Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reverse proxy or Cloudflare?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reverse proxy or Cloudflare?

I have a website that shares copyrighted content. Which of the two would be considered safer?

Comments

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited September 2022

Cloudflare nuked my newly created decoy account the day after I DMCA'd myself to see from first hand if the idea that "Cloudflare just forwards the claim to your host" held true.

• edited September 2022

DDoS-Guard is probably better than CloudFlare for DMCA.

@0xbkt said:
    Cloudflare nuked my newly created decoy account the day after I DMCA'd myself to see from first hand if the idea that "Cloudflare just forwards the claim to your host" held true.

Free or were you a paid customer?

Thanked by 1gourmet0001
  • @CyberneticTitan said:

It's free?

• let_rockslet_rocks Member
    edited September 2022

@gourmet0001 said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

It's free?

No they nuked free plan some time ago iirc.
    Seems to start at $100/month now:
    https://ddos-guard.net/en/store/web#compare

Thanked by 1gourmet0001
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited September 2022

@0xbkt said:

Was it a real DMCA or just troll DMCA?
    I know many companies would DMCA but they don't care to verify it.

Thanked by 1gourmet0001
  • @Chuck said:

@0xbkt said:

Was it a real DMCA or just troll DMCA?
    I know many companies would DMCA but they don't care to verify it.

DCMA real.
    It is a site that shares courses.

• @let_rocks said:
    No they nuked free plan some time ago iirc.
    Seems to start at $100/month now:
    https://ddos-guard.net/en/store/web

But note that this is a service made by russians if your data is sensitive

• @dusst said: But note that this is a service made by russians if your data is sensitive

sensitive? He is stealing shit and uploading it online. Copyrighted material.

Cloudflare won't let you host videos for free and they do forward DMCA claims and hand over the IP if asked, it is better than having 0 protection at all, but is not DMCA resilient. DDOS guard no longer offer free, and their cheapest increased from 30 to 100

Reverse proxies are your cheapest option. BuyVM, terrahost, etc
    Or vanwa.tech, chinese, probably 0 shits given about DMCA

Thanked by 1gourmet0001
  • @afn said:

@dusst said: But note that this is a service made by russians if your data is sensitive

sensitive? He is stealing shit and uploading it online. Copyrighted material.

Cloudflare won't let you host videos for free and they do forward DMCA claims and hand over the IP if asked, it is better than having 0 protection at all, but is not DMCA resilient. DDOS guard no longer offer free, and their cheapest increased from 30 to 100

Thank you for the advice. Is there any simple tutorial that allows you to configure the reverse proxy using Litespeed? Internet tutorials are complicated.

• afnafn Member
    edited September 2022

The host /main server can have litespeed/apache, no problem, it remains unchanged.

The only thing that changes is:

DNS settings in your hosting panel -> The proxy DMCA FREE VPS then you configure the proxy VPS to show your backend.

The VPS proxy can (and I recommend you to) use nginx. Setting up nginx reverse proxy is easy and there is 391289038 tutorials and if you can't figure out it we can help in this forum.

For extra piece of mind:

Name servers in domain panel-> Cloudflare, in cloudflare activate proxy-> link domain to DMCA free VPS -> setup vhosts in that DMCA free VPS to main server.

You can also configure litespeed on main server to deny all requests except from the IP of your proxy. Put a 404 or something. That way no one can actually DMCA the real thing.

A condition to make a DMCA claim is to include link to material. Even if they have the main server's host, If they can't show the public link to the material, they can't DMCA it.

And if the VPS receives a DMCA, they will ignore it if you are with DMCA free provider, + The proxy VPS has no content on it, so even they want you to remove, there is nothing to remove.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @afn said:
    The host /main server can have litespeed/apache, no problem, it remains unchanged.

The only thing that changes is:

DNS settings in your hosting panel -> The proxy DMCA FREE VPS then you configure the proxy VPS to show your backend.

The VPS proxy can (and I recommend you to) use nginx. Setting up nginx reverse proxy is easy and there is 391289038 tutorials and if you can't figure out it we can help in this forum.

For extra piece of mind:

Name servers in domain panel-> Cloudflare, in cloudflare activate proxy-> link domain to DMCA free VPS -> setup vhosts in that DMCA free VPS to main server.

You can also configure litespeed on main server to deny all requests except from the IP of your proxy. Put a 404 or something. That way no one can actually DMCA the real thing.

A condition to make a DMCA claim is to include link to material. Even if they have the main server's host, If they can't show the public link to the material, they can't DMCA it.

And if the VPS receives a DMCA, they will ignore it if you are with DMCA free provider, + The proxy VPS has no content on it, so even they want you to remove, there is nothing to remove.

