Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Additional IPv4: new pricing - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Additional IPv4: new pricing

2»

Comments

• Oh.
    I have to say : Goodbye OVH.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Teko said:
    @exception0x876 Will there be another change in price? :o

Not in the near future. Also, not all our packages use OVH and with this new IP pricing changes other providers will become much more competitive for resellers.

Thanked by 1Teko
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • Good occasion to cancel some idling servers

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2022

KS1 no hikes, prem.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

https://www.ovhcloud.com/en-ie/new-services-repricing/

The VPS price will include the additional cost of the primary IP. For Starter and Value VPS services, an adjustment period will apply until January 2023 — during which the primary IP will not be billed.

I don't remember them mentioning before that IPv4 price increases will also affect the primary IP of each service. Up until now it was all about additional IPs only. Or am I mistaken?

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • wonder what my 17.88/yr vps is gonna bump to hohoho.

• Called this several times over the last 18 months. Not the first time they have done this to existing clients.

• amsaalamsaal Member
    edited September 2022

After inreasing price you be like spending more then usual.

• Time to remove all additional IP's and use PFsense to do NATing for my VM's

• For IPs bought before October 6

In order to follow the price of new subscriptions, we will gradually integrate this new pricing for Additional IP subscribed before this date.

From December 1, 2022, existing subscriptions will be charged at €0.50 per month per IP (excluding taxes);
    From April 1, 2023, existing subscriptions will be charged at €1.00 per month per IP (excluding taxes);
    From September 1, 2023, existing subscriptions will be charged at €1.50 per month per IP (excluding taxes).

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@zed said:
    wonder what my 17.88/yr vps is gonna bump to hohoho.

Probably additional cost per IPv4 address, one way to save some money is do prepay in advance for 1/2 years to stop any additional cost.

Example: I personally like to renew the domain name for 10 years in advance, except some companies don’t support such option (example: UK domain name can be renewed for 10-20 years in advance)

• Any good alternatives to SYS/OVH?

• spammyspammy Member
    edited December 2022

Understood I am reviving an old post but just want to highlight that OVH charges IPv4 for existing subscriptions on a yearly basis even if you are paying your main (VPS) service monthly (and that's the only service I have in my account). IMO it is quite shady, if they are allowed to randomly charge people like this does that mean they can also "pre-charge" me for 100 years of service and ask me to pay thousand of dollars???

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • ninjatkninjatk Signature Restricted

@spammy said:
    Understood I am reviving an old post but just want to highlight that OVH charges IPv4 for existing subscriptions on a yearly basis even if you are paying your main (VPS) service monthly (and that's the only service I have in my account). IMO it is quite shady, if they are allowed to randomly charge people like this does that mean they can also "pre-charge" me for 100 years of service and ask me to pay thousand of dollars???

why you necropost

• @ninjatk said:

@spammy said:

why you necropost

Take a hint from his username.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • @ninjatk said:

@spammy said:

why you necropost

Just want to add some additional information about them which I do not was mentioned in the posts before. Felt I should probably better off posting from the old thread rather than opening a new one to keep all the discussion in one thread.

Thanked by 2darkimmortal rm_
  • solimosolimo Member
    edited January 2023

I was going to open a new thread for So you Start but let's try this first...

I just received an e-mail informing me about the new prices for IPv4 starting March 1st, this is the first I hear about this from OVH... anyway the e-mail says what is already known:

In addition to our blog article published in September and specifically for So you Start offers, we inform you that the price of subscriptions (new & existing) for Additional IP services (additional IPv4, geolocated and fail-over) will gradually evolve as follow:

From March 1, 2023, subscriptions will be charged at 0.50 € per month per IP (ex. VAT).
    From March 30, 2023, subscriptions will be charged at 1.00 € per month per IP (ex. VAT).
    From September 1, 2023, subscriptions will be charged at 1.50 € per month per IP (ex. VAT).

I've looked at the blog post from the 1st post and besides having the above prices in the first section, in the later "What products will be impacted?" section under SYS for New Price it says "€ 1.50 monthly
    (regardless of the number of IP already subscribed)". note how it doesn't say per IP and it seems to say its 1.50 for all the IPs you have together.

So now I'm confused is it per IP or not? Someone probably messed up on that blog post so I'll assume its per IP as that seems more likely and is repeated more often.

I currently have 8 IPs in one /29 and I can reduce my use by March 1st to 4 IPs so a /30 would be good enough and then I can implement NAT to reduce further but I will need more time.

However, I don't see any way of actually canceling half my IPs and keeping the other half? Will I have to contact their awful support for this? Anyone already try to reduce their IP usage?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@solimo said: So now I'm confused is it per IP

It's per IP.

Francisco

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@solimo said: section under SYS for New Price it says "€ 1.50 monthly
    (regardless of the number of IP already subscribed)"

It said that only to contrast the new rules with prior pricing, where you could have up to 16 IPs without monthly fee. Now they mean you are charged for each IP no matter how many you have, even below 16.

• so these disgusting SoYouStart / OVH thieves with all their talk about IPv4 exhaustion as the reason for the new fees screwed me over when I wanted to reduce my IP usage and of course avoid the new costs.

Today the new IPv4 rules came into effect on So You Start, 10 days ago I sent a technical support ticket asking if they can reduce my /29 to a /30, they said this wasn't technically possible which is a lie of course but I imagine their ugly web management dashboard and backend is too ancient to manage something like that and they are too lazy to do things manually.

