Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

European "GitHub-like initative" to foster Open Source Projects from EU institutions:code.europe.eu
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

European "GitHub-like initative" to foster Open Source Projects from EU institutions:code.europe.eu

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited October 2022 in General

It seems like this "Github initative" got published almost silently.

https://code.europa.eu/info/about/-/tree/master

This appears to be a European initative to foster open-source projects developed and shared throughout Europe. Seems like a nice idea in the a good direction, albeit right now only European Institutions seem to be able to create projects for now. If first thought it's meant to be a GitHub alternative, but now it seems more like it aims at encouraging Open Source projects from EU Institutions and collaboration among european developers.

Comments

• Are you sure this is not only intended for projects sponsored by the European Commission?

Thanked by 2Ympker afn
  • So instead of giving my data to Europe via Github I'll do that directly now? Cool! /s

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2022

@ralf said:
    Are you sure this is not only intended for projects sponsored by the European Commission?

Yeah, I changed the OP. It seems to be a platform where only EU institutions can create projects (so far).

@serv_ee see my comment above. Seems like it's not "open" for everyone, either. It seems to focus on Open Source projects from EU institutions.

• Open Source! (But only for EU). Not sure they thought that through... (I know, I know, this is just a good idea to get local solutions by local people to benefit the local areas).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @TimboJones said:
    Open Source! (But only for EU). Not sure they thought that through... (I know, I know, this is just a good idea to get local solutions by local people to benefit the local areas).

No, I agree. While I commend the initial idea and while it's a step in the right direction, I wish it was more open.

• emghemgh Member
    edited October 2022

nvm

• Github-like.

Or you know... an installation of Gitlab.

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    Github-like.

Or you know... an installation of Gitlab.

Yeah, it's a Gitlab install. I would have hoped that it would be open to everyone, but seems like only EU institutions so far.

• On code.europa.eu, projects can only be created by software
    development project teams working for European Union
    Institutions. Dear colleagues, get in touch with us if you wish to set
    up a new group/project (see below).

So for most of us it will not work ...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

As soon as all those eu-ropean institutions, universities and whatnot start to actually put their - publicly financed, mind you - code into that thingy I'll begin to be mildly interested. Don't hold your breath though ...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jsg said:
    As soon as all those eu-ropean institutions, universities and whatnot start to actually put their - publicly financed, mind you - code into that thingy I'll begin to be mildly interested. Don't hold your breath though ...

What is the issue with using public funds? It would make sense that public funds be primarily used in open source projects... I think it's actually a requirement for a number of governments after a number of years. Public funding = public benefit. That's just common sense.

• emgemg Veteran

What problem does this European initiative solve?

One advantage I see is that Europeans can point to its successes with local pride. Beyond that, I dunno.

• @emg said:

One advantage I see is that Europeans can point to its successes with local pride. Beyond that, I dunno.

On the OGF, I wrote:

I don't think it's stupid. I think it's about wanting to ensure the EU continues to have access to the open source projects that come out of EU funded initiatives. If all of that just ends up on github, the EU is then relying on a non-EU private company to ensure they can continue to access the things they have funded. It makes sense to have a central EU repository for these projects, even if they are also mirrored on github.

Even if you believe github won't disappear, consider what happens if something files a false copyright complaint against one of these projects, or github decides to close down inactive accounts, or any of a myriad of things that could happen.

Thanked by 2Ympker emg
  • emgemg Veteran

@ralf said:

On the OGF, I wrote:

I don't think it's stupid. I think it's about wanting to ensure the EU continues to have access to the open source projects that come out of EU funded initiatives. If all of that just ends up on github, the EU is then relying on a non-EU private company to ensure they can continue to access the things they have funded. It makes sense to have a central EU repository for these projects, even if they are also mirrored on github.

Even if you believe github won't disappear, consider what happens if something files a false copyright complaint against one of these projects, or github decides to close down inactive accounts, or any of a myriad of things that could happen.

... or any ol' random billionaire could make a surprise public offer to buy Github.

• @ralf said:

@emg said:

On the OGF, I wrote:

Github is owned by Microsoft.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@TimboJones said:

@jsg said:

What is the issue with using public funds? It would make sense that public funds be primarily used in open source projects... I think it's actually a requirement for a number of governments after a number of years. Public funding = public benefit. That's just common sense.

In theory, and btw. by law, yes. Real life often not. I regularly and really often find publicly funded projects/work (typ. with research institutes and unis) which either offer no source access at all or put up "funny" barriers (like e.g. only other unis can get access).