Your comment will help many other members with the same question as mine, regardless of how long this post remains active. Please don't delete it!

• @gourmet0001 said:

Your comment will help many other members with the same question as mine, regardless of how long this post remains active. Please don't delete it!

Same thing i commented yesterday here. There might be more like this

• I know people that host similar content to you, they all have been using cloudflare for years on end and 0 DMCA issues, their sites are very popular too.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

ThePirateBay is on Cloudflare.
    Nobody DMCSA'd them?

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • @yoursunny said:
    ThePirateBay is on Cloudflare.
    Nobody DMCSA'd them?

99% of websites that share torrents/leaked and cracked content use cloudflare, even kiwifarms was behind cloudflare for YEARS, same goes with phishing scams and webstressers, I mean cloudflare held kiwifarms for years, when ddos-guard that holds stuff such as doxbin dropped them in 30min, ironic.

• cloudflare just forwards DMCA to your web host.
    I haven't seen cloudflare nuked the free/paid customer's account for DMCA.
    internet would be flooded with such complaints.

• @bandito said: I know people that host similar content to you, they all have been using cloudflare for years on end and 0 DMCA issues, their sites are very popular too

It takes some luck. If no one sends a claim, you won't be taken down.

And I know people behind cloudflare who had their origin IP handed over and I know people whose hosts received the forwarded DMCA claims.

• A few days ago I received email from Cloudflare about DMCA and that they have forwarded it to my host. My free Cloudflare was not nuked neither I heard anything from my host.

• @gourmet0001 said:

Thank you for the advice. Is there any simple tutorial that allows you to configure the reverse proxy using Litespeed? Internet tutorials are complicated.

Use Nginx Proxy Manager (https://nginxproxymanager.com), it is very easy.

About DDoS-Guard.net, I had account with them and its free to use their CDN, similar service to Cloudflare. https://ddos-guard.net/en/store/web

But be aware, Google won't index your site if it hidden behind DDoS-Guard network. No problem if you're not expecting traffic from Google.

• Hey there, it sounds like you're trying to decide between using a reverse proxy or Cloudflare for your website that shares copyrighted content. Both options can help conceal the origin of your website's traffic, but they have their pros and cons. Reverse proxy provides more anonymity but doesn't guarantee safety, while Cloudflare improves performance and security but doesn't provide the same level of anonymity.

• YazheDomikYazheDomik Member
    edited January 2023

@YazheDomik said:
    Hey there, it sounds like you're trying to decide between using a reverse proxy or Cloudflare for your website that shares copyrighted content. Both options can help conceal the origin of your website's traffic, but they have their pros and cons. Reverse proxy provides more anonymity but doesn't guarantee safety, while Cloudflare improves performance and security but doesn't provide the same level of anonymity.

Another option you could consider is 2shill4school, they are real IP addresses and can provide higher level of anonymity but harder to set up. Consult with a legal professional to understand the risks and potential legal issues involved with sharing copyrighted content. Good luck!

EDIT: edited by netomx

• CloudFlare nuked my account for DMCA, can't add new domain, can't use workers on specific domain, now lots of domain stuck at cloudflare, no access to domain like auth code, name server update, whois update. Mailed them 3 days ago still no reply about domain access.
    Big mistake to choose them as domain registrar.

• DonkeyDonkey Member
    edited January 2023

Anybody know how to rescue my domains that have been transferred and renewed with cloudflare now being held like hostage?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Donkey said:
    Anybody know how to rescue my domains that have been transferred and renewed with cloudflare now being held like hostage?

1. Send certified letter via postal mail, demanding for Auth Code.
    2. If they refuse to provide within one week, take it up with ICANN registrar complaint.
    Thanked by 1Donkey
  • @afn said:

sorry for the bump..

but maybe im being stupid, but how do cloudflare know you are sharing copyrighted videos, assuming you are not using their origin servers SSL cert, surley the can only detect that it's a certain type of data, vidoes, txt, mp3 etc, but not what is being sent specifically. I thought the transport layer was encrypted?

• @afn said: Or vanwa.tech, chinese, probably 0 shits given about DMCA

They are American, and only have own hardware in USA currently.
    But yeah, with their reverse proxy, I don't know, they have different PoP's - the worst that can happen is they will forward dmca to you.

• @nocloud said: but maybe im being stupid, but how do cloudflare know you are sharing copyrighted videos, assuming you are not using their origin servers SSL cert, surley the can only detect that it's a certain type of data, vidoes, txt, mp3 etc, but not what is being sent specifically. I thought the transport layer was encrypted?

They want reports, they won't do anything on their own.
    Videos can only be proxied, but not cached(at least with their free and cheaper plans).