Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup - hourly billing questions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup - hourly billing questions

Hello,
please I would like buy Netcup VPS.
So I have some questions about billing.
1) Is possible create VPS only for one hour, for test my app and next day create new VPS?

2) When VPS turn off is billing or no?

Thank you for help.
Regards

Comments

• As per Netcup's website

The tariff can be terminated at any time. Thereby, months and hours billed in advance are refunded in whole parts. One hour costs one/720th of the monthly price.

So I guess that means

1. You will be charged for the full month and then refunded for the unused hours
    2. You will have to terminate (a.k.a delete/cancel) your VPS to get the unused hours refunded
  • Last time I tried it, they charged me for either 6 or 12 months in advance (can’t remember which option). Once I terminated, they refunded me the unused credit.

• Thank you for answer and please when VPS turn off is billing or no?

• @lordnascloud said:
    Thank you for answer and please when VPS turn off is billing or no?

If you simply turn off your VPS, then yes, is billing

If you cancel/terminate your VPS, then no, no is billing

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

@lordnascloud said:
    Thank you for answer and please when VPS turn off is billing or no?

It will be still billing as you are using the resources, you have to complete delete the vps to stop billing.

Also minimum payment term is 6 month.

Have you tried hetzner they billed hourly and charge monthly not like netcup they will charge you first for 6 month and also read their service contract

• @ManishPant said: you have to complete delete the vps to stop billing.

And "delete" for netcup means to actually cancel the contract. It's not a simple on/off switch.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • There was a thread somewhere in the dark archives of LET where I ranted about netcups approach to hourly billing. They indeed bill you a certain time frame (think it was a month) in advance, which for hourly billing sucks hard. Of course, they are going to refund the unused hours, I have no doubt about that. But spinning up several bigger machine can have you paying 100€ in a day even though you just need them for a couple of hours which would equal some 2-3€, perhaps. So you need to have the money lying around to prepay 100€ for a couple hours of "fun". I mean, there's another business where it works like that but it's not netcup, although it also fucks your wallet *jk

Anyway, Netcup performance and pricing is probably great as always. Their pricing policy sucks. I remember @Falzo saying smth about this too, back then. Can't remember though.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited September 2022

@Ympker they simply embrace typical German way for subscriptions with “any time” cancellation. See, for example, die ZEIT magazine. They work the same way. It’s probably a way to create friction because maybe you will give up, or it’s just an old billing system that implements a more agile way of paying that it was not designed for.

Hetzner is a bit of a glitch in the Matrix with their agile hourly billing :smiley:

Thanked by 2Ympker angstrom
  • @sgheghele said:
    @Ympker they simply embrace typical German way for subscriptions with “any time” cancellation. See, for example, die ZEIT magazine. They work the same way. It’s probably a way to create friction because maybe you will give up, or it’s just an old billing system that implements a more agile way of paying that it was not designed for.

Hetzner is a bit of a glitch in the Matrix with their agile hourly billing :smiley:

For flexible hourly billing for a VPS, Hetzner is definitely a better choice than netcup

If you're already a netcup customer and don't mind paying in advance for a hourly VPS, then netcup is a good choice

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Thank you all for detailed reply.