Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any idea how to install OLS in Oracle ARM A1 instance?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any idea how to install OLS in Oracle ARM A1 instance?

I have been trying to install openlitespeed web server to my oracle ampere a1 ARM64 instance. But I am always getting some errors. Have you installed OLS on oracle arm machines. Also what web server and panel is best for this?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@raselmx said:
    Also what web server and panel is best for this?

Caddy server.
    No panel, just write Caddyfile manually.

• sotssots Member

Why panel? Is it very difficult to write an NGINX configuration?

Thanked by 1capric98
  • aapanel

• try aapanel

• nikozinnikozin Member
    edited July 2022

Avoid hosting anything on Oracle Free Tier, Infact don't even signup for it

It took me a day to set everything up from firewall, configuring ports and docker, after 2 days they terminated my instance without any reason.

Ontopic: Oracle has shielded Linux images which contain bloatware/tracking, they basically don't like you running out of the box Debian or Ubuntu.

What you need to do is to create a bucket, upload a custom image (QCOW2 format) and then create an instance using it - use 'debian' as username on ssh. Then your Openlightspeed installation will go smoothly. It's a painful process, not worth it because they'll suspend your account without any reason.

I'm still mad, they didn't even let me download the backup of configuration files I spent hours in making.

• @nikozin said:

It took me a day to set everything up from firewall, configuring ports and docker, after 2 days they terminated my instance without any reason.

Ontopic: Oracle has shielded Linux images which contain bloatware/tracking, they basically don't like you running out of the box Debian or Ubuntu.

What you need to do is to create a bucket, upload a custom image (QCOW2 format) and then create an instance using it - use 'debian' as username on ssh. Then your Openlightspeed installation will go smoothly. It's a painful process, not worth it because they'll suspend your account without any reason.

I'm still mad, they didn't even let me download the backup of configuration files I spent hours in making.

I installed lots of stuff on mine, even windows for a while and never had issues 🤷‍♂️

• Exagear can run x86 on oracle btw, works for me

• @nikozin said:

Installed Windows, running 20 websites and apps, even with 50req/s, still run fine. I know it's not recommended to run production sites on OCI, but stop telling everyone should avoid OCI.

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

I am running plesk on arm instanses

• @nikozin said:

Sorry man but I am using this for a year with Google drive backup (just in case). I'm sorry for your loss.

• @nikozin said:

It’s a hit or miss essentially. My first account was banned in two weeks and the VMs were idling. Second one is up for a while now, running seedbox +Plex on non arm instance.

• @jmaxwell said:

@nikozin said:

It’s a hit or miss essentially. My first account was banned in two weeks and the VMs were idling. Second one is up for a while now, running seedbox +Plex on non arm instance.

I am just hosting my small website that no one visits 😂 maybe that is why, it is okay.

• @raselmx said:

@jmaxwell said:

@nikozin said:

I am just hosting my small website that no one visits 😂 maybe that is why, it is okay.

Maybe. Maybe not. In any case Oracle is infamous for banning accounts randomly.

• niranjanniranjan Member
    edited September 2022

OLS doesn't support ARM, you can use the AMD instances,

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

I have tried building it, but failed due to few of php's building stuff.

• Have you tried CyberPanel?

edited September 2022

Okay, I managed to install OLS in Arm A1 instance, but I wasn't able to build php5 for admin side panel. :(

/tmp/ccttQdoI.s: Assembler messages:
    /tmp/ccttQdoI.s:6729: Error: operand 2 must be an integer register -- `mul x2,v0,v1'
    /tmp/ccttQdoI.s:6730: Error: operand 2 must be an integer register -- `smulh x0,v0,v1'
    /tmp/ccttQdoI.s:7448: Error: operand 2 must be an integer register -- `mul x2,v9,v0'
    /tmp/ccttQdoI.s:7449: Error: operand 2 must be an integer register -- `smulh x1,v9,v0'
    /tmp/ccttQdoI.s:7598: Error: operand 2 must be an integer register -- `mul x2,v0,v0'
    /tmp/ccttQdoI.s:7599: Error: operand 2 must be an integer register -- `smulh x1,v0,v0'
    make: *** [Makefile:784: Zend/zend_operators.lo] Error 1

Edit: I was able to succeed after manually editing Zend/zend_multiply.h
    https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/8c8679207ae5ada8751288e75b78c928a4d34d1d

Edit2: Works great!

I can probably write up a tutorial if anyone wants later.

• My application requires php 7.4 or higher. Any luck with 7.4 or 8.0 ? Also thank you for tutorial seems very informative!

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly

@raselmx said:
    My application requires php 7.4 or higher. Any luck with 7.4 or 8.0 ? Also thank you for tutorial seems very informative!

yes, i was able to build php 7.4! check my post on thread.