Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Use CDN without WordPress plugin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Use CDN without WordPress plugin

pkrpkr Member

I want to use BunnyCDN on my website, but I do not want to use any plugin.
I tried CDN enabler and BunnyCDN plugin, but both slow down the website.

Without plugin
First Contentful Paint (FCP) and Largest Contentful Paint(LCP) < 2s
Cumulative Layout Shift(CLS) ~0s second on mobile, score 80-85

First Contentful Paint (FCP) and Largest Contentful Paint(LCP) < 0.5s
Cumulative Layout Shift(CLS) ~0s second on desktop, score 99-100

With plugin
First Contentful Paint (FCP) and Largest Contentful Paint(LCP): 2.6-3s
Cumulative Layout Shift(CLS) ~0.05s second on mobile, score 65-75

First Contentful Paint (FCP) and Largest Contentful Paint(LCP): 0.6-0.8s
Cumulative Layout Shift(CLS) ~0.05s second on desktop, score 95-99

Google gives me just one link from 2011 which does not work for all static content. Has anyone implemented any CDN without plugin? Any hint would really be great help.

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2022

Never seen that CDN module is slowdown website, have you tried to optimise your WordPress? The way I managed to do without any module using .htaccess all images and css/JavaScript requests can be deducted to cdn.domain.name (so via CNAME will served via CDN)

Thanked by 1niranjan
  • LiteSpeed & QUIC.cloud for the win.

• You can use just one plug-in "WP Rocket" which can handle everything from cache to optimization

It can even integrate with BunnyCDN

So there's no need to install the CDN plug-in separately

• @pkr said: Has anyone implemented any CDN without plugin?

Cloudflare PRO with static caching? I didn't measure ms but it does what it's supposed to do.
    Akamai/Fastly does similar but the onboarding process is PITA.

• @luckypenguin said:

@pkr said: Has anyone implemented any CDN without plugin?

Cloudflare PRO with static caching? I didn't measure ms but it does what it's supposed to do.
    Akamai/Fastly does similar but the onboarding process is PITA.

I tested Cloudflare Pro and WordPress APO.

TL/DR:
    Cloudflare free + LiteSpeed free beats it, on average.

• If using the BunnyCDN plugin slows down your website you need to host it somewhere else, or something else is going on in your WP installation. Its probably the most lightweight WP plugin that exists

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • CDN Enabler and BunnyCDN work great together. If don't want to use any third party plugin you can serve entire site via Cloudfront. I'm using the same setup(Whole site via Cloudfront) and the performance is remarkable!

• first try to enable opcache, apcu, docket cache and object cache on your wordpress. this can be done without plugins too. then just use bunnycdn or any cdn of your choice, you'll feel the difference. if you are on litespeed, no need to install lscache, just use their 4 lines of .htaccess code to enable lscache on the server = more speed.

• pkrpkr Member
    edited September 2022

The impact is in ms, not noticeable by humans. But Google can certainly notice that.
    I have enabled opcache, apcu on the server.

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

Use BunnyDNS, it'll proxy the site similarly to Cloudflare and you won't have to use a plugin in that instance.

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • @speedypage said:
    Use BunnyDNS, it'll proxy the site similarly to Cloudflare and you won't have to use a plugin in that instance.

Did not know this. I am using BunnyDNS. Let me try it.

Thanked by 1speedypage
  • @JasonM said:
    first try to enable opcache, apcu, docket cache and object cache on your wordpress. this can be done without plugins too. then just use bunnycdn or any cdn of your choice, you'll feel the difference. if you are on litespeed, no need to install lscache, just use their 4 lines of .htaccess code to enable lscache on the server = more speed.

What's the easiest way to enable opcache, apcu, docket cache and object cache?

• Your site must be full of plugins. Why does CDN needs a plugin? As you can use it without a plugin.

• @cazrz said:
    Your site must be full of plugins. Why does CDN needs a plugin? As you can use it without a plugin.

To rewrite urls to cdn url ? If your cdn is full site delivery / proxified like Cloudflare, yes you don't need a plugin for that.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @WebProject said:
    Never seen that CDN module is slowdown website, have you tried to optimise your WordPress? The way I managed to do without any module using .htaccess all images and css/JavaScript requests can be deducted to cdn.domain.name (so via CNAME will served via CDN)

Share the code please!

• If you don't want hassle, then use BunnyDNS, and activate Bunny Proxy (just like Proxied Cloudflare).

• cloudflare CDN