Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

India VPS for vscode remote coding with weird reqs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

India VPS for vscode remote coding with weird reqs

Hi, I'm learning into rust and my current laptop is too weak for it rn (saving up freelance money for a good one tho)
Here's my requirements -

• 8 vcpu and 16 gb ram( fair share is fine for CPU, since its not a compile server I won't, be hitting 100% usage all the time.. Most of the time I'll be editing code and not compiling it. ( I doubt ill ever hit hit above an average of 25% usage))
  • 500mbps+ internet speed
  • india location or pretty good ping to india
  • billed by the min if that is possible else hourly billing is fine for the compute resources but persistent hard disk.
  • I won't be using it for more than 90h a month
  • Static ip is not needed so if you can save me some bucks on that then I'd be very happy. Again not a dealbreaker
  • Nvme drive for storage, 50gb should be enough

Price... Well I have no idea but aws is offering for $20 for that so im fine with up to 20$ for 90h of usage

Are my reqs too much ?

Comments

• Why don't you just use the oracle cloud free tier.... 4vcpu and 24 GB ram (I know it doesn't meet your CPU reqs but still good for free). Also since its for learning you do not need too much stability, albeit its very stable for me XD. Has India location and you can install vscode server on it.

Only one thing. It is an ARM cpu. Other than that its a very good option and might help you save money to buy a new laptop :smile:

• @tmepy said:
    Why don't you just use the oracle cloud free tier

I've used it for a while but the CPU is a bit limiting

• @Dot said:

@tmepy said:
    Why don't you just use the oracle cloud free tier

I've used it for a while but the CPU is a bit limiting

Ah, I see. Maybe you could use Linode. I have used it in the past and its pretty solid. (Also Digital Ocean is meh compared to it -> I hate digital ocean)

Its dedicated CPU plan which means good cpu and not shared..

Also you can see the networking speed for yourself :wink:

For 90 Hours of usage amounts up to 16.2$ :smile:

• Ah, I see. Maybe you could use Linode

I know they're good but I don't think Linode offers persistent disk for use-and-destroy server

• Use aws/gcp etc. You aren't getting it any cheaper in india.

Thanked by 1devp
  • What on earth do you need 8 vCPU and 16GB of RAM for just learning Rust?

• @CyberneticTitan said:
    What on earth do you need 8 vCPU and 16GB of RAM for just learning Rust?

Compiling big programs

• @Dot said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

Compiling big programs

Can you give an example?

• Compiling rust is no doubt cpu intensive but nowhere requires that amount of cpu/ram at least for learning purpose.

Plus cargo build caches the object files as you iteratively develop. Unless you are doing a clean build everytime it won't require that amount of cpu power.

Thanked by 1afn
  • @CyberneticTitan said:

@Dot said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

Compiling big programs

Can you give an example?

Compiling a web server written in rocket is kind of resource intensive

• @rattlecattle said:
    Compiling rust is no doubt cpu intensive but nowhere requires that amount of cpu/ram at least for learning purpose.

Plus cargo build caches the object files as you iteratively develop. Unless you are doing a clean build everytime it won't require that amount of cpu power.

Compiling a web server written in rocket is kind of resource intensive

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Our PaaS - CloudJiffy.com suits this requirement perfectly.

You can create an Elastic VM with the resources required, without a public IP. We only charge for compute used, and space upto 20GB is free.

If you stop your VM, it is charged 0 (except for space above 20GB and a public IP if you use one)

While your VM is in use, we charge for actual compute in increments of 128MB RAM / 400Mhz CPU on a per hour basis.

Billing is postpaid based on your actual consumption.

PM me for a free Rs 500 (assuming you are Indian) credit after you signup.

If you do not use VMs, we offer full ready to deploy stacks connected to Git/SVN + Jenkins for fully automatic CI/CD.

Regions - Pune, India - Frankfurt, Germany - Los Angeles, USA. - Mumbai, India coming next month and Delhi in December.

• @Dot said:
    Hi, I'm learning into rust and my current laptop is too weak for it rn (saving up freelance money for a good one tho)

• 8 vcpu and 16 gb ram
      Are my reqs too much ?

Yes. If you're going to be using it primarily to edit code, and for no more than 90 hours a month, then likely you'll only being using the CPU for compilations for maybe an hour. Even if you're maxing that CPU for compiles, moving to a much slower machine that you already own will maybe waste a couple of minutes a day, whilst saving you a lot of money.

Do what people did in the past: If you have a compile task that takes 10 minutes, do an odd job around the house. if it takes an hour, go for a walk. Even if it only takes a minute, stand up and shake your arms a bit and get your blood circulation going again. Equally, if it only takes a minute, you don't need a faster machine anyway.

My point is there's always something useful you can do during a long compile. Even if you don't want to do exercise, think about the next part of your project. Thinking rather than sitting in front of a computer is a great way to speed up your development process overall.

Thanked by 1devp
  • Use your real account @Otus9051

• @jmaxwell said:
    Use your real account @Otus9051

What ?

• @ralf said:

@Dot said:

• 8 vcpu and 16 gb ram
      Are my reqs too much ?

Yes. If you're going to be using it primarily to edit code, and for no more than 90 hours a month, then likely you'll only being using the CPU for compilations for maybe an hour. Even if you're maxing that CPU for compiles, moving to a much slower machine that you already own will maybe waste a couple of minutes a day, whilst saving you a lot of money.

