Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

okay-ish vps for compiling kernels
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

okay-ish vps for compiling kernels

Will compile kernels for Exynos7885 Platform.
Thats quite literally it.

Reqs:
8GB RAM
50GB Store (multiple sources)
2vCPU or something
100mbit/s Network (wont be using much)
Public IPv4/6 doesn't matter

CPU may hit 100% frequently.

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Budget: must be free.

• @yoursunny said:
    Budget: must be free.

Must be under $10

• Hmm, MetalVPS. Kinda classic...
    But good enough, is the pricing available publicly or do I have to bother him?

• @Otus9051 said:

he also has other servers with the $20 range/month.

• $20 is a bit out of my league...

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@lentro is your boy.
    TensorDock CPU-only server

• 2x Intel Xeon Scalable: $0.0760/hour
    • 8 GB RAM
    • 60 GB NVMe SSD: $0.0060/hour
    • Chicago DC1, USA: $0.0000/hour
    • Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: $0.0000/hour
    • Running Cost: $0.0820/hr
    • Stopped Cost: $0.0060/hr

$10/month would allow you to run this server for 76 hours per month, the rest of time stopped.
    If you have script to setup everything and do not need disk image retained, you can run the machine for 120 hours with $10 budget.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @yoursunny said:
    @lentro is your boy.
    TensorDock CPU-only server

• 2x Intel Xeon Scalable: $0.0760/hour
    • 8 GB RAM
    • 60 GB NVMe SSD: $0.0060/hour
    • Chicago DC1, USA: $0.0000/hour
    • Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: $0.0000/hour
    • Running Cost: $0.0820/hr
    • Stopped Cost: $0.0060/hr

$10/month would allow you to run this server for 76 hours per month, the rest of time stopped.
    If you have script to setup everything and do not need disk image retained, you can run the machine for 120 hours with $10 budget.

I almost forgot about TensorDock
    Also I might get a cheaper cpu than that maybe, thanks for the suggestion

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @Otus9051 said:
    $20 is a bit out of my league...

I know how you feel.
    there is no 100% for nothing.

i give you an idea ...... he may go lower if you use 100% on certain times.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said: TensorDock CPU-only server

Thanks for the mention!

@Otus9051 feel free to PM me if you need help setting things up :)

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited September 2022

@Otus9051 said: Will compile kernels for Exynos7885 Platform.

If that is all you use it for, consider an hourly billed VPS provider that supports an API and Terraform or similar. You can automate the compilation process to spin up an hourly VPS, compile and grab what you need and then shutdown the VPS afterwards. No wasted usage and costs :)

I recently discovered Terraform, which makes my life easier for testing/compilations. Example for my Upcloud Terraform tests at https://github.com/centminmod/upcloud-terraform. It roughly works out to between $0.02 - 0.08 per 10 mins compile time for me for 10-20min compilations.

Once I get more familiar with Terraform, will do the same for Linode, Vultr, DigitalOcean and Hetzner too as they all support Terraform.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Otus9051 https://extravm.com/high-ram-vps-special.php
    NYC plan has 6 in stock as of writing this..
    $9/m
    7.5 GB RAM DDR4
    2 Cores Ryzen 5700G
    50 GB NVMe
    8TB @ 1Gbps
    IPv4/IPv6

All modern linux OS for auto install via cloudinit or boot your own ISO which can be linked to your account.

• Up, Id like to see you finally purchase a package.

Thanked by 1dosai
  • @Otus9051 said:
    Will compile kernels for Exynos7885 Platform.
    Thats quite literally it.

Reqs:
    8GB RAM
    50GB Store (multiple sources)
    2vCPU or something
    100mbit/s Network (wont be using much)
    Public IPv4/6 doesn't matter

CPU may hit 100% frequently.

Naranja.tech might offer this, LES / discussion/2324/flash-sale-8gb-ram-4cpu-160-gb-ssd-kvm-48-year

• You don't need VPS for compiling kernel, just use your current computer ccache will speeding up after first compiling.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Don't you have a 16GB sponsored vm from @Abd ?

• @dosai said:
    Don't you have a 16GB sponsored vm from @Abd ?

It expired weeks ago

• @ailice said:
    You don't need VPS for compiling kernel, just use your current computer ccache will speeding up after first compiling.

I don't want my house to blow up. This laptop runs hot.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited September 2022

There is probably a greater chance that lightning will hit the node in the DC and the current will travel through all the routers to your home ONT than for gcc to blow up your house.

• Well I guess imma give my laptop a shot eh

• @Otus9051 said:

@ailice said:
    You don't need VPS for compiling kernel, just use your current computer ccache will speeding up after first compiling.

You're making so much excuse, why not consider what @luckypenguin and @MikeA has offered?

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited September 2022

@Liso said:

@Otus9051 said:

@ailice said:

You're making so much excuse, why not consider what @luckypenguin and @MikeA has offered?

As for @MikeA, the disk size is too small
    and @luckypenguin i cannot access the link(?) [EDIT: i realized they meant lowendspirit]

• seems like Naranja's site is down. Loads up a blank for me.

• I figured that I need atleast a 100gb disk space (because CCACHE)

• @Otus9051 said:

No, you don't. I compile mainline kernel postmarketos (msm8916) and weird custom kernel for alpine on Thinkpad X230.
    First clean compile took 3 hours and ~70 celcius hot, after that only took 30 minutes.

I afraid there any significant changes on source code from EOL Device unless you doing upstream major version kernel (which I apperciate you to do that).

• @ailice said:

@Otus9051 said:

No, you don't. I compile mainline kernel postmarketos (msm8916) and weird custom kernel for alpine on Thinkpad X230.
    First clean compile took 3 hours and ~70 celcius hot, after that only took 30 minutes.

I afraid there any significant changes on source code from EOL Device unless you doing upstream major version kernel (which I apperciate you to do that).

I am actually kinda thinking to mainline it but considering that it is 4.4 already, I won't bother much. I am currently running a build on my laptop. Lets see how good this goes.

• Might just use my laptop honestly.
    Took 40mins for a clean build, and hit 60C at max.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Every time you have a vague idea to flit from one project to another, you really could try building the thing you've downloaded on your own machine before trying to trick someone into giving you a free VPS because of $LATEST_LAME_EXCUSE.

• @ralf said:
    Every time you have a vague idea to flit from one project to another, you really could try building the thing you've downloaded on your own machine before trying to trick someone into giving you a free VPS because of $LATEST_LAME_EXCUSE.

Well, kinda was scared to try. Because apparently my friend had blew up his laptop (ic died) when he tried to compile a kernel, idk what happened there.