this. Termux also have scp (sadly dropped soon) which I can drop file from server a to b without open my laptop which sometimes I kinda lazy :D

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

I used some software (I can't remember which one right now) ssh client on an Android smartphone, but I found that in most cases it's useless because it's too difficult to enter commands on a smartphone. Especially with a virtual keyboard.

• edited October 2022

@ailice said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    I use termux to run a few bits & bobs on my Android devices. Mainly rsync for integrating with my general backup arrangement. Comes with SSH built in, you can even run the server there if you need to call the other way.

+1 this. Termux also have scp (sadly dropped soon) which I can drop file from server a to b without open my laptop which sometimes I kinda lazy :D

The SCP protocol is going, but you'll still have the command. Current versions already just use the SFTP instead so if you are up-to-date when the protocol starts to vanish from servers, which won't happen overnight, you'll not notice.

The only issue will be if servers start dropping support when you are for some reason held back on an older set of client tools (legacy embedded system you don't have access/permission to update, etc.).

Though I tend to use rsync more than I use sftp or scp anyway, just out of habit.

Important note that I missed when mentioning termux earlier: install it via f-droid. The version in Play store is no longer updated: https://www.xda-developers.com/termux-terminal-linux-google-play-updates-stopped/

• @rustelekom said:
    I used some software (I can't remember which one right now) ssh client on an Android smartphone, but I found that in most cases it's useless because it's too difficult to enter commands on a smartphone. Especially with a virtual keyboard.

termux helps out a bit there, as do some other clients, but yes it is not overly pleasant. I find it fine for quick commands like kicking off pre-written scripts and other basics, for anything more involved I'll wait until I can conveniently hook up a bluetooth keyboard (or unless it is something that needs to be done for the phone or nothing else is handy with my keys available, just use another machine).

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@rustelekom said:

termux helps out a bit there, as do some other clients, but yes it is not overly pleasant. I find it fine for quick commands like kicking off pre-written scripts and other basics, for anything more involved I'll wait until I can conveniently hook up a bluetooth keyboard (or unless it is something that needs to be done for the phone or nothing else is handy with my keys available, just use another machine).

By the way, using scripts is a good idea. To help smartphone users, it would be very nice if you could use ready-made macros on such an ssh client. But I haven't seen an ssh client that supports macros.

• I use JuiceSSH a few years ago. The dev abandones the buggy app, then suddenly made an update to fix purchasing, but not the bugs. I left the apps since then and Termux have been my only app now.

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

I like Termius because its available on any device I use and automatically has my keys and servers.

• @Otus9051 said:
    I have Termius Pro from GitHub Education.

all you need now is a free vps to ssh in?

• @cold said:

@Otus9051 said:
    I have Termius Pro from GitHub Education.

all you need now is a free vps to ssh in?

i love free vps

• JuiceSSH. It's as good as it'll get on mobile honestly. If blackberry ever makes a come back with physical keyboards it would be a great combo.

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    I use termux to run a few bits & bobs