Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use as primary and secondary DNS Servers on your PC/Laptop?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use as primary and secondary DNS Servers on your PC/Laptop?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited September 2022 in General

What DNS servers are you using on your PC/Laptop? I used to use AdGuard/Cloudflare/Google DNS, but have also thought about giving ControlD a try, recently.
I'm sure there's lots of alternatives to choose from, so curious what you are using?

Comments

• I run a local Pi-Hole server for DNS and DHCP, which is running dnscrypt-proxy.

• @Xrmaddness said:
    I run a local Pi-Hole server for DNS and DHCP, which is running dnscrypt-proxy.

I still have a Pi somewhere in a box. Might also give that a try.

Thanked by 1Xrmaddness
  • drizbodrizbo Member
    edited September 2022

Whatever my ISP gives me via dhcp.

• PilzbaumPilzbaum Member
    edited September 2022

At home I do use adguard self hosted (on a pi). Underway (with root) I am using Adaway on my phone. On my tablet I have the public adguard servers in place (as Private-DNS).
    Happy about it, but not privacy focused I'd say.

• I'm using NextDNS that is allocated automatically to my devices using DHCP:
    https://nextdns.io/

Works very well and is basically a cloud-hosted adguard home/pihole.

• @Prime404 said:
    I'm using NextDNS that is allocated automatically to my devices using DHCP:
    https://nextdns.io/

Your router should be giving out it's own IP and doing the forwarding to NextDNS. It shouldn't give the NextDNS servers to each client. At least if you want your home network to work well.

Works very well and is basically a cloud-hosted adguard home/pihole.

I have to pay due to the number of monthly queries, but for single users, the free plan should be good enough. There's also a sweet Chrome extension for extending the capabilities a lot.

Dealing with the hassles every time the Pi-hole broke or SD card corrupted wasn't worth it.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

My laptops use 192.168.5.1 as primary DNS and there's no secondary DNS.
    My home router runs dnsmasq and forwards queries to 1.1.1.1 and 64.6
    There's no filtering involved.

Thanked by 2Ympker devp
  • I am using Dnsmasq installed on VPS as smartdns

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Pi-hole with DNSCrypt to CF

• Simply Cloudflare

• Pi-hole using BlahDNS

• I use Simple DNSCrypt, it has a nice GUI. It auto selects best DNS depending on where I am.

It has these options in configuration so that it filters what type of DNS I want. It lets me assign those options to one adapter or multiple adapters.

I have had it running 24/7 since Simple DNSCrypt came out, I have never had any issues.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • http DNS server to Cloudflare and then cached via workers
    https://developers.cloudflare.com/workers/examples/cache-post-request/

• I use HDNS.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Cloudflare does the job I need just fine.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I use cloudflare and adguard home

• RethinkDNS hosted on my own deno.dev worker
    https://www.rethinkdns.com/

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Arkas said:
    Cloudflare does the job I need just fine.

Flagged for hidden racism!!!(shriek)

The IP of some site is not what its DNS entry says but what we feel to be the IP!!!

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • I've just started using Control D, so far so good and simple to set up.

If your looking at getting it they have an offer on stack social works for $39.99 (which worked out about £47 after tax) 5 year plan which can be upgraded to full control for just $10 per year recurring.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Jamph said:
    I've just started using Control D, so far so good and simple to set up.

If your looking at getting it they have an offer on stack social works for $39.99 (which worked out about £47 after tax) 5 year plan which can be upgraded to full control for just $10 per year recurring.

Can you please link to the source where $10 per year after 5 years is mentioned?

• @daman said:

@Jamph said:

Can you please link to the source where $10 per year after 5 years is mentioned?

When I purchased it on stack social it stated I can upgrade for £10 per year and then will be £10 instead of £40 per year (also shows this inside my Control D account when selecting upgrade).

Looking at Stack Social looks like they have modified the offer to remove that aspect.

Looks like it's a new offer on stack social as noticed its ending in 6 days when I got it a few days ago sure it said 2 days remaining.

• I use ControlD but their Anycast with my ISP is a disaster and keeps changing the resolver location to too distant ones. They also use M247. I’ll probably switch back to NextDNS.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8

• NextDSN.io on all devices like iPhone and PC, router also on all family devices. They do a pretty good job for the money.

Thanked by 1dotcomUNDERGROUND
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2022

@Jamph said:

Good to hear you are enjoying ControlD. That said, for my purposes, their free DNS Servers/Configs should be sufficient: https://controld.com/free-dns/?

You can still use a custom filter, even with their free tier it seems.
    E.g. using DoH: https://freedns.controld.com/no-ads-drugs-gambling-malware-typo-social

@sgheghele said:
    I use ControlD but their Anycast with my ISP is a disaster and keeps changing the resolver location to too distant ones. They also use M247. I’ll probably switch back to NextDNS.

Hmm, that sucks. I'll probably give it a try and see how it goes. I was hoping to have yet another great product/tool of Windscribe at my disposal, but this has me wondering how much of an improvement it'll be, ultimately.

• @Ympker afair you don’t have DTAG like I do. That is what causes me 90% of my problems with peering..it’s almost never the other side

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I've switched from Cloudflare to Quad9.
    Faster & less reliability issues & decentralization of my info (I use CF already for my websites, they have my billing info etc)

• @sgheghele said:
    @Ympker afair you don’t have DTAG like I do. That is what causes me 90% of my problems with peering..it’s almost never the other side

I am with 1&1 DSL but I thought I read somewhere that they are only renting the DSL line from DTAG (just like O2 and Vodafone do), so I'll have to see for myself if it will work flawlessly :P

• zedzed Member

local & remote piholes, that use my own multiple vps as their upstreams.

never quite understood everybody's fascination with giving their query data to bigcorps like google, cloudflare etc.

• I'm using dnscrypt