Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a high spec VPS for 3 days
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a high spec VPS for 3 days

I want to run a Matlab simulation software on Windows VPS that should be packed with at least 16GB RAM and 8 CPU.

Can I use any new user credits from Cloud VPS providers like Vultr, DigitalOcean.
Linode. etc?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

If this is for non-profit scientific research purpose, welcome to FABRIC testbed or FED4Fire.

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

@smartcard said:
    I want to run a Matlab simulation software on Windows VPS that should be packed with at least 16GB RAM and 8 CPU.

Can I use any new user credits from Cloud VPS providers like Vultr, DigitalOcean.
    Linode. etc?

@lentro is your boy checkout tensordock.com

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • DursDurs Member
    edited September 2022

i dont want go to deep into this topic. If you want make your Bachelor, Master, Doktor... for a private company. This is excalty the times from 1 of 10 cases of an data leakage.

I am working in a big company, actual send outside to an other country. Here people talk with each other. You will not know, how detail they research is, to find the stupid guy. Be careful.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • You can use aeza for hourly billed high spec vps

• emgemg Veteran
    edited September 2022

These types of requests appear here fairly often. I wonder why the requestors don't find a nearby desktop computer that fits the need. Don't they have a friend or school or local business with a computer that can do what they want, especially a short term request like this?

To @smartcard:
    Can you run your MATLAB simulation on a borrowed computer over a weekend? Say, when a business computer may not be needed? Do you really need a server on the internet for this job?

General comment about these requests, especially for learners:
    A lot of people want various VPSs and servers for learning Linux or networking or servers or whatever. Some come here begging for one for free. Speaking for myself, I wonder why they resist the idea of downloading and configuring a virtual environment with a network, a couple virtual servers, etc. on their personal computers? VirtualBox and Linux are both free, as we all know.

(Yeah, there is something magical about controlling your own server in a remote location far away. Nonetheless, I believe that some "students" would be better served if they could resist the urge to get a VPS and start by creating a Linux virtual machine on their personal computer. Perhaps they have all ditched their computers for smartphones.)

Thanked by 2ralf yoursunny
  • Also, almost invariably the problem you're trying to solve won't go perfectly first time. You'll want a second and third try.

Alternatively you could just use a computer you already have. If it takes a week, suck it up, at least you can try other experiments on it. Or try one of the places yoursunny mentioned.

But for OP's original request, even if you find somewhere that will rent you a high spec machine for a few days (you probably do want a cloud provider for that), probably none will have a windows licence, because they won't be allowed to give you a trial version of windows if it's rented that way, nor will anybody want to give you a full licence which will cost a good deal more than the server itself.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @emg said:
    These types of requests appear here fairly often. I wonder why the requestors don't find a nearby desktop computer that fits the need. Don't they have a friend or school or local business with a computer that can do what they want, especially a short term request like this?

To @smartcard:
    Can you run your MATLAB simulation on a borrowed computer over a weekend? Say, when a business computer may not be needed? Do you really need a server on the internet for this job?

General comment about these requests, especially for learners:
    A lot of people want various VPSs and servers for learning Linux or networking or servers or whatever. Some come here begging for one for free. Speaking for myself, I wonder why they resist the idea of downloading and configuring a virtual environment with a network, a couple virtual servers, etc. on their personal computers? VirtualBox and Linux are both free, as we all know.

(Yeah, there is something magical about controlling your own server in a remote location far away. Nonetheless, I believe that some "students" would be better served if they could resist the urge to get a VPS and start by creating a Linux virtual machine on their personal computer. Perhaps they have all ditched their computers for smartphones.)

I don't find desktop nearby or with my friend that comes with 8 Core CUP and 16GB RAM

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Try Amazon AWS, Oracle Cloud, Microsoft or Google Cloud services so be able to pay per hour basis what ever specs

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@smartcard said:
    I don't find desktop nearby or with my friend that comes with 8 Core CPU and 16GB RAM

Woot.com sells 8-core 16GB desktop computers for around $300.
    They are typically refurbished machines coming off business lease.
    They come with Windows 10 Professional (full license) but cannot run Windows 11 due to 6th gen processor.

MATLAB license costs $900 for one year.
    Buying a $300 computer is a small fraction of that price.

• @yoursunny said:

Maybe he has a "nudge nudge wink wink say no more say no more" licence.

Thanked by 1beanman109
  • @ralf said:

@yoursunny said:

Maybe he has a "nudge nudge wink wink say no more say no more" licence.

👀👀

• If you're a student with .edu or educational institute email, I suggest you to sign up for Microsoft Azure Students Scholarship Programme that gives you US$100 credits per year as long as you're a student and the email is active. You can do anything with the credits, including spinning up high memory servers.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2022

Google Cloud will give you $300 in trial credits, can be used for a 96 vCPU server for a couple of days running Windows iirc

• @intermall said:
    If you're a student with .edu or educational institute email, I suggest you to sign up for Microsoft Azure Students Scholarship Programme that gives you US$100 credits per year as long as you're a student and the email is active. You can do anything with the credits, including spinning up high memory servers.

Thanks I will do this

• @Advin said:
    Google Cloud will give you $300 in trial credits, can be used for a 96 vCPU server for a couple of days running Windows iirc

Another great suggestion. Thanks

• By the way I also found Hetzner is another great option with hourly fee VPS

• @smartcard said:
    By the way I also found Hetzner is another great option with hourly fee VPS

I came here to mention this.