Do what people did in the past: If you have a compile task that takes 10 minutes, do an odd job around the house. if it takes an hour, go for a walk. Even if it only takes a minute, stand up and shake your arms a bit and get your blood circulation going again. Equally, if it only takes a minute, you don't need a faster machine anyway.

My point is there's always something useful you can do during a long compile. Even if you don't want to do exercise, think about the next part of your project. Thinking rather than sitting in front of a computer is a great way to speed up your development process overall.

Hmm the deal is that my computer becomes unusable or even crashes coz of my dual core cpu

• @Dot said:
    Hmm the deal is that my computer becomes unusable or even crashes coz of my dual core cpu

Unusable - that's to be expected if you're maxing the CPU. That's why I suggested doing something else while this happens.
    Crashes - fix your computer, or if it's running out of RAM, learn how to use swap space.

If you are just learning rust, there is absolutely no way you need 8 cores and 16GB.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Try GitHub codespaces?

https://cs50.io (free via cs50)

• @ralf said:

@Dot said:

Unusable - that's to be expected if you're maxing the CPU. That's why I suggested doing something else while this happens.
    Crashes - fix your computer, or if it's running out of RAM, learn how to use swap space.

If you are just learning rust, there is absolutely no way you need 8 cores and 16GB.

I'm not a newbie to programming , I've been coding for a while now
    And macros are super resource intensive. It takes like 40 sec for my PC to compile a not really big program consecutively (not a clean build)
    As for that I might look and downgrade in the future if I feel my setup is overkill
    Again I'm not sure how much I need but this is just an estimate that I think would be more than enough

• @FatGrizzly said:
    Try GitHub codespaces?

The pricing is kinda expensive at 0.72$ an hour
    Also what specs do you get with the cs50 codespace

@Dot said:

@FatGrizzly said:
    Try GitHub codespaces?

my bad, just 2C4G.

they used to offer 8C16G for free in the past

• @jmaxwell said:

hi guys what happened here i just logged in after who knows how many days

• @FatGrizzly said:

@Dot said:

@FatGrizzly said:
    Try GitHub codespaces?

my bad, just 2C4G.

they used to offer 8C16G for free in the past

Yep, they did. Used to abuse the shit out of it with Minecraft hosting and what not.

• @Otus9051 said:

@jmaxwell said:

hi guys what happened here i just logged in after who knows how many days

some weirdo thinks I'm your alt

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@Otus9051 said: Used to abuse the shit out of it with Minecraft hosting and what not.

This is why free services don't exist for a longer period of time

@Otus9051 are you learning rust rn?

• @FatGrizzly said:
    @Otus9051 are you learning rust rn?

Nope. Java and TypeScript. Planning to learn some BGP routing things and Embedded C.

• abytecuriousabytecurious Member
    edited September 2022

Have you tried Paperspace (https://www.paperspace.com/gradient/pricing)? Get a PRO plan on their gradient instance (8$/month). It comes with 15GB of storage (you can add more, charged at 0.29$/GB).
    You can develop locally on VSCode and offload all compilation to the Paperspace instance (https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/datascience/jupyter-notebooks#_connect-to-a-remote-jupyter-server).
    For the PRO plan, you get access to a number of free GPU instances. Each free instance can run for 6 hours at a time (max), unless you want to go for a paid "always-on" instance. Free GPU instances have between 30-45 GB of RAM and 8 vCPU. The instance also has SSH access (if you need)

Cons:

• you will face a bit of a lag if you are starting your instance again after the 6 hour window. This is because they will provision it again
    • No Dedicated IP (but can be purchased). I don't think you will need it just for remote compilation.
    • No India location, NY, CA and AMS. I don't think you can select the location when you provision (atleast I didn't see that)

PS: They also have a "CORE" compute product, no CPU limits, a C6 compute instance (8 CPU, 16 GB RAM) comes with 50GB storage at 0.172$/hr. Windows is Free, you can also use Ubuntu (no desktop). For 90 hrs it is 19.48$/month. Storage is fixed price (even when instance is off, since you need your data later) which is around 5$/month

• @abytecurious said:
    Have you tried Paperspace (https://www.paperspace.com/gradient/pricing)? Get a PRO plan on their gradient instance (8$/month). It comes with 15GB of storage (you can add more, charged at 0.29$/GB).
    You can develop locally on VSCode and offload all compilation to the Paperspace instance (https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/datascience/jupyter-notebooks#_connect-to-a-remote-jupyter-server).
    For the PRO plan, you get access to a number of free GPU instances. Each free instance can run for 6 hours at a time (max), unless you want to go for a paid "always-on" instance. Free GPU instances have between 30-45 GB of RAM and 8 vCPU. The instance also has SSH access (if you need)

Cons:

• you will face a bit of a lag if you are starting your instance again after the 6 hour window. This is because they will provision it again
    • No Dedicated IP (but can be purchased). I don't think you will need it just for remote compilation.
    • No India location, NY, CA and AMS. I don't think you can select the location when you provision (atleast I didn't see that)

PS: They also have a "CORE" compute product, no CPU limits, a C6 compute instance (8 CPU, 16 GB RAM) comes with 50GB storage at 0.172$/hr. Windows is Free, you can also use Ubuntu (no desktop). For 90 hrs it is 19.48$/month. Storage is fixed price (even when instance is off, since you need your data later) which is around 5$/month

Sadly I want a good ping to India. which doesn't seem to be available

• Try neverinstall. Com