Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Systemd support lands in WSL – unleash the full power of Ubuntu today
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Systemd support lands in WSL – unleash the full power of Ubuntu today

Systemd support has arrived in WSL! This long-awaited upgrade to WSL unlocks a huge number of quality of life features for managing processes and services. This includes snapd support, which enables users to take advantage of all of the tools and apps available on snapcraft.io.

Systemd support is particularly useful for web developers who want to set up and develop service applications inside WSL before deploying them to the cloud. In this post we take you through some best practices on getting started with systemd with this in mind.

https://ubuntu.com/blog/ubuntu-wsl-enable-systemd

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

idk if you want to unleash cancer on cancer.

• KDE on wsl

• this is like running android apps on blackberry. just use android and dump the middleman.

• @Neoon said:
    idk if you want to unleash cancer on cancer.

It's genius.

• @mosquitoguy said:
    this is like running android apps on blackberry. just use android and dump the middleman.

BB10 was so good you often didn't need Android apps except for social shit. As a phone, it was actually useful. Google just needed to let them have access to Play or everyone write Universal html5 apps and they'd have been fine.

• Why would any sane person run Linux on windows bloatware?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@jcolideles said: Systemd support has arrived in WSL!

Only for Windows Insiders running Windows 11 and the Microsoft Store version of WSL.

So not really "available" yet, but it will come to Windows 11 stable relatively soon.

@nikozin said: Why would any sane person run Linux on windows bloatware?

Great dev environment for almost anything and a good way to get the best of both worlds. Been using it for the last few years and I like it better than macOS overall. Windows 10 is a pretty nice OS by the way, and not "bloated" in day to day use.

Thanked by 1marian
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Nyr said:

@nikozin said: Why would any sane person run Linux on windows bloatware?

Great dev environment for almost anything and a good way to get the best of both worlds. Been using it for the last few years and I like it better than macOS overall. Windows 10 is a pretty nice OS by the way, and not "bloated" in day to day use.

How is the performance?

• I wonder when MS finally rolls their own Linux distro, without beating around
    the bush and make a nice native solution for their Azure infra.

• @Nyr said: Windows 10 is a pretty nice OS by the way, and not "bloated" in day to day use.

WHAT?! You're joking right?

• @luckypenguin said:
    I wonder when MS finally rolls their own Linux distro, without beating around

One more year (or less) and Microsoft will acquire Canonical.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Neoon said: How is the performance?

WSL 1 is slow for compute or IO heavy tasks. WSL 2 is fine for almost all use cases.

@serv_ee said: WHAT?! You're joking right?

I am not. I fail to see the supposed bloat in my day to day use, maybe someone can enlighten me. Most "bloaty" thing I have seen are a few preloaded apps which are removable with a few clicks, and some ads about Edge a while ago. I also get nags about using a Microsoft account every 6 months or so and they can be dismissed with 1 click.

I genuinely am happy with Windows 10 and I think it is a decent and competent OS - the best for many tasks. And I am not a Microsoft fanboy by any means, I got back to Windows from a full Apple ecosystem and also use Linux.

Thanked by 1raidz
  • @Nyr said:

@Neoon said: How is the performance?

WSL 1 is slow for compute or IO heavy tasks. WSL 2 is fine for almost all use cases.

@serv_ee said: WHAT?! You're joking right?

I am not. I fail to see the supposed bloat in my day to day use, maybe someone can enlighten me. Most "bloaty" thing I have seen are a few preloaded apps which are removable with a few clicks, and some ads about Edge a while ago. I also get nags about using a Microsoft account every 6 months or so and they can be dismissed with 1 click.

I genuinely am happy with Windows 10 and I think it is a decent and competent OS - the best for many tasks. And I am not a Microsoft fanboy by any means, I got back to Windows from a full Apple ecosystem and also use Linux.

Maybe we just got an different experience then. There are so many things going on in the background usually that it just crawls almost to a halt sometimes.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • Finally systemd comes to where big boys play

• @luckypenguin said:

It already exists? https://github.com/microsoft/CBL-Mariner

• @nikozin said:
    Why would any sane person run Linux on windows bloatware?

You should see the benchmarks showing better performance running on WSL in Windows than native Linux on same hardware. It's often Linux fanboys that irrationally think any and all Linux always outperforms Windows for everything. That isn't the case.

People, please stop by Phoronix everyone once in a while to see properly done benchmarks and useful information.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited September 2022

@luckypenguin said:

They already do for Azure and internal use (just like their own Unix). Microsoft has been a major Linux kernel contributor for years.