Ok fine so I wanted to add new IPv4 to move my services over to them and then to remove my old /29 and its 8 IPs, their stupid web dashboard wanted 1eur setup fee for each 1x IPv4, so I sent a billing support ticket asking to add 4 IPs but using the new IPv4 pricing which means there is no setup fee, they asked for some useless information that they didn't even need, I provided that and then they simply ghosted me.

So today, 1st of March I had to pay 4eur for my initial 8 IPs, and now I have to pay 2eur for 4 new IPv4 that I need to move my old services to before removing the 8 IPs from the /29.

Absolute garbage customer support, as is well known and expected.

• 77tontos77tontos Member
    edited March 2023

@solimo said:
    so these disgusting SoYouStart / OVH thieves with all their talk about IPv4 exhaustion as the reason for the new fees screwed me over when I wanted to reduce my IP usage and of course avoid the new costs.

Today the new IPv4 rules came into effect on So You Start, 10 days ago I sent a technical support ticket asking if they can reduce my /29 to a /30, they said this wasn't technically possible which is a lie of course but I imagine their ugly web management dashboard and backend is too ancient to manage something like that and they are too lazy to do things manually.

Ok fine so I wanted to add new IPv4 to move my services over to them and then to remove my old /29 and its 8 IPs, their stupid web dashboard wanted 1eur setup fee for each 1x IPv4, so I sent a billing support ticket asking to add 4 IPs but using the new IPv4 pricing which means there is no setup fee, they asked for some useless information that they didn't even need, I provided that and then they simply ghosted me.

So today, 1st of March I had to pay 4eur for my initial 8 IPs, and now I have to pay 2eur for 4 new IPv4 that I need to move my old services to before removing the 8 IPs from the /29.

Absolute garbage customer support, as is well known and expected.

I understand your pain. wow what a shit show this has been. I went 7 years with no issues or negative feelings towards ovh and this has really started to make me rethink things.

I have a lot of servers with them and even refered quite a few businesses I have met at conferences and I just don't understand how this switch could be so bad.

Want to charge for ips? Not great but okay I can understand that.

Want to tell me there is a deadline they have more migrations and they missed it. Okay fine things happen but the lack of communication is not okay.

Tell me you are going to charge for ips and still have yet to do that. So im waiting for the massive bill they decided to send all at once. Not okay.

I never bother them, Everything I have or refered has a team for that but when I open a support ticket asking about ips or the migration and you close it with "No information at this time". Not Okay.

When I go to buy servers on your main website and use my sys information to keep my servers seperate from the other ovh servers I have and prevent possible migration issues then you ask for an asinine amount of information and eventually cancel my order. Not Okay.

tldr: Im frustrated especially given my 7+ year clean history with ovh and needed to vent.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

So they finaly finished justifying all the addresses they expect to need. Got it.

Took way longer than I expected to be honest.

Thanked by 1Gatto
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited March 2023

Getting a daily renewal email listing all the failover IPs I cancelled months ago on SYS, anyone else getting this?

Services that have already expired but are not yet closed, or services that should be classed in a more advanced category (D-7 rather than D-30 for example)

This situation arises most often when you have contacted our services following a payment made in order to avoid an unwanted closure:

They were cancelled by virtue of being attached to a dedi that was cancelled. No bills/services/IPs visible in the SYS panel :/

• OVH messed up with Ip billing a big time, last month, they forgot to send the bill for the IP, this month, suddenly all IP cancelled without my action. Urgen Ticket open since last week and no one care to fix it.
    For these Ip mess up, I think they are losing lots of customers like me. I am moving most of production servers away from OVH, only keeping some small VPS & dedi.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@trungkien said:
    OVH messed up with Ip billing a big time, last month, they forgot to send the bill for the IP, this month, suddenly all IP cancelled without my action. Urgen Ticket open since last week and no one care to fix it.
    For these Ip mess up, I think they are losing lots of customers like me. I am moving most of production servers away from OVH, only keeping some small VPS & dedi.

And everyone wonders why I hate them.

• @aqua said:

@trungkien said:
    OVH messed up with Ip billing a big time, last month, they forgot to send the bill for the IP, this month, suddenly all IP cancelled without my action. Urgen Ticket open since last week and no one care to fix it.

I can understand that OVH needed to make some more money. But they are going greedy in the way they charge for the Ips, making a mess with the billing, combined with slow ticket support and no phone support available which made it not suitable for production anymore.
    Too bad that before this mess, OVH server just work for people who are comfortable with self-managing the server.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@trungkien said:

@aqua said:

@trungkien said:

I can understand that OVH needed to make some more money. But they are going greedy in the way they charge for the Ips, making a mess with the billing, combined with slow ticket support and no phone support available which made it not suitable for production anymore.
    Too bad that before this mess, OVH server just work for people who are comfortable with self-managing the server.

They make plenty of money. They just have greedy investors

• 77tontos77tontos Member
    edited March 2023

@aqua said:

Exactly this. I understand the support teir system and that I am paying for cheap servers without support and have gone without opening tickets for years but when they cause the problems themselves that is outside of that self managing scope and they need to be able to answer quickly and competently for a company their size.

Thanksfully I randomly got a nice sized invoice the other day with all the ips that said past due by 2 months... Paid it immidiately knowing they would likly be disabled that night if I